|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 1960's, what made the American people realize that there were still a large number of American Indians in the United States?
(a) More movies about Indians were made.
(b) Many Indians moved to the city.
(c) It was on the Internet.
(d) Indian protests.
2. Finish this sentence: Deloria teaches that American Indians had almost no use for __________________________________.
(b) Living long lives.
(c) Worshipping trees.
(d) Keeping track of past events.
3. With regards to supernatural phenomena, such as meteors and supernovae, Deloria accuses Christians of which of the following?
(a) Joined the Indians in celebration.
(b) Celebrated the events.
(c) Tended to fear celestial happenings.
(d) Hid in their cellars.
4. Chapter 5 says Christians believe creation began when?
(a) No answer is correct.
(b) We are born.
(c) When Adam enters the world.
(d) At conception.
5. In the 1960's, the Indians protested against government programs that stripped timber from their forests. What other privilege was taken away?
(a) Fishing rights.
(c) Using boats.
(d) Wearing tribal clothing.
6. After the 1968 protest, where was the next major protest held?
(a) Memphis, Tennessee.
(b) Boulder, Colorado.
(c) Sacramento, California.
(d) Gallup, New Mexico.
7. How does Deloria believe some Christians will feel about his comparisons of Christianity and Indian tribal religions?
8. The majority of Indian religions, claims Deloria, refuse to think of a supreme being how?
(a) During the day.
(c) At all.
(d) As an animal.
9. Until the 1970's, why did the term "vanishing Americans" refer to American Indians?
(a) They all moved to Canada.
(b) There were not any at Wal Mart.
(c) Most of them had died.
(d) Most believed they were extinct.
10. Deloria believes Christian theologians have failed to explain how ___________________.
(a) Sin is perceived.
(b) Evil can exist in a perfect world.
(c) Adam came to exist.
(d) Creation evolved.
11. Why do some Americans object to the term "Native Americans"?
(a) The title "American Indian" is politically correct.
(b) The word "native" bears a negative connotation.
(c) They believe anyone born in the United States is a native American.
(d) Some people object to everything.
12. Name one major development between 1972 and 1990 that was mentioned in Chapter 2.
(a) No answer is correct.
(b) The abolition of the Indian Christian Assembly.
(c) The creation of the Indian Christian Assembly.
(d) Integration of religious Indian beliefs with that of traditional churches.
13. Chapter 1 explains that the Indians revere their dead and believe their burial grounds to be _________.
(a) No answers are correct.
14. Deloria teaches that Indian religions view creation as which of the following?
(a) Adam's first breath.
(b) A developing relationship with other living things.
(c) Nothing important.
(d) A constantly evolving event.
15. What group accused the Gallup Chamber of Commerce of holding a Gallup ceremony in which Indians were not allowed to participate?
(a) Central Intelligence Agency.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) National Indian Youth Council.
(d) Bureau of Indidan Affairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, the discussion states that there are many differences between what two religions?
2. What does BIA stand for?
3. In Chapter 5, Deloria explains that the Indian beliefs of creation go back to what concept?
4. In Chapter 8, the origins of religion are examined from which of the following?
5. During the 1960's protests, why were the Indians angry?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)