|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis' general attitude towards women who wish to serve as priests would best be described as which of the following?
2. In Part II, Essay 16, "Cross-Examination", Lewis specifically denies that an experience of God can be brought on through what means?
(b) Religious ceremony.
(d) Will and writing.
3. The general condition of mankind according to Christianity is which of the following?
4. How many conditions were laid on in the original essay to which Lewis responds in Part IV, Letter 1, "The Conditions for a Just War"?
5. The philosopher J.J.C. Smart distinguishes between whether an institution of moral rules is a good and idea and what?
(a) Whether it can be implemented.
(b) What is ordained by faith.
(c) What is just.
(d) One's own moral beliefs.
6. Bulverism is essentially antithetical to what?
7. Lewis states that language from what book needs the most explanation for an outsider to understand it?
(a) The King James Version of the bible.
(b) The New Testament.
(c) The old prayer book.
(d) The Old Testament.
8. What is the attitude of Christianity towards self-love?
(a) It seeks to destroy it.
(b) It emphasizes it up to a point.
(c) It regards it as a virtue.
(d) It regards it as a minor sin.
9. How does Lewis regard scientific progress?
(a) It is neutral.
(b) It is always good.
(c) It is nearly always bad.
(d) It is usually wrong.
10. What complaint does the writer in the letter Lewis quotes in Part IV, Letter 5, "A Village Experience" level against their local church?
(a) The local pastor is an inveterate drunk.
(b) The new pastor does not perform his duties.
(c) The church has neglected their village.
(d) The church has become abusive.
11. Lewis suggests that when viewed "behind the scenes", love may appear to be what?
12. Lewis suggests that Christians attempting to communicate with the outside world should use which of the following in their speaking and writing styles?
13. What does Lewis believe about the story of Jesus turning water into wine?
(a) It can be explained through natural processes.
(b) It was a historically documented miracle.
(c) It is probably fictional.
(d) It is unimportant metaphorically.
14. In Part II, Essay 14, "Revival or Decay?" Lewis warns against a brewing religion centered around what?
(a) Folk magic.
(b) Science fiction.
15. A Christian political party would lack which of the following?
(a) Theological authority.
(b) Poll numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the subjects that Lewis states that almost all political parties agree upon?
2. According to Lewis, why can the church not treat people at "neuters", as does the state?
3. One theory about ethics and philosophy is that they grew out of what?
4. What does Lewis advise translators not to do in creating modern translations of the bible?
5. Lewis attributes most of the reduction in church attendance in England to what?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)