|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Overall, Lewis feels that vivisection should be treated in what way?
(a) It should be free from criticism.
(b) It should be criticized.
(c) It should be outlawed.
(d) It should be continued.
2. The general condition of mankind according to Christianity is which of the following?
3. What does Lewis believe about the birth of St. John the Baptist?
(a) It was not the same miracle as the birth of Jesus Christ.
(b) It was not foretold by prophecy.
(c) It was perfectly ordinary.
(d) It was almost certainly miraculous.
4. In Part II, Essay 14, "Revival or Decay?" Lewis warns against the danger of the increasing worship of what potentially sinful activity?
5. Which of the following does Lewis NOT see as a major adversary for Christian philosophy?
6. What is the attitude of Christianity towards self-love?
(a) It seeks to destroy it.
(b) It emphasizes it up to a point.
(c) It regards it as a minor sin.
(d) It regards it as a virtue.
7. What does Lewis see as being wrong about the arguments of those who wish to abolish the death penalty?
(a) They argue in bad faith.
(b) They don't recognize the importance of deterrence.
(c) They have no logical basis for their claims.
(d) They imply their opponents have unworthy motivations.
8. A Christian political party would lack which of the following?
(a) Poll numbers.
(d) Theological authority.
9. Lewis fears that doctrinal issues will be settled with changes in what?
(b) Church loyalties.
(c) Scriptural wording.
10. How does Lewis regard scientific progress?
(a) It is nearly always bad.
(b) It is always good.
(c) It is neutral.
(d) It is usually wrong.
11. In Part IV, Letter 7, "The Church's Liturgy, Invocation, and Invocation of Saints", Lewis discusses the issue of the Church of England integrating some doctrines from what faith?
(a) The Presbyterians.
(b) The Unitarians.
(c) The Eastern Orthodox Church.
(d) The Catholic Church.
12. In the title of the essay in Part II, Essay 12, "God in the Dock", the term "in the dock" refers to a condition in which what happens?
(a) A person is judged.
(b) A person passes judgement.
(c) A person receives a sentence.
(d) A person is absolved of a crime.
13. Lewis notes that disagreements from Christian history appear small in what context?
(a) From a scriptural perspective.
(b) From a historical perspective.
(c) From outside the church.
(d) From a layman's point of view.
14. What does Lewis believe that the world must place first in order to best understand itself?
(a) The transcendent.
(d) Logical thought.
15. Lewis' general attitude towards women who wish to serve as priests would best be described as which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the difficulties in engaging the average Englishmen in a theological discussion?
2. What is Lewis' stance on compulsory religious activity?
3. What is the primary importance of Christmas to Lewis?
4. In the analogy that Lewis uses in Part II, Essay 6, "Meditation in a Toolshed", how can humans observe the "sun" directly?
5. Lewis suggests that Christians attempting to communicate with the outside world should use which of the following in their speaking and writing styles?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)