|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, "Natural and Hybrid Peoples," Deloria discusses the various images invoked when one thinks about which of the following?
2. Chapter 5 discusses the differences among religions on what topic?
3. According to Deloria, who believes creation will eventually end in destruction and judgment?
4. Why do some Americans object to the term "Native Americans"?
5. How did large groups of whites defile Indian burial grounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the differences between Christianity's belief in a Supreme Being and that of Indian religions?
2. Why did the Indians begin protesting in the 1960's?
3. Why does Deloria believe the Christian ideal of keeping peace on earth is not true?
4. Why did the National Indian Youth Council publish a pamphlet titled, "When Our Grandfathers Had Guns?"
5. Discuss the two Indian stereotypes identified by Deloria prior to the incident at Wounded Knee.
6. Discuss the term "Vanishing Americans."
7. How do American Indians tend to view their history and religion? Is this similar or different from traditional Western beliefs?
8. Explain religious controversy in regards to Indian religions and Christian religions.
9. Explain the Christian idea of creation.
10. How did the Indians come to receive financial donations from Christian denominations, and why did it take so long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When was the Indian movement? How does the Indian Movement compare to the Civil Rights Movement? Explain your answers by providing several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Deloria examines the origins of religion from various cultures. Discuss at least three of these origins that were mentioned in the book, "God is Red" and compare/contrast these beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Deloria's meaning when he said Christian doctrine becoming more secular affected various forms of worship. Be sure to include Indian religion and two other forms of worship that were mentioned in the book in your discussion.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)