|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Deloria in Chapter 14, when did tribal cultures see a regeneration of the old ways.
2. Deloria names which of the following as the second type of sacred land?
(a) Wounded Knee.
(c) Where oil is discovered.
(d) Buffalo Gap.
3. The pope and Billy Graham believe that the revival of demonism, devil worship, astrological and numerological sciences are the devil's work. How does Deloria view these forms or worship?
(a) People just having fun.
(b) Curiosity among teenagers.
(c) Indian experimentation.
(d) Not devil worship.
4. Deloria makes the following statement in Chapter 11, "There is no salvation in tribal religions apart from ______________________."
(a) The continuance of the tribe itself.
(b) Protection of sacred burial grounds.
(d) The land.
5. Some tribes, such as the Lakota and Sioux, held special death ceremonies where a sacred pipe was used and the souls were kept to be purified and eventually released. What happened to these ceremonies in the 1890's?
(a) The government banned this activity.
(b) This activity became obsolete.
(c) The government wanted to join in the ceremony.
(d) This activity became popular with Christians.
6. In Chapter 17, Deloria states that Christianity is _________________.
(b) Based on the Bible.
(c) Not wrong.
7. What is Baptism, according to Deloria?
(a) Totally unnecessary.
(b) Mechanical entrance into the next life.
(c) Only for children.
(d) Becoming popular with Indian religions.
8. Deloria states that thousands of people have near-death experiences that indicate some type of afterlife existence . Finish the following statement, "...although it does not seem to have any connection with _____________________."
(a) Modern Christianity.
(b) Any recognizable religion that we follow today.
(c) Tribal beliefs.
(d) Christian philosophy.
9. In Chapter 14, Deloria expresses concern about the ongoing tug-of-war between the old tribal culture and ________________________.
(a) Modern conveniences and education.
(b) Missionaries and politicians.
(c) Technology and education.
(d) Technology and modern conveniences.
10. In what manner was it legal for the Europeans to confiscate the Indian land?
(a) By force or purchase.
(b) No answer is correct.
(c) By force only.
(d) By purchase only.
11. In Chapter 10, Deloria claims Indians believed which of the following if a person was hanged for an offense?
(a) It was a great honor.
(b) It was a dishonorable death.
(c) His soul would retaliate against the hangman.
(d) The rope confined the soul in the body.
12. The American Indian Religious Freedom Act gave Congress which of the following powers?
(a) Restrict traditional tribal religious ceremonies.
(b) Protect and preserve the practice of traditional tribal religious ceremonies.
(c) Close on tribal holidays.
(d) Change the tribal ceremonial year holiday dates.
13. In Chapter 10, who is given credit for developing the early idea of the immortality of the soul?
14. Deloria claims that religion dominates a tribal culture and which of the following?
(a) Political activity is less important.
(b) Political activity and religious activity are intertwined.
(c) Ceremonial activities are not political.
(d) Political activity and religious activity are always clearly defined.
15. By 1887, Deloria claims the movement to suppress religious freedom on the reservation almost succeeded because of which of the following?
(a) Baptist churches were everywhere.
(b) Catholic churches were everywhere.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Many tribal religious ceremonies had been banned.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Deloria in Chapter 11, what Christian community is admired by countless followers of Indian religions?
2. According to Deloria, how did outside influences affect tribal religion?
3. By the 1500's, Deloria claims it was popularly accepted that the Indians could live on their natural land, until which of the following took place?
4. The third type of sacred land described in Chapter 16 is which of the following?
5. In Chapter 15, Deloria said the United States established a claims commission in order to do which of the following?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)