|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Deloria claims it is widely believed that the lack of record keeping in American Indian history is probably responsible for which of the following?
2. In Chapter 3, "The Religious Challenge," what incident is being discussed?
3. Finish this sentence: Deloria teaches that American Indians had almost no use for __________________________________.
4. Chapter 7, "The Spatial Problem of History," addresses the spatial issues involved with which of the following?
5. With regards to supernatural phenomena, such as meteors and supernovae, Deloria accuses Christians of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did a group of Mohawk Indians block the Canadian border at Cornwall Bridge?
2. Why are Indians concerned with man's domination over the rest of creation?
3. How does the Indian connection to nature relate to their religious beliefs?
4. Explain religious controversy in regards to Indian religions and Christian religions.
5. What did the explosion of New Age culture, numerology, astrology, martial arts, shamanism and witchcraft have in common according to Deloria?
6. What are the differences between Christianity's belief in a Supreme Being and that of Indian religions?
7. How do Indians view creation?
8. When considering a Supreme Being, in addition to physical images, what type of personality traits might he possess and why?
9. Discuss the term "Vanishing Americans."
10. Was it a good thing that Americans began to take more interest in the American Indians in the late 1960's? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deloria examines the origins of religion from various cultures. Discuss at least three of these origins that were mentioned in the book, "God is Red" and compare/contrast these beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Deloria believes God is red and some believe God is dead. After studying this book, do you agree or disagree with Deloria's claim that God is red? Why or why not? How would you respond to claims that God is dead? Explain your answers with several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How are Indian beliefs and experiences based on relationships with other living beings? Explain your answers by providing several examples from the book.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)