|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, the author believes Christians tend to see creation as the beginning of time and what?
(a) A mythological tale.
(b) A specific sequence of events.
(c) A divine plan.
(d) The beginning of religion.
2. According to Deloria, who believes creation will eventually end in destruction and judgment?
3. In Chapter 5, the author explains that some tribal religions believe humans can not only change into animals and birds, but they can also change into what?
(a) Witches and wizards.
(b) Plants and rocks.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Other people.
4. Deloria claims it is widely believed that the lack of record keeping in American Indian history is probably responsible for which of the following?
(a) Great oral traditions of the Indian tribes.
(b) Mystery surrounding Indian events.
(c) Lack of historical information.
(d) Lost dates and times.
5. After the 1968 protest, where was the next major protest held?
(a) Memphis, Tennessee.
(b) Boulder, Colorado.
(c) Sacramento, California.
(d) Gallup, New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1960's, the Indians protested against government programs that stripped timber from their forests. What other privilege was taken away?
2. In Chapter3, ecologists tried to turn attention away from the Civil Rights Movement by turning attention to what?
3. In Chapter 3, "The Religious Challenge," what incident is being discussed?
4. Name one reason mentioned in Chapter 4 that tribal religions hold a place sacred.
5. The creation of man is also part of the Christian _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Deloria and a radio talk show host find so funny and why?
2. Why does Deloria consider the origin of religion vague?
3. Deloria states some devout Christians may be upset by comparing God to Supreme Beings of other religious groups. Why?
4. Why did the Indians begin protesting in the 1960's?
5. Explain the Christian idea of creation.
6. How did WWII impact the Indians?
7. How did the Indians come to receive financial donations from Christian denominations, and why did it take so long?
8. What did the explosion of New Age culture, numerology, astrology, martial arts, shamanism and witchcraft have in common according to Deloria?
9. Discuss the term "Vanishing Americans."
10. Discuss why Young Chief, a Cayuse, refused to sign the Treaty of Walla Walla.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)