|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was one way Indians tried to preserve their rights in Chapter 1?
(a) By holding whites hostage.
(b) By holding hunger strikes.
(c) By retaliating on white cemeteries.
(d) By using the legal system.
2. Deloria claims that the only belief common to both Christianity and Indian religions is which of the following?
(b) A creator.
3. The Bible says Adam and Eve were made how?
(a) In a garden.
(b) From plants.
(c) In the likeness of God.
(d) From water.
4. In Chapter 1, why were many Indians arrested illegally?
(a) The Indians were in Canada.
(b) It is illegal to arrest an Indian.
(c) Federal government did not have jurisdiction.
(d) The Indians were not read their legal rights.
5. Deloria asserts that Indian religions think of creation as the environment and how it relates to what?
(a) Other planets.
(b) A specific place.
(d) The moon.
6. Chapter 5 discusses the differences among religions on what topic?
(a) Life after death.
7. During the 1960's, what made the American people realize that there were still a large number of American Indians in the United States?
(a) More movies about Indians were made.
(b) It was on the Internet.
(c) Many Indians moved to the city.
(d) Indian protests.
8. In Chapter 2, Deloria claims Indians were stereotyped into two categories prior to the incident at _______________.
(a) Wounded Knee.
(b) Little Big Horn.
(c) Gallop, New Mexico.
(d) The Colorado River.
9. Chapter 6, "The Concept of History," relates religion to which of the following?
(a) Christianity's evolution throughout history.
(b) Religious wars.
(c) American Indian tribal events.
(d) Chronological details of events.
10. Deloria claims in Chapter 1 that "token" Indians were always present on what holidays?
(a) Christmas and New Years.
(b) Columbus Day and Thanksgiving.
(c) Thanksgiving and Memorial Day.
(d) Easter and Christmas.
11. The National Indian Youth Council published a pamphlet to inform the public of Gallup's actions. What was the title of this pamphlet?
(a) "Shame on Gallup."
(b) "When Our Grandfathers Had Guns."
(c) "Wait Until We Get Even."
(d) "How to Treat Indians."
12. With regards to supernatural phenomena, such as meteors and supernovae, Deloria accuses Christians of which of the following?
(a) Hid in their cellars.
(b) Tended to fear celestial happenings.
(c) Celebrated the events.
(d) Joined the Indians in celebration.
13. Deloria teaches that many tribal religions refer to God as which of the following?
14. During the 1960's and 1970's, large numbers of American Indians lived in what areas?
(b) Texas and New Mexico.
(c) The Rocky Mountains.
(d) The West, around the Great Lakes, and in the southeastern U. S.
15. Deloria explains that many Christian religions believe God exists how?
(a) No answer is correct.
(b) In human form.
(c) Only in America.
(d) Only inside churches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish this sentence: Deloria teaches that American Indians had almost no use for __________________________________.
2. Until the 1970's, why did the term "vanishing Americans" refer to American Indians?
3. When was the BIA ordered to find areas for the California Indians to reside?
4. The first great protest was held in 1968 by the __________ Indians.
5. Chapter 1 says that many people believed Indian settlements were located where?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)