|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Deloria claims it is widely believed that the lack of record keeping in American Indian history is probably responsible for which of the following?
(a) Mystery surrounding Indian events.
(b) Lack of historical information.
(c) Great oral traditions of the Indian tribes.
(d) Lost dates and times.
2. How does Deloria believe some Christians will feel about his comparisons of Christianity and Indian tribal religions?
3. Deloria explains that many Christian religions believe God exists how?
(a) Only inside churches.
(b) No answer is correct.
(c) In human form.
(d) Only in America.
4. During the 1960's and 1970's, large numbers of American Indians lived in what areas?
(a) Texas and New Mexico.
(c) The Rocky Mountains.
(d) The West, around the Great Lakes, and in the southeastern U. S.
5. The majority of Indian religions, claims Deloria, refuse to think of a supreme being how?
(b) During the day.
(c) As an animal.
(d) At all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group accused the Gallup Chamber of Commerce of holding a Gallup ceremony in which Indians were not allowed to participate?
2. Why were the Gallup Indians upset with the town?
3. Deloria claims that the only belief common to both Christianity and Indian religions is which of the following?
4. How did large groups of whites defile Indian burial grounds?
5. Although tribal religions do believe in creation, Deloria states they do not believe in which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it a good thing that Americans began to take more interest in the American Indians in the late 1960's? Why?
2. Discuss the two Indian stereotypes identified by Deloria prior to the incident at Wounded Knee.
3. How do tribal religions interpret creation?
4. How are beliefs based on political persuasion, as explained by Deloria?
5. Discuss why Young Chief, a Cayuse, refused to sign the Treaty of Walla Walla.
6. Why did the National Indian Youth Council publish a pamphlet titled, "When Our Grandfathers Had Guns?"
7. How and by whom were Indian burial grounds desecrated?
8. Explain the American Indian's methods of record keeping.
9. Why did the Indians begin protesting in the 1960's?
10. Explain the Christian idea of creation.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)