|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the analogy that Lewis uses in Part II, Essay 6, "Meditation in a Toolshed", how can humans observe the "sun" directly?
(a) By setting aside prior commitments.
(b) It is impossible.
(c) Through religious doctrine.
(d) Through divine inspiration.
2. In Part II, Essay 14, "Revival or Decay?" Lewis warns against a brewing religion centered around what?
(b) Science fiction.
(d) Folk magic.
3. What qualities does Lewis ascribe to the King James Version of the bible?
(a) Beauty and solemnity.
(b) Truth and insight.
(c) Wordiness and inaccuracy.
(d) Brevity and concision.
4. The philosopher J.J.C. Smart distinguishes between whether an institution of moral rules is a good and idea and what?
(a) One's own moral beliefs.
(b) What is ordained by faith.
(c) Whether it can be implemented.
(d) What is just.
5. Which of the following best states Lewis' opinion on a Christian political party?
(a) It would be unstable.
(b) It would be highly successful.
(c) It would be a liability to the church.
(d) It would drive away moderates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis see as being wrong about the arguments of those who wish to abolish the death penalty?
2. In Part IV, Letter 7, "The Church's Liturgy, Invocation, and Invocation of Saints", Lewis discusses the issue of the Church of England integrating some doctrines from what faith?
3. Lewis fears that doctrinal issues will be settled with changes in what?
4. What name does Lewis recommend for churches that believe in a high degree of supernatural intervention in the world?
5. In the original essay to which Lewis responds in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War", what is the final condition?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)