|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By Deloria's definition in Chapter 16, what is the most familiar type of sacred land?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Yellowstone National Park.
(c) Rain dance sites.
(d) The site of a historical event.
2. Deloria believes tribal religions did not consider life after death _________________.
(a) To be real.
(b) To be important.
(c) To differ much from the life they were living.
(d) To be threatening.
3. In Chapter 10, Deloria claims Indians believed which of the following if a person was hanged for an offense?
(a) It was a great honor.
(b) His soul would retaliate against the hangman.
(c) It was a dishonorable death.
(d) The rope confined the soul in the body.
4. Deloria believes that Western commercial interests and Christianity have gone hand in hand to do which of the following?
(a) Unite Indian tribes worldwide.
(b) Annihilate anyone that disagrees with them.
(c) Modernize the world.
(d) Destroy nations of the world for trade and conversion.
5. Almost universally, Deloria claims tribal religions produced people ___________________.
(a) Afraid of death.
(b) Unafraid of death.
(c) Willing to die for their land.
(d) Willing to become Christians.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, regarding immortality of the soul and resurrection of the dead, Deloria claims Indian religions ____________________________.
2. How does Deloria believe the Indians felt about the establishment of reservations?
3. Deloria names which of the following as the second type of sacred land?
4. In Chapter 11, which of the following does Deloria emphasize regarding Indian religion?
5. By 1887, Deloria claims the movement to suppress religious freedom on the reservation almost succeeded because of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two propositions that have to do with life and the hereafter? Where did these propositions originate?
2. Deloria states that Christianity is not wrong, but that if there ever is an internal collapse in Christian doctrine, what will be there?
3. How does Canada treat the Canadian Indian tribes?
4. What did Arnold Toynbee mean by his comment that viewing a map of the Mediterranean was pretending it was a map of the world?
5. What is the difference between Christianity and Indian tribal beliefs regarding individuality?
6. According to Deloria, what is the major difference between Christianity and Indian religions in regards to death?
7. Why did Deloria feel it was a problem for Indians to convert to Christianity?
8. Name one reason why some of the Indian tribal ceremonies were prohibited.
9. Name the third type of sacred land Deloria mentions in the book.
10. According to Deloria, how are developments of contemporary American culture and Indian tribal cultures different?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)