|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author explains that Indian religions do not promote which of the following?
2. With regards to supernatural phenomena, such as meteors and supernovae, Deloria accuses Christians of which of the following?
3. What did the Gold Rush cause the American Indians to do?
4. According to the author, one of the first distinctions between Christianity and Indian religions is what?
5. Chapter 4 discusses the fact that liberals tend to ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When considering a Supreme Being, in addition to physical images, what type of personality traits might he possess and why?
2. How do tribal religions interpret creation?
3. Was it a good thing that Americans began to take more interest in the American Indians in the late 1960's? Why?
4. Why did a group of Mohawk Indians block the Canadian border at Cornwall Bridge?
5. Discuss why Young Chief, a Cayuse, refused to sign the Treaty of Walla Walla.
6. Discuss the term "Vanishing Americans."
7. Explain the American Indian's methods of record keeping.
8. Why does Deloria believe the Christian ideal of keeping peace on earth is not true?
9. Another difference between Christianity and Indian religion is the belief regarding how sin entered the world. Explain.
10. How are beliefs based on political persuasion, as explained by Deloria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Deloria's meaning when he said Christian doctrine becoming more secular affected various forms of worship. Be sure to include Indian religion and two other forms of worship that were mentioned in the book in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, Deloria discusses the Indian belief that the government was raping North America. What did Deloria mean by this statement? What current American activities could be described in the same manner? Explain your answers by providing several examples from the book and current affairs.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Deloria discusses baptism and how it has been used during war. What is the purpose of baptism according to Christian tradition? Discuss the examples in the book and whether you agree or disagree with the methods described. Tell why you do or why you do not agree with these methods.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)