|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Name the example(s) of the most familiar type of sacred land according to Deloria.
2. Name the example Deloria gives for the third type of sacred land.
3. In Chapter 14, Deloria believed that as technology expanded, tribal religion suffered because of which of the following?
4. What does Deloria claim the Iroquois and Cherokee use as part of their religious practices?
5. According to Deloria, what was a repercussion of the American Indian Religious Freedom Act?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did "God is Red" list as a disadvantage of the reservations in terms of religion?
2. Name a second type of sacred land.
3. Deloria names three types of sacred lands. Describe one of them.
4. How did the Indians feel about hanging criminals?
5. Compare religion and politics from a Christian and an Indian point of view.
6. What are the two propositions that have to do with life and the hereafter? Where did these propositions originate?
7. According to Deloria, what is the major difference between Christianity and Indian religions in regards to death?
8. According to Deloria, how are developments of contemporary American culture and Indian tribal cultures different?
9. Why did Potawatomi Chief Metea fear selling his tribe's land?
10. What ceremony did the federal government ban in the 1890's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Indian beliefs and experiences based on relationships with other living beings? Explain your answers by providing several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Indian and Christian creation beliefs. Explain your answers by providing several examples from the book and Christian religion.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Deloria discusses baptism and how it has been used during war. What is the purpose of baptism according to Christian tradition? Discuss the examples in the book and whether you agree or disagree with the methods described. Tell why you do or why you do not agree with these methods.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)