|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis suggests that when viewed "behind the scenes", love may appear to be what?
2. Lewis notes that disagreements from Christian history appear small in what context?
(a) From outside the church.
(b) From a historical perspective.
(c) From a layman's point of view.
(d) From a scriptural perspective.
3. Lewis disagrees with what common response to crime?
(b) Hard labor.
(c) The death penalty.
4. Lewis suggests that Christians attempting to communicate with the outside world should use which of the following in their speaking and writing styles?
5. What qualities does Lewis ascribe to the King James Version of the bible?
(a) Truth and insight.
(b) Brevity and concision.
(c) Wordiness and inaccuracy.
(d) Beauty and solemnity.
6. Lewis suggests that the Anglican church and what other denomination have a more commonalities than differences?
(a) The Evangelical Church.
(b) The Methodist Church.
(c) The Lutheran Church.
(d) The Church of Later Day Saints.
7. The problems discussed in Part II, Essay 12, "God in the Dock" mainly stem from criticisms of Christianity from what quarter?
(d) Dissenting Christians.
8. What is Lewis' opinion of church hymns?
(a) They are probably not spiritual.
(b) They keep church attendance high.
(c) They are very important.
(d) They drive away converts.
9. What does Lewis believe about the story of Jesus turning water into wine?
(a) It can be explained through natural processes.
(b) It is unimportant metaphorically.
(c) It was a historically documented miracle.
(d) It is probably fictional.
10. What name does Lewis recommend for churches that believe in a high degree of supernatural intervention in the world?
(b) Modernist church.
(c) Reformed churches.
11. Bulverism is essentially antithetical to what?
12. In Part IV, Letter 7, "The Church's Liturgy, Invocation, and Invocation of Saints", Lewis discusses the issue of the Church of England integrating some doctrines from what faith?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) The Presbyterians.
(c) The Eastern Orthodox Church.
(d) The Unitarians.
13. Who was the father of St John the Baptist?
(d) Simon of Galilee.
14. Lewis would most likely explain the creation of wine through natural processes as which of the following?
(a) A minor miracle.
(b) Incidental confirmation of biblical authenticity.
(c) A part of God's design.
(d) A metaphor.
15. What is Lewis' opinion of the tendency of Christmas shopping to stimulate the economy?
(a) He denies that people spend more near Christmas.
(b) He believes it is not worth the other costs.
(c) He endorses it.
(d) He doesn't believe arbitrary consumption helps it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How relevant does Lewis believe the sex of a person to be in spiritual life?
2. How many conditions were laid on in the original essay to which Lewis responds in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War"?
3. In Part II, Essay 14, "Revival or Decay?" Lewis warns against the danger of the increasing worship of what potentially sinful activity?
4. A Christian political party would lack which of the following?
5. What war do most of Lewis' countrymen believe their nation had a part in starting?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)