|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis contends that Corineous intends to treat Christianity in what way?
(a) As an inferior religion.
(b) As the only valid faith.
(c) As a provable fact.
(d) As only a myth.
2. In addition to being good, Lewis states that Christianity must be defended for being which of the following?
3. How common is the belief in the conflict between religion and science?
(a) Few people believe in it.
(b) Many people believe in it.
(c) It exists mostly in the media.
(d) It is almost non-existent in the modern world.
4. Which of the following is one of the options that Joad believed rational persons must choose from?
(b) Moral relativism.
5. What type of doctrines does Lewis suggest that apologetics be used to attack?
(a) New doctrines.
(b) Useless doctrines.
(c) Outdated doctrines.
(d) False doctrines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake does Lewis claim that Pittenger made in critiquing his books?
2. How is Christianity transmitted?
3. Lewis suggests that arguments for or against God's existence are which of the following?
4. The philosopher that Lewis responds to in Part I, Essay 23, "Must Our Image of God Go?" uses a metaphor that compares Jesus to which of the following?
5. According to Lewis, what is the most important miraculous event in Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an "animal stage"?
2. Why does Lewis believe that pain is evidence of the existence of God?
3. What does Joad argue in his original 1941 article, "Evil and God"?
4. What two premises are necessary for belief in miracles, according to Lewis' argument in Part I, Essay 2, "Miracles"?
5. According to Lewis' writings in Part I, Essay 17, "Answers to Question on Christianity", what is problematic for Christians about healing the sick, and why is this action acceptable anyways?
6. Why does the answering of prayers not always necessitate supernatural intervention?
7. How are schoolboys taught Christianity in England?
8. What is the difference between religion and politics, according to Lewis?
9. What is the essential conflict between dogma and knowledge according to Lewis' argument in Part I, Essay 2, "Dogma and the Universe"?
10. According to Lewis' writings in Part I, Essay 19, "What Are We to Make of Jesus Christ", what possible contradiction makes it difficult to discount the miracles associated with the life of Jesus?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)