|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By 1887, Deloria claims the movement to suppress religious freedom on the reservation almost succeeded because of which of the following?
(a) Many tribal religious ceremonies had been banned.
(b) Catholic churches were everywhere.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Baptist churches were everywhere.
2. Deloria names which of the following as the second type of sacred land?
(a) Buffalo Gap.
(b) Where oil is discovered.
(c) Wounded Knee.
3. Deloria believes culture shapes religion in which of the following ways?
(a) European countries.
(b) Alaskan aboriginal tribes.
(c) Tribal Indian cultures.
(d) Contemporary American culture.
4. According to Deloria, how did outside influences affect tribal religion?
(a) Many Indians converted to Christianity.
(b) Many Indians were confused.
(c) Tribal religion was not affected in any way.
(d) Tribal religion basically disappeared.
5. According to Deloria, in tribal communities a person is judged as useful or useless by his or her ___________________________.
(a) Degree of participation in the community.
(b) Family status.
(d) Hunting abilities.
Short Answer Questions
1. Deloria believes tribal religions did not consider life after death _________________.
2. In Chapter 11, Deloria claims religion must relate to which of the following?
3. Some tribes, such as the Lakota and Sioux, held special death ceremonies where a sacred pipe was used and the souls were kept to be purified and eventually released. What happened to these ceremonies in the 1890's?
4. Deloria claims that religion dominates a tribal culture and which of the following?
5. What does Deloria claim the Iroquois and Cherokee use as part of their religious practices?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name one reason why some of the Indian tribal ceremonies were prohibited.
2. According to Deloria, how are developments of contemporary American culture and Indian tribal cultures different?
3. What did "God is Red" list as a disadvantage of the reservations in terms of religion?
4. Name the third type of sacred land Deloria mentions in the book.
5. Why did Deloria feel it was a problem for Indians to convert to Christianity?
6. According to Deloria, how does education affect Indians in the modern world?
7. Explain the Indian philosophy of salvation and personal judgment.
8. Why did Potawatomi Chief Metea fear selling his tribe's land?
9. Name a few of the religious doctrines Deloria believes pertain to the human personality.
10. In the book, "God is Red," what advantages are attributed to the establishment of reservations.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)