|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The National Indian Youth Council published a pamphlet to inform the public of Gallup's actions. What was the title of this pamphlet?
(a) "Wait Until We Get Even."
(b) "When Our Grandfathers Had Guns."
(c) "How to Treat Indians."
(d) "Shame on Gallup."
2. What did the Civil Rights Movement promise?
(a) Religious freedom.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) A better society.
(d) Lower taxes.
3. In Chapter 5, Deloria explains that the Indian beliefs of creation go back to what concept?
(a) Time and space.
(b) Chronological events.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Old verses new.
4. Chapter 5 discusses the differences among religions on what topic?
(c) Life after death.
5. Deloria also claims that many Christians are "married" to the idea that Columbus ___________________.
(a) Came from England.
(b) Is never wrong.
(c) Failed on his journey.
(d) Discovered America.
6. What does BIA stand for?
(a) Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(b) Brooklyn Indian Administration.
(c) Basic Indian Area.
(d) Blackfoot Indian Association.
7. What is the purpose of the American Indian Religious Freedom Resolution?
(a) Protects Indian children from being forced to attend Sunday School.
(b) Forbids Indians from attending white churches.
(c) Allows whites to participate in Indian ceremonial rites.
(d) Protects the religion and ceremonial rites of American Indians.
8. How was one way Indians tried to preserve their rights in Chapter 1?
(a) By retaliating on white cemeteries.
(b) By holding whites hostage.
(c) By holding hunger strikes.
(d) By using the legal system.
9. In Chapter 8, the origins of religion are examined from which of the following?
(a) The Germanic myth to the Hopi.
(b) No answer is correct.
(c) The Germanic myth to Columbus.
(d) Japan to Alaska.
10. Who refused to sign the Treaty of Walla Walla because he felt all of creation was not represented in the agreement?
(a) Chief Tohono.
(b) Chief Little Crow.
(c) Chief Young.
(d) Chief Bear.
11. When was the BIA ordered to find areas for the California Indians to reside?
(a) During WWI.
(b) During the Great Depression.
(c) During WWII.
(d) During the Civil Rights Movement.
12. Chapter 5 says Christians believe creation began when?
(a) When Adam enters the world.
(b) At conception.
(c) No answer is correct.
(d) We are born.
13. In Chapter 6, another major distinction between Christianity and tribal religions that Deloria mentions is which of the following?
(a) No religious controversy between tribes.
(b) All tribal religions are controversial.
(c) No answer is correct.
(d) No religious controversy between Christians.
14. During the 1960's protests, why were the Indians angry?
(a) Their population was decreasing.
(b) Casinos were closed.
(c) 100 year old treaties were being violated.
(d) They had no place to live.
15. In Chapter 1, why were many Indians arrested illegally?
(a) The Indians were not read their legal rights.
(b) Federal government did not have jurisdiction.
(c) The Indians were in Canada.
(d) It is illegal to arrest an Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 4 discusses the fact that liberals tend to ___________________________.
2. Deloria claims in Chapter 1 that "token" Indians were always present on what holidays?
3. On what issue was the 1968 protest?
4. In Chapter 2, what brought even more attention to the American Indians?
5. By the 1960's, how did many tribes across the country begin to protest their treatment?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)