|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some tribes, such as the Lakota and Sioux, held special death ceremonies where a sacred pipe was used and the souls were kept to be purified and eventually released. What happened to these ceremonies in the 1890's?
2. Who does Deloria claim came onto the reservations attempting to change Indian culture?
3. Deloria names which of the following as the second type of sacred land?
4. As a criticism of Christian history, Deloria quotes Arnold Toynbee, saying the difficulty is that of viewing a map of the Mediterranean and _________________________.
5. What is Baptism, according to Deloria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Arnold Toynbee mean by his comment that viewing a map of the Mediterranean was pretending it was a map of the world?
2. What is the difference between Christianity and Indian tribal beliefs regarding individuality?
3. Why did Deloria feel it was a problem for Indians to convert to Christianity?
4. Why does Deloria believe sacred places are important?
5. What did "God is Red" list as a disadvantage of the reservations in terms of religion?
6. Why did Potawatomi Chief Metea fear selling his tribe's land?
7. According to Deloria, how does education affect Indians in the modern world?
8. In the book, "God is Red," what advantages are attributed to the establishment of reservations.
9. How did the Indians feel about hanging criminals?
10. How does Canada treat the Canadian Indian tribes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the beliefs and lifestyle of the Amish people. Why does Deloria claim the Indians honor them above other Christians? How do you believe the Amish customs would benefit or hinder American culture today? Provide several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Deloria's meaning when he said Christian doctrine becoming more secular affected various forms of worship. Be sure to include Indian religion and two other forms of worship that were mentioned in the book in your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 14 is titled, "Tribal Religions and Contemporary American Culture." Name at least three positive and three negative ways contemporary American culture has influenced tribal religions. Give several examples from the book to support your response.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)