Final Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lewis believe that the world must place first in order to best understand itself?
(a) The transcendent.
(b) Logical thought.
2. What philosopher does Lewis quote in Part IV, Letter 12, "Capital Punishment and Death Penalty"?
3. The philosopher J.J.C. Smart distinguishes between whether an institution of moral rules is a good and idea and what?
(a) Whether it can be implemented.
(b) What is ordained by faith.
(c) What is just.
(d) One's own moral beliefs.
4. What does Lewis see as being wrong about the arguments of those who wish to abolish the death penalty?
(a) They have no logical basis for their claims.
(b) They argue in bad faith.
(c) They imply their opponents have unworthy motivations.
(d) They don't recognize the importance of deterrence.
5. Lewis attributes most of the reduction in church attendance in England to what?
(a) Secular government.
(c) The lack of a central authority for the Church of England.
(d) The lack of laws for compulsory attendance.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the analogy that Lewis uses in Part II, Essay 6, "Meditation in a Toolshed", how can humans observe the "sun" directly?
2. Who was the father of St John the Baptist?
3. Overall, Lewis feels that vivisection should be treated in what way?
4. According to Lewis, why can the church not treat people at "neuters", as does the state?
5. Lewis credits the work of what famous thinker with causing rational people to be concerned mainly with why things are true, rather than whether or not they are true?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)