|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Deloria makes the following statement in Chapter 11, "There is no salvation in tribal religions apart from ______________________."
2. Deloria declares in Chapter 15 that to this day, which country still refuses to recognize land titles to their Indians?
3. In Chapter 10, who is given credit for developing the early idea of the immortality of the soul?
4. In Chapter 17, Deloria ponders whether old tribal religions can do which of the following?
5. Deloria claims that in Australia, the Aborigines ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Deloria feels that the Amish are a special group of Christians.
2. In the book, "God is Red," what advantages are attributed to the establishment of reservations.
3. Why did Deloria feel it was a problem for Indians to convert to Christianity?
4. Deloria states that Christianity is not wrong, but that if there ever is an internal collapse in Christian doctrine, what will be there?
5. Deloria claims modern people often returned to the reservations. What is his reason for saying this?
6. Explain the Indian philosophy of salvation and personal judgment.
7. What did Arnold Toynbee mean by his comment that viewing a map of the Mediterranean was pretending it was a map of the world?
8. What ceremony did the federal government ban in the 1890's?
9. What is the difference between Christianity and Indian tribal beliefs regarding individuality?
10. Compare religion and politics from a Christian and an Indian point of view.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Indian and Christian creation beliefs. Explain your answers by providing several examples from the book and Christian religion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss several advantages and disadvantages of establishing reservations. How could the reservation system have been improved? In lieu of reservations, what other plan could the government have used to control or support the Indian population? Be sure to support your belief with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 14 is titled, "Tribal Religions and Contemporary American Culture." Name at least three positive and three negative ways contemporary American culture has influenced tribal religions. Give several examples from the book to support your response.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)