|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, "Natural and Hybrid Peoples," Deloria discusses the various images invoked when one thinks about which of the following?
(a) Indian warriors.
(b) Space Aliens.
(c) A Supreme Being.
(d) Christian preachers.
2. In Chapter 8, the origins of religion are examined from which of the following?
(a) The Germanic myth to the Hopi.
(b) Japan to Alaska.
(c) No answer is correct.
(d) The Germanic myth to Columbus.
3. Deloria believes one of the greatest offenses to the Indian tribes was what?
(a) Locking them in jail.
(b) Forcing them to cut their hair.
(c) Changing their names.
(d) The desecration of burial grounds.
4. According to Deloria, when did many traditionally religious people begin to embrace the Indian religion?
5. Chapter 5 discusses the differences among religions on what topic?
(b) Life after death.
Short Answer Questions
1. A major development during the 1970's and 1980's was ___________________.
2. During WWII, why did many Indians move to the west?
3. Deloria says that some tribal religions believe humans can turn into animals, birds and which of the following?
4. In Chapter 1, Deloria claims that the domestic affairs of the United States included the American Indians up until what date?
5. In Chapter 2, what brought even more attention to the American Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Indians view creation?
2. Why did a group of Mohawk Indians block the Canadian border at Cornwall Bridge?
3. Deloria states some devout Christians may be upset by comparing God to Supreme Beings of other religious groups. Why?
4. How do American Indians tend to view their history and religion? Is this similar or different from traditional Western beliefs?
5. Explain the American Indian's methods of record keeping.
6. How do tribal religions interpret creation?
7. What did the explosion of New Age culture, numerology, astrology, martial arts, shamanism and witchcraft have in common according to Deloria?
8. Why does Deloria consider the origin of religion vague?
9. Discuss the two Indian stereotypes identified by Deloria prior to the incident at Wounded Knee.
10. When considering a Supreme Being, in addition to physical images, what type of personality traits might he possess and why?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)