|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Deloria says that some tribal religions believe humans can turn into animals, birds and which of the following?
2. After the 1968 protest, where was the next major protest held?
3. According to Deloria, Arizona tribes used symbols on a _____________ in an attempt to keep events in chronological order.
4. Chapter 8, "Origin of Religio n," states which of the following regarding the origin of religion?
5. By the 1960's, how did many tribes across the country begin to protest their treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the explosion of New Age culture, numerology, astrology, martial arts, shamanism and witchcraft have in common according to Deloria?
2. Explain the different reactions of Christians and Indians to supernatural phenomena, such as meteors and supernovae.
3. Discuss the term "Vanishing Americans."
4. How do Indians view creation?
5. Deloria states some devout Christians may be upset by comparing God to Supreme Beings of other religious groups. Why?
6. How and by whom were Indian burial grounds desecrated?
7. What are the differences between Christianity's belief in a Supreme Being and that of Indian religions?
8. How are beliefs based on political persuasion, as explained by Deloria?
9. Why did the Indians begin protesting in the 1960's?
10. Discuss the two Indian stereotypes identified by Deloria prior to the incident at Wounded Knee.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 15, Deloria discusses the historical treatment of the Aborigine and other native people across the world. Compare and contrast at least three countries mentioned in the book and their treatment of their own native people to that of American Indians.
Essay Topic 2
How does Deloria use the Nuremberg Trials to prove western nations will inevitably become victims of their own intellectual and moral weaknesses? Do you agree or disagree with Deloria's analogy? Provide several examples from the book in your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Indian and Christian creation beliefs. Explain your answers by providing several examples from the book and Christian religion.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)