|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the lectures presented in Part II, Essay 5, "Two Lectures" suggests that evolution is what?
(a) Continuous progress.
(b) Contrary to scripture.
(c) Marginally scientific.
(d) An established fact.
2. One theory about ethics and philosophy is that they grew out of what?
(a) Primate behaviors.
(b) Early taboos.
(c) The natural order.
(d) Religious dogma.
3. In the original essay to which Lewis responds in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War", what is the final condition?
(a) There must a a considerable probability of victory.
(b) The war must be carried out with no civilian losses.
(c) The war must be one of defense.
(d) The people must consent to the war.
4. A Christian political party would lack which of the following?
(c) Theological authority.
(d) Poll numbers.
5. Lewis argues that favoring the indirect view is typical of what era?
(a) The classical era.
(b) The modern world.
(c) The renaissance.
(d) The enlightenment.
6. Lewis suggests that when viewed "behind the scenes", love may appear to be what?
7. What does Lewis believe that the world must place first in order to best understand itself?
(c) Logical thought.
(d) The transcendent.
8. What is Lewis' stance on compulsory religious activity?
(a) He is totally neutral on the subject.
(b) He endorses it.
(c) He is firmly against it.
(d) He is quietly in favor of it.
9. What war do most of Lewis' countrymen believe their nation had a part in starting?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Cold War.
(d) The Falklands Island War.
10. In the title of the essay in Part II, Essay 12, "God in the Dock", the term "in the dock" refers to a condition in which what happens?
(a) A person is absolved of a crime.
(b) A person receives a sentence.
(c) A person is judged.
(d) A person passes judgement.
11. Lewis suggests that Christians attempting to communicate with the outside world should use which of the following in their speaking and writing styles?
12. Lewis believes that Humanitarianism can lead to what outcome?
(b) More first-time offenders.
13. Lewis states that language from what book needs the most explanation for an outsider to understand it?
(a) The New Testament.
(b) The King James Version of the bible.
(c) The Old Testament.
(d) The old prayer book.
14. What is the attitude of Christianity towards self-love?
(a) It emphasizes it up to a point.
(b) It regards it as a minor sin.
(c) It regards it as a virtue.
(d) It seeks to destroy it.
15. Lewis states that the opinion that only experts should read old literature is very common in what field?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one reason Lewis gives in support of women serving as priests?
2. In Part IV, Letter 4, "Mr. C.S. Lewis on Christianity", Lewis defends himself against an accusation that he is which of the following?
3. What kinds of sins does Lewis believe are the most important to repent of?
4. What philosopher does Lewis quote in Part IV, Letter 12, "Capital Punishment and Death Penalty"?
5. Which of the following best states Lewis' opinion on a Christian political party?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)