|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What single factor does Lewis regard as being most important in the growth of Christianity?
(a) Suppressing rival Christian sects.
(b) Public interest.
2. Which of the following does Lewis NOT see as a major adversary for Christian philosophy?
3. Lewis suggests that what viewpoint is necessary to accept the supremacy of reason?
4. In the response Lewis writes in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War", what does Lewis question about the theologians who originally wrote about the conditions for a just war?
(a) Their authority.
(b) Their command of history.
(c) Their educations.
(d) Their honesty.
5. How many conditions were laid on in the original essay to which Lewis responds in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War"?
6. What qualities does Lewis ascribe to the King James Version of the bible?
(a) Truth and insight.
(b) Brevity and concision.
(c) Beauty and solemnity.
(d) Wordiness and inaccuracy.
7. Which of the following does Lewis specifically reject as a reason to allow women to be priests?
(a) One of the apostles was said to be a woman.
(b) Women are essentially equal to men.
(c) Women served spiritual roles in the Old Testament.
(d) Men can be bad priests.
8. Lewis argues that favoring the indirect view is typical of what era?
(a) The renaissance.
(b) The enlightenment.
(c) The classical era.
(d) The modern world.
9. Lewis fears that doctrinal issues will be settled with changes in what?
(a) Church loyalties.
(d) Scriptural wording.
10. Lewis disagrees with what common response to crime?
(a) The death penalty.
(c) Hard labor.
11. What concept must be warred against according to Christianity?
(d) The ego.
12. What problem does Lewis identify in the English justice system with regard to victims?
(a) Victims are not allowed to be present at convictions.
(b) Victims are not allowed to directly testify.
(c) Victims are protected less than the criminals.
(d) Victims are given no status in English culture.
13. What is one reason Lewis gives in support of women serving as priests?
(a) They would attract a more liberal following.
(b) They tend to be compassionate.
(c) There is a shortage of priests.
(d) They are probably as capable as men.
14. Why does Lewis advocate reading older texts?
(a) There is a large body of commentary on such books.
(b) Modern literature is abjectly bad.
(c) To prevent a bias.
(d) In order to gain perspective.
15. What is Lewis' opinion of the tendency of Christmas shopping to stimulate the economy?
(a) He doesn't believe arbitrary consumption helps it.
(b) He denies that people spend more near Christmas.
(c) He believes it is not worth the other costs.
(d) He endorses it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does the writer in the letter Lewis quotes in Part IV, Letter 5, "A Village Experience" level against their local church?
2. Bulverism is essentially antithetical to what?
3. Lewis attributes most of the reduction in church attendance in England to what?
4. Lewis believed that in his time, what was happening to anti-Christian doctrines?
5. Overall, Lewis feels that vivisection should be treated in what way?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)