|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who is given credit for developing the early idea of the immortality of the soul?
2. In Chapter 17, Deloria claims the earth is _______________________________________.
(a) Suffering greatly from neglect and abuse.
(b) Suffering from religious tension.
(d) Large enough for all religions to live together peacefully.
3. The third type of sacred land described in Chapter 16 is which of the following?
(a) Agriculturally fertile land.
(b) Overwhelming holiness.
(c) The desert.
(d) The birthplace of Geronimo.
4. Deloria explains Christian religious interpretation is derived from which of the following?
(a) Indian chiefs.
(b) Billy Graham.
(c) Christian doctrine.
(d) The pope.
5. Deloria believes that the distinction between the immortality of the soul and the Christian ideal of the resurrection of the dead is best described as which of the following?
(a) As something that should not even be discussed.
(b) As irrelevant.
(c) Confusing to the Indians.
(d) As a vital one.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, regarding immortality of the soul and resurrection of the dead, Deloria claims Indian religions ____________________________.
2. According to Deloria, in tribal communities a person is judged as useful or useless by his or her ___________________________.
3. According to Deloria in Chapter 11, what creates Christian denominations?
4. Name the example(s) of the most familiar type of sacred land according to Deloria.
5. Deloria explains that Indians believe that the souls of dead people often remain at the place of their __________,
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Indians feel about hanging criminals?
2. According to Deloria, what is the major difference between Christianity and Indian religions in regards to death?
3. What did "God is Red" list as a disadvantage of the reservations in terms of religion?
4. Name a second type of sacred land.
5. What theme is repeated throughout the few chapters, if not the book? (Pertaining to God and individuals.)
6. Explain the Indian philosophy of salvation and personal judgment.
7. Name one reason why some of the Indian tribal ceremonies were prohibited.
8. How does Canada treat the Canadian Indian tribes?
9. Name the third type of sacred land Deloria mentions in the book.
10. Why did Deloria feel it was a problem for Indians to convert to Christianity?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)