|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lewis' opinion about most Christian writing?
(a) It is inaccurate.
(b) It is not persuasive enough.
(c) It is not aggressive enough.
(d) It is bad.
2. Lewis credits the work of what famous thinker with causing rational people to be concerned mainly with why things are true, rather than whether or not they are true?
3. Lewis believes that sexual permissiveness will eventually result an a society unfriendly to what group?
(b) The elderly.
(d) Married couples.
4. How does Lewis feel about a program of study that would be applicable for all Christians?
(a) He endorses it.
(b) He denies that it could be created.
(c) He cautions against it.
(d) He doesn't think it would be worthwhile for most.
5. In Part II, Essay 14, "Revival or Decay?" Lewis warns against a brewing religion centered around what?
(a) Science fiction.
(c) Folk magic.
6. Most female spiritual leaders in the Old Testament were which of the following?
7. Overall, Lewis feels that vivisection should be treated in what way?
(a) It should be criticized.
(b) It should be free from criticism.
(c) It should be continued.
(d) It should be outlawed.
8. What does Lewis regard as being essential to achieving the "freeborn mind"?
(a) Quality eduction.
(b) An official state religion.
(c) Spiritual harmony.
(d) Economic independence.
9. What does Lewis advise translators not to do in creating modern translations of the bible?
(a) Use the original Aramaic.
(b) Use idioms.
(c) Consult the Catholic church.
(d) Water it down.
10. Bulverism is essentially antithetical to what?
11. Lewis argues that observing things from the "outside-in" perspective is which of the following?
(a) A gift of the spirit.
(b) Akin to meditation.
12. Lewis advocates therapy for criminal offenders of what type?
(a) The clinically insane.
(c) Repeat offenders.
(d) Former victims.
13. In the original essay to which Lewis responds in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War", what is the final condition?
(a) The people must consent to the war.
(b) There must a a considerable probability of victory.
(c) The war must be carried out with no civilian losses.
(d) The war must be one of defense.
14. Lewis suggests that when viewed "behind the scenes", love may appear to be what?
15. What name does Lewis recommend for churches that believe in a high degree of supernatural intervention in the world?
(a) Reformed churches.
(b) Modernist church.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many conditions were laid on in the original essay to which Lewis responds in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War"?
2. The letter that Lewis passes on in Part IV, Letter 5, "A Village Experience" is from what kind of person?
3. How relevant does Lewis believe the sex of a person to be in spiritual life?
4. In Part IV, Letter 7, "The Church's Liturgy, Invocation, and Invocation of Saints", Lewis discusses the issue of the Church of England integrating some doctrines from what faith?
5. Which of the following best states Lewis' opinion on a Christian political party?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)