|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes previous translations of the bible to become worse?
(a) Changes over many editions.
(b) Changed social mores.
(c) The evolution of language.
(d) Evolving doctrine.
2. What does Lewis regard as being essential to achieving the "freeborn mind"?
(a) Economic independence.
(b) An official state religion.
(c) Quality eduction.
(d) Spiritual harmony.
3. The problems discussed in Part II, Essay 12, "God in the Dock" mainly stem from criticisms of Christianity from what quarter?
(a) Dissenting Christians.
4. In Part II, Essay 14, "Revival or Decay?" Lewis warns against a brewing religion centered around what?
(a) Science fiction.
(d) Folk magic.
5. What war do most of Lewis' countrymen believe their nation had a part in starting?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Falklands Island War.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) The Cold War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis suggests that the Anglican church and what other denomination have a more commonalities than differences?
2. What is Lewis' opinion of church hymns?
3. Lewis attributes most of the reduction in church attendance in England to what?
4. In the title of the essay in Part II, Essay 12, "God in the Dock", the term "in the dock" refers to a condition in which what happens?
5. Lewis states that language from what book needs the most explanation for an outsider to understand it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem in the village described in Part IV, Letter 5, "A Village Experience"?
2. What problem does Lewis identify in the rules discussed in Part IV, Letter 1, "Conditions for a Just War"?
3. Why does Lewis find it important for everyone to read older texts?
4. What kind of compulsions does Lewis argue against?
5. Why is Lewis opposed to the commercialism of Christmas?
6. Why does Lewis believe that an outside-in perspective is impossible to attain?
7. Explain some of the problems that Lewis sees as challenges to Christianity in England.
8. Explain the logical fallacy that Lewis cautions against in Part III, Essay 3, "The Sermon and the Lunch"?
9. What is Bulverism?
10. Why does Lewis reject the creation of a Christian political party?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)