Chapter 1, Paradise Pickles and Preserves
• Rahel returns to her childhood home on a rainy summer's day after twenty-three years' absence. The reason that she is coming back is to see her twin brother, Estha.
• Thoughts, memories, and recollections come to her with tastes, visions and smells.
• Rahel's first memory is the day of the funeral of her eight-year-old cousin, Sophie Mol.
• Two weeks after the funeral, Estha is sent to live with his father in Calcutta, where he is put into a boy's school.
• In the twenty-three years that followed Sophie's death, much has changed in the Kochamma home.
Chapter 2, Pappachi's Moth
• In this chapter, readers learn more about the Kochamma family. They are a Syrian Christian family of upper middle class.
• Ammu, the twins' mother, grows up in Delhi with her brother and parents. When her father retires, the family goes to live in the small town...
This section contains 1,738 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)