|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Deloria declares that the interpretation of religion has always been done through which of the following?
(a) Christian leaders.
(b) The authority of Westerners.
(c) Indian chiefs.
(d) The females of the culture.
2. In Chapter 14, Deloria expresses concern about the ongoing tug-of-war between the old tribal culture and ________________________.
(a) Modern conveniences and education.
(b) Missionaries and politicians.
(c) Technology and education.
(d) Technology and modern conveniences.
3. In Chapter 14, Deloria saw one advantage of reservations as which of the following?
(a) No one bothered them.
(b) They had their own schools and hospitals.
(c) It kept outsiders away from the Indians.
(d) They were able to practice their own religion.
4. According to Deloria, what was a repercussion of the American Indian Religious Freedom Act?
(a) It created problems when referred to in litigation regarding construction projects and federal land management.
(b) It made other religions want their own act.
(c) No answer is correct.
(d) Christian riots were held in protest.
5. Chapter 16 discusses moral responsibility and ___________________.
(a) Christian error.
(b) Indian religion.
(c) Sacred places.
(d) Christian conversion.
6. Name one problem with modern society and tribal cultures according to Deloria.
(a) Most tribes prefer to use their native language instead of English.
(b) Some tribes choose not to use modern conveniences, such as electricity.
(c) The Indians prefer to live in tepees.
(d) Automobiles are not allowed on reservations.
7. The third type of sacred land described in Chapter 16 is which of the following?
(a) The birthplace of Geronimo.
(b) Overwhelming holiness.
(c) The desert.
(d) Agriculturally fertile land.
8. Deloria's negative opinion of Oral Roberts stems from what event?
(a) Their differences in religion.
(b) Deloria does not like Oklahoma.
(c) Roberts had more money.
(d) Roberts' claim that God wanted him to raise money for missions.
9. In Chapter 11, which of the following does Deloria emphasize regarding Indian religion?
(a) A personal relationship with a personal savior is mandatory.
(b) There is no worship on Sunday.
(c) A personal relationship with a personal savior is not required.
(d) Following the ten commandments is mandatory.
10. Why have many people returned to the reservation according to Deloria?
(a) To attend new universities.
(b) To be healed from ailments.
(c) To lean rain dances.
(d) They missed their families.
11. According to Deloria, in tribal communities a person is judged as useful or useless by his or her ___________________________.
(a) Family status.
(b) Degree of participation in the community.
(c) Hunting abilities.
12. According to Deloria, how did outside influences affect tribal religion?
(a) Many Indians were confused.
(b) Tribal religion was not affected in any way.
(c) Many Indians converted to Christianity.
(d) Tribal religion basically disappeared.
13. Deloria claims in Chapter 12 that American Christians discourage which of the following practices fundamental to tribal religions?
(b) Marches against the government.
(c) Ceremonial dancing.
(d) Joining religious beliefs to political beliefs.
14. Deloria names which of the following as the second type of sacred land?
(a) Buffalo Gap.
(b) Where oil is discovered.
(c) Wounded Knee.
15. Chapter 12 details __________________ and how it affects religious cultures.
(a) Church hierarchy.
(b) Personal beliefs.
(c) Political movements.
(d) Group mentality.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, regarding immortality of the soul and resurrection of the dead, Deloria claims Indian religions ____________________________.
2. As a criticism of Christian history, Deloria quotes Arnold Toynbee, saying the difficulty is that of viewing a map of the Mediterranean and _________________________.
3. What is Baptism, according to Deloria?
4. What people do Deloria claim fears death more than any other group?
5. Deloria recognized which country for having the best reputation for dealing with aborigine peoples?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)