|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis recommends that Christians regard rulers in what way?
(a) Obeying them completely.
(b) Understanding that they are not always good.
(c) Disobeying them if they are not Christians.
(d) Treating them as God's representatives on Earth.
2. Lewis believes that sexual permissiveness will eventually result an a society unfriendly to what group?
(b) The elderly.
(d) Married couples.
3. Lewis states that language from what book needs the most explanation for an outsider to understand it?
(a) The New Testament.
(b) The King James Version of the bible.
(c) The old prayer book.
(d) The Old Testament.
4. The philosopher J.J.C. Smart distinguishes between whether an institution of moral rules is a good and idea and what?
(a) What is just.
(b) Whether it can be implemented.
(c) What is ordained by faith.
(d) One's own moral beliefs.
5. What is one reason Lewis gives in support of women serving as priests?
(a) They would attract a more liberal following.
(b) They are probably as capable as men.
(c) There is a shortage of priests.
(d) They tend to be compassionate.
6. A Christian political party would lack which of the following?
(a) Theological authority.
(b) Poll numbers.
7. In the original essay to which Lewis responds in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War", what is the final condition?
(a) The people must consent to the war.
(b) The war must be one of defense.
(c) The war must be carried out with no civilian losses.
(d) There must a a considerable probability of victory.
8. The letter that Lewis passes on in Part IV, Letter 5, "A Village Experience" is from what kind of person?
(a) A priest.
(b) A young man.
(c) An elderly woman.
(d) A lawyer.
9. Lewis credits the work of what famous thinker with causing rational people to be concerned mainly with why things are true, rather than whether or not they are true?
10. In general, the efforts of figures from Nordic mythology would best be considered which of the following?
(c) Lost causes.
11. Which of the following does Lewis specifically reject as a reason to allow women to be priests?
(a) One of the apostles was said to be a woman.
(b) Women served spiritual roles in the Old Testament.
(c) Men can be bad priests.
(d) Women are essentially equal to men.
12. Lewis suggests that the Anglican church and what other denomination have a more commonalities than differences?
(a) The Evangelical Church.
(b) The Church of Later Day Saints.
(c) The Lutheran Church.
(d) The Methodist Church.
13. What philosopher does Lewis quote in Part IV, Letter 12, "Capital Punishment and Death Penalty"?
14. According to Lewis, why can the church not treat people at "neuters", as does the state?
(a) Only women can create new life.
(b) It deals directly with life and death.
(c) Men have a special role in the bible.
(d) It is a mystical body.
15. What does Lewis believe that the world must place first in order to best understand itself?
(c) The transcendent.
(d) Logical thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis suggests that Christians attempting to communicate with the outside world should use which of the following in their speaking and writing styles?
2. Lewis believes that Humanitarianism can lead to what outcome?
3. How does Lewis regard scientific progress?
4. Lewis states that the opinion that only experts should read old literature is very common in what field?
5. How does Lewis feel about a program of study that would be applicable for all Christians?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)