|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis hoped that his club would adopt what type of a political viewpoint?
2. What belief has had the biggest effect on the decrease in reports of miracles?
3. In Part I, Essay 1, "Evil and God", Lewis contends what about evil?
(a) It is unstoppable.
(b) It extends throughout human history.
(c) It is preventable.
(d) It has increased over the last few centuries.
4. The philosopher that Lewis responds to in Part I, Essay 23, "Must Our Image of God Go?" holds what position?
(d) Professor emeritus.
5. Joad argues that Lewis' point about animal stages does not apply to what type of animals?
(a) Colony dwelling animals.
(c) Higher animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake does Lewis claim that Pittenger made in critiquing his books?
2. The argument that human suffering proves that God does not exist is best described as which of the following?
3. One of the options that Joad believed rational persons were forced to choose from is most like what world religion?
4. The terms prayer books often use to describe personal feelings would best be described as which of the following?
5. Lewis asserts that what is necessary in order to know what is "good"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Lewis, what distinction does Christianity carry, compared to other religions?
2. How is Christianity transmitted, according to Lewis' writings in Part I, Essay 13, "On the Transmission of Christianity"?
3. Why does the answering of prayers not always necessitate supernatural intervention?
4. According to Lewis' argument in Part I, Essay 12, "Man or Rabbit?", what are the difficulties of using Christianity to become a better person ?
5. How did Lewis' Socratic Club operate?
6. How are schoolboys taught Christianity in England?
7. According to Lewis' writings in Part I, Essay 17, "Answers to Question on Christianity", what is problematic for Christians about healing the sick, and why is this action acceptable anyways?
8. What is the role of apologetics?
9. According to Lewis, how are laws of nature, causes, events, and the creator related?
10. What does Joad argue in his original 1941 article, "Evil and God"?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)