|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A Christian political party would lack which of the following?
(b) Theological authority.
(c) Poll numbers.
2. What is the attitude of Christianity towards self-love?
(a) It regards it as a minor sin.
(b) It regards it as a virtue.
(c) It seeks to destroy it.
(d) It emphasizes it up to a point.
3. Most female spiritual leaders in the Old Testament were which of the following?
4. The letter that Lewis passes on in Part IV, Letter 5, "A Village Experience" is from what kind of person?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) An elderly woman.
(c) A priest.
(d) A young man.
5. What does Lewis believe about the birth of St. John the Baptist?
(a) It was almost certainly miraculous.
(b) It was perfectly ordinary.
(c) It was not foretold by prophecy.
(d) It was not the same miracle as the birth of Jesus Christ.
6. Lewis argues against discounting an argument just because the speaker does what?
(a) Changes his opinion.
(b) Makes a fool of himself.
(c) Ignores his own advice.
(d) Expresses himself poorly.
7. What is one reason Lewis gives in support of women serving as priests?
(a) They tend to be compassionate.
(b) They are probably as capable as men.
(c) They would attract a more liberal following.
(d) There is a shortage of priests.
8. What is Lewis' opinion of the tendency of Christmas shopping to stimulate the economy?
(a) He believes it is not worth the other costs.
(b) He endorses it.
(c) He denies that people spend more near Christmas.
(d) He doesn't believe arbitrary consumption helps it.
9. Lewis argues that observing things from the "outside-in" perspective is which of the following?
(a) Akin to meditation.
(c) A gift of the spirit.
10. How relevant does Lewis believe the sex of a person to be in spiritual life?
(a) It is critical.
(b) It is only important in some respects.
(c) It is of only minor importance.
(d) It is irrelevant.
11. Lewis suggests that the Anglican church and what other denomination have a more commonalities than differences?
(a) The Lutheran Church.
(b) The Evangelical Church.
(c) The Church of Later Day Saints.
(d) The Methodist Church.
12. In Part II, Essay 11, "Priestesses in the Church?" what social event does Lewis compare the activity of the church to?
(a) A ball.
(b) A meeting.
(c) A parade.
(d) A rally.
13. What core concept in Christianity does Lewis believe to be unfamiliar to most Englishmen?
(d) Free will.
14. In Part II, Essay 16, "Cross-Examination", Lewis specifically denies that an experience of God can be brought on through what means?
(a) Will and writing.
(d) Religious ceremony.
15. In the title of the essay in Part II, Essay 12, "God in the Dock", the term "in the dock" refers to a condition in which what happens?
(a) A person is absolved of a crime.
(b) A person receives a sentence.
(c) A person is judged.
(d) A person passes judgement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the subjects that Lewis states that almost all political parties agree upon?
2. In Part II, Essay 14, "Revival or Decay?" Lewis warns against a brewing religion centered around what?
3. In the original essay to which Lewis responds in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War", what is the final condition?
4. The general condition of mankind according to Christianity is which of the following?
5. Lewis argues that the commercialism of Christmas is what?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)