|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis argues against discounting an argument just because the speaker does what?
(a) Makes a fool of himself.
(b) Ignores his own advice.
(c) Expresses himself poorly.
(d) Changes his opinion.
2. In Part II, Essay 11, "Priestesses in the Church?" what social event does Lewis compare the activity of the church to?
(a) A ball.
(b) A parade.
(c) A rally.
(d) A meeting.
3. In Part II, Essay 14, "Revival or Decay?" Lewis warns against the danger of the increasing worship of what potentially sinful activity?
4. Lewis believes that sexual permissiveness will eventually result an a society unfriendly to what group?
(a) The elderly.
(d) Married couples.
5. Which of the following best states Lewis' opinion on a Christian political party?
(a) It would be a liability to the church.
(b) It would drive away moderates.
(c) It would be unstable.
(d) It would be highly successful.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II, Essay 14, "Revival or Decay?" Lewis warns against a brewing religion centered around what?
2. A Christian political party would lack which of the following?
3. Lewis argues that the character of Christianity suggests what type of a role for God?
4. Lewis suggests that what viewpoint is necessary to accept the supremacy of reason?
5. How many conditions were laid on in the original essay to which Lewis responds in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What practical reasons does Lewis give to reject the idea of women serving as priests?
2. What theological reasons does Lewis give to reject the idea of women serving as priests?
3. What is the problem in the village described in Part IV, Letter 5, "A Village Experience"?
4. What does Lewis find lacking in the "Liberal" or "Modernist" churches?
5. According to Lewis, how might vivisection be justified?
6. Why did Lewis believe that the Nazi emphasis on Nordic myth was absurd?
7. According to Lewis' writings in Part II, Essay 15, "Before We Can Communicate", what challenges do Christians face in dealing with non-believing Englishmen?
8. Why does Lewis believe that an outside-in perspective is impossible to attain?
9. Explain one example of the problem with trying too hard to look at a problem "behind the scenes".
10. What is Bulverism?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)