|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A Christian political party would lack which of the following?
(a) Poll numbers.
(c) Theological authority.
2. The philosopher J.J.C. Smart distinguishes between whether an institution of moral rules is a good and idea and what?
(a) Whether it can be implemented.
(b) What is ordained by faith.
(c) One's own moral beliefs.
(d) What is just.
3. In the title of the essay in Part II, Essay 12, "God in the Dock", the term "in the dock" refers to a condition in which what happens?
(a) A person passes judgement.
(b) A person receives a sentence.
(c) A person is absolved of a crime.
(d) A person is judged.
4. Lewis credits the work of what famous thinker with causing rational people to be concerned mainly with why things are true, rather than whether or not they are true?
5. Lewis suggests that the Anglican church and what other denomination have a more commonalities than differences?
(a) The Methodist Church.
(b) The Lutheran Church.
(c) The Church of Later Day Saints.
(d) The Evangelical Church.
6. What complaint does the writer in the letter Lewis quotes in Part IV, Letter 5, "A Village Experience" level against their local church?
(a) The new pastor does not perform his duties.
(b) The local pastor is an inveterate drunk.
(c) The church has neglected their village.
(d) The church has become abusive.
7. Which of the following is NOT one of the subjects that Lewis states that almost all political parties agree upon?
(a) A living wage.
(c) The balance of order and freedom.
8. Lewis advocates therapy for criminal offenders of what type?
(a) Former victims.
(c) The clinically insane.
(d) Repeat offenders.
9. Lewis attributes most of the reduction in church attendance in England to what?
(a) Secular government.
(c) The lack of laws for compulsory attendance.
(d) The lack of a central authority for the Church of England.
10. Most female spiritual leaders in the Old Testament were which of the following?
11. Which of the following best states Lewis' opinion on a Christian political party?
(a) It would drive away moderates.
(b) It would be a liability to the church.
(c) It would be unstable.
(d) It would be highly successful.
12. How relevant does Lewis believe the sex of a person to be in spiritual life?
(a) It is critical.
(b) It is only important in some respects.
(c) It is of only minor importance.
(d) It is irrelevant.
13. What is one reason Lewis gives in support of women serving as priests?
(a) They would attract a more liberal following.
(b) There is a shortage of priests.
(c) They are probably as capable as men.
(d) They tend to be compassionate.
14. What do most people believe about national repentance?
(a) It is a good idea.
(b) It is unnatural.
(c) It is unavoidable.
(d) It is abhorrent.
15. Why does Lewis advocate reading older texts?
(a) Modern literature is abjectly bad.
(b) There is a large body of commentary on such books.
(c) In order to gain perspective.
(d) To prevent a bias.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, Lewis feels that vivisection should be treated in what way?
2. What is the attitude of Christianity towards self-love?
3. Lewis suggests that when viewed "behind the scenes", love may appear to be what?
4. What is Lewis' opinion about most Christian writing?
5. What causes previous translations of the bible to become worse?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)