|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis believes that sexual permissiveness will eventually result an a society unfriendly to what group?
(a) The elderly.
(d) Married couples.
2. Lewis fears that doctrinal issues will be settled with changes in what?
(a) Scriptural wording.
(b) Church loyalties.
3. Lewis argues that observing things from the "outside-in" perspective is which of the following?
(c) Akin to meditation.
(d) A gift of the spirit.
4. The problems discussed in Part II, Essay 12, "God in the Dock" mainly stem from criticisms of Christianity from what quarter?
(b) Dissenting Christians.
5. What is one reason Lewis gives in support of women serving as priests?
(a) They would attract a more liberal following.
(b) They are probably as capable as men.
(c) There is a shortage of priests.
(d) They tend to be compassionate.
6. What is Lewis' opinion about most Christian writing?
(a) It is not aggressive enough.
(b) It is not persuasive enough.
(c) It is inaccurate.
(d) It is bad.
7. Lewis argues that the character of Christianity suggests what type of a role for God?
(a) A masculine one.
(b) A nurturing one.
(c) A gender-neutral one.
(d) A judgmental one.
8. How does Lewis regard scientific progress?
(a) It is nearly always bad.
(b) It is usually wrong.
(c) It is always good.
(d) It is neutral.
9. Lewis believed that in his time, what was happening to anti-Christian doctrines?
(a) They were being discredited.
(b) They were very strong.
(c) They were unpopular.
(d) They were on the rise.
10. What philosopher does Lewis quote in Part IV, Letter 12, "Capital Punishment and Death Penalty"?
11. In Part II, Essay 11, "Priestesses in the Church?" what social event does Lewis compare the activity of the church to?
(a) A ball.
(b) A rally.
(c) A parade.
(d) A meeting.
12. What does Lewis believe that the world must place first in order to best understand itself?
(b) Logical thought.
(c) The transcendent.
13. What causes previous translations of the bible to become worse?
(a) Changes over many editions.
(b) Changed social mores.
(c) The evolution of language.
(d) Evolving doctrine.
14. Which of the following is one of the difficulties in engaging the average Englishmen in a theological discussion?
(a) Insistence on logic over intuition.
(b) Linguistic differences.
(c) Secular thought.
(d) Educational differences.
15. Lewis recommends that Christians regard rulers in what way?
(a) Obeying them completely.
(b) Treating them as God's representatives on Earth.
(c) Understanding that they are not always good.
(d) Disobeying them if they are not Christians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the reasons Lewis gives for rejecting the concept of females serving as priests?
2. Lewis argues that observing things from the "inside" is which of the following?
3. Lewis' general attitude towards women who wish to serve as priests would best be described as which of the following?
4. What complaint does the writer in the letter Lewis quotes in Part IV, Letter 5, "A Village Experience" level against their local church?
5. Lewis notes that disagreements from Christian history appear small in what context?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)