|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the lectures presented in Part II, Essay 5, "Two Lectures" suggests that evolution is what?
(a) Continuous progress.
(b) Marginally scientific.
(c) An established fact.
(d) Contrary to scripture.
2. Lewis argues that observing things from the "inside" is which of the following?
(a) The ideal method.
(c) Part of a larger analysis.
3. What is the primary importance of Christmas to Lewis?
(a) Keeping church practice modern.
(b) Maintaining tradition of the church.
(c) Demonstrating the dominance of Christianity.
(d) The mystery of the birth of Christ.
4. What does Lewis believe about the birth of St. John the Baptist?
(a) It was almost certainly miraculous.
(b) It was perfectly ordinary.
(c) It was not foretold by prophecy.
(d) It was not the same miracle as the birth of Jesus Christ.
5. Most female spiritual leaders in the Old Testament were which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II, Essay 14, "Revival or Decay?" Lewis warns against a brewing religion centered around what?
2. What does Lewis regard as being essential to achieving the "freeborn mind"?
3. What do most people believe about national repentance?
4. Lewis suggests that when viewed "behind the scenes", love may appear to be what?
5. Who was the father of St John the Baptist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lewis opposed to giving all men a "right to happiness"?
2. Why did Lewis believe that the Nazi emphasis on Nordic myth was absurd?
3. What kind of compulsions does Lewis argue against?
4. What theological reasons does Lewis give to reject the idea of women serving as priests?
5. Why does Lewis believe that an outside-in perspective is impossible to attain?
6. According to Lewis' writings in Part II, Essay 10, "Modern Translations of the Bible", how do translations of the bible change over time?
7. How does Lewis feel about the Anglican church allowing Catholic-like invocation of the saints?
8. What practical reasons does Lewis give to reject the idea of women serving as priests?
9. What is Bulverism?
10. According to Lewis' writings in Part II, Essay 1, "Dangers of National Repentance", what dangers does national repentance present?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)