|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Deloria argues that Christian doctrines of repentance, conversion, redemption, salvation, confession, absolution, and eternal life were created directly as a response to religious beliefs on which of the following?
(a) The human personality.
(b) Life and death.
(c) Salvation into heaven.
(d) How to live quality lives.
2. The pope and Billy Graham believe that the revival of demonism, devil worship, astrological and numerological sciences are the devil's work. How does Deloria view these forms or worship?
(a) People just having fun.
(b) Not devil worship.
(c) Curiosity among teenagers.
(d) Indian experimentation.
3. Why have many people returned to the reservation according to Deloria?
(a) To lean rain dances.
(b) To be healed from ailments.
(c) To attend new universities.
(d) They missed their families.
4. In Chapter 10, regarding immortality of the soul and resurrection of the dead, Deloria claims Indian religions ____________________________.
(a) Show no concern for either doctrine.
(b) Are only interested in the soul's immortality.
(c) No answer is correct.
(d) Believe they are one in the same.
5. In Chapter 14, Deloria asserts that when the younger generation visits the outside world of modern conveniences, which of the following occur?
(a) They are afraid of public transportation.
(b) They love music.
(c) They never return home.
(d) It can cause a lack of harmony in in the Indian home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Deloria claim came onto the reservations attempting to change Indian culture?
2. Name the example Deloria gives for the third type of sacred land.
3. Deloria explains Christian religious interpretation is derived from which of the following?
4. In Chapter 15, what was wrong with the Pope's promise?
5. In Chapter 10, Deloria said tribal communities believe death to be what type of event?.
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare religion and politics from a Christian and an Indian point of view.
2. Why did Potawatomi Chief Metea fear selling his tribe's land?
3. Name the third type of sacred land Deloria mentions in the book.
4. Name a second type of sacred land.
5. Deloria names three types of sacred lands. Describe one of them.
6. Explain the Indian philosophy of salvation and personal judgment.
7. Deloria states that Christianity is not wrong, but that if there ever is an internal collapse in Christian doctrine, what will be there?
8. What are the two propositions that have to do with life and the hereafter? Where did these propositions originate?
9. How are dreams discussed in the chapter on human personality?
10. What is the difference between Christianity and Indian tribal beliefs regarding individuality?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)