|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The American Indian Religious Freedom Act gave Congress which of the following powers?
(a) Protect and preserve the practice of traditional tribal religious ceremonies.
(b) Restrict traditional tribal religious ceremonies.
(c) Change the tribal ceremonial year holiday dates.
(d) Close on tribal holidays.
2. In Chapter 11, which of the following does Deloria emphasize regarding Indian religion?
(a) A personal relationship with a personal savior is mandatory.
(b) Following the ten commandments is mandatory.
(c) There is no worship on Sunday.
(d) A personal relationship with a personal savior is not required.
3. Deloria declares in Chapter 15 that to this day, which country still refuses to recognize land titles to their Indians?
(b) United States.
4. While Christianity is a relationship between one person and God, how does Deloria explain tribal religions?
(a) More complicated because of ceremonial rites.
(b) A covenant between a particular god and a particular community.
(c) Not as personal.
(d) Always changing.
5. What is Baptism, according to Deloria?
(a) Mechanical entrance into the next life.
(b) Becoming popular with Indian religions.
(c) Only for children.
(d) Totally unnecessary.
6. Name the example(s) of the most familiar type of sacred land according to Deloria.
(a) Gettysburg and Wounded Knee.
(b) Wounded Knee.
(d) Mount Rushmore.
7. Deloria claims that religion dominates a tribal culture and which of the following?
(a) Political activity is less important.
(b) Political activity and religious activity are intertwined.
(c) Ceremonial activities are not political.
(d) Political activity and religious activity are always clearly defined.
8. The title of Chapter Ten is "___________ and Religion."
9. In 1821, the Potawatomi chief, Metea, said the following when confronted with surrendering this tribe's land: "We are fearful we shall offend their spirits if we sell our lands; and we are fearful we shall offend you if we do not sell them." Who was Metea referring to when he said "their"?
(a) The buffalo.
(b) The army.
(c) Members of his tribe.
(d) His ancestors.
10. In Chapter 14, Deloria asserts that when the younger generation visits the outside world of modern conveniences, which of the following occur?
(a) They are afraid of public transportation.
(b) They never return home.
(c) They love music.
(d) It can cause a lack of harmony in in the Indian home.
11. According to Deloria, what other group has similar success to the Amish?
12. Who or what dictates the Christian belief of life after death, according to Deloria?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Denominational preference.
(c) The pope.
(d) What the preacher says.
13. Deloria recognized which country for having the best reputation for dealing with aborigine peoples?
(b) United States.
14. Deloria states that thousands of people have near-death experiences that indicate some type of afterlife existence . Finish the following statement, "...although it does not seem to have any connection with _____________________."
(a) Christian philosophy.
(b) Any recognizable religion that we follow today.
(c) Modern Christianity.
(d) Tribal beliefs.
15. The pope and Billy Graham believe that the revival of demonism, devil worship, astrological and numerological sciences are the devil's work. How does Deloria view these forms or worship?
(a) People just having fun.
(b) Not devil worship.
(c) Indian experimentation.
(d) Curiosity among teenagers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, how does Deloria explain why the Indians altered the dates of their ceremonial year?
2. According to Deloria, what was the result of many Christian zealots posing as Indian agents for the Bureau of Indian Affairs?
3. Deloria's negative opinion of Oral Roberts stems from what event?
4. As a criticism of Christian history, Deloria quotes Arnold Toynbee, saying the difficulty is that of viewing a map of the Mediterranean and _________________________.
5. If Christianity faces internal collapse, Deloria offers which of the following suggestions?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)