|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Apologetics is best described as which of the following?
(a) The factual basis of the scriptures.
(b) A logical explanation of church history.
(c) A literal interpretation of the bible.
(d) A rational defense of the faith.
2. Lewis states that sound value theories demand what of a definition of evil?
(a) It is the opposite of good.
(b) It is lacking everything that goodness has.
(c) It is syntactically identical to good.
(d) It is a perversion of good.
3. How do secularism and paganism compare to Christianity as belief systems, according to Lewis?
(a) They are both inferior to Christianity.
(b) They are both totally invalidated by Christianity.
(c) They are both equally valid compared to Christianity.
(d) Paganism is inferior to Christianity, which is inferior to secularism.
4. Lewis believes that faith cannot be based solely on which of the following?
(c) A sense of the divine.
5. The argument that human suffering proves that God does not exist is best described as which of the following?
(a) A strawman argument.
(b) Prima facie.
(c) Begging the question.
(d) Syntactically unsound.
6. What did the woman see in Part I, Essay 2, "Miracles"?
(a) An angel.
(b) A halo.
(d) A ghost.
7. Why should the Gospels not be considered legend?
(a) They are not artistic enough.
(b) Their authenticity has been proved beyond a doubt.
(c) They are historical documents.
(d) They are too short.
8. What element of modern science does Lewis contend to be most problematic for Christianity?
(a) Quantum mechanics.
(d) Classical mechanics.
9. What type of doctrines does Lewis suggest that apologetics be used to attack?
(a) Outdated doctrines.
(b) False doctrines.
(c) New doctrines.
(d) Useless doctrines.
10. Which of the following religions does Lewis suggest cannot be believed without the occurrence of miraculous events?
11. What does Lewis state is left over from the Christian creeds after modern science is accounted for?
(a) Psalms, stories, and proverbs.
(c) Many supernatural events.
(d) Historical events only.
12. Lewis admits that his earlier writing about the pain of animals was which of the following?
13. Lewis contends that Christianity relates to leading a good life in what way?
(a) It is unrelated to leading a good life.
(b) It helps people lead good lives.
(c) All Christians lead good lives because of their faith.
(d) It is the only way to lead a good life.
14. What was Lewis' intent in his original writings about the pain of animals?
(a) To provide a simple framework for discussion.
(b) To prove the superiority of mankind.
(c) To respond to a personal letter not meant for publication.
(d) To rebut arguments against God's existence.
15. The club that Lewis founded took its name from what philosopher?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lewis, how do many Westerners react to miraculous experiences?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the criticisms that Lewis lays against the common English person in Part I Essay 10, "Christian Apologetics"?
3. In Part I, Essay 1, "Evil and God", Lewis contends what about evil?
4. The philosopher that Lewis responds to in Part I, Essay 23, "Must Our Image of God Go?" uses a metaphor that compares Jesus to which of the following?
5. According to his speech in Part I, Essay 10, "Christian Apologetics", what terms does Lewis prefer to speak on?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)