|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Booker think he felt freest of Adam’s death?
2. What turned Booker’s life around, after he leaves his family?
3. How does Booker describe the atmosphere in his family’s house after Adam’s funeral?
4. How does Queen explain the effect Adam’s death had on Booker’s life?
5. When does Queen say that she learned it wasn’t enough just to be pretty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the town of Whiskey, CA?
2. What alarming discovery does Bride make in the restroom on her way to Whiskey, CA?
3. What does Brooklyn feel about Bride’s disappearance to deal with her past?
4. What books does Booker read while Bride is at work?
5. What advice does Queen give Booker after Adam’s funeral?
6. What happens when Bride and Booker go to Queen’s house after their reconciliation?
7. What do Bride and Booker do when Bride wakes up?
8. How does Booker’s life get turned around from despair back toward hope?
9. How does the narrator describe Bride and Booker’s efforts to take care of Queen?
10. How do Steven and Evelyn describe finding Rain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate God Help the Child as a book about race and prejudices surrounding skin color. What are its strengths and weaknesses as a book about this theme? Does the book advance an agenda? Does it not advance an agenda enough?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of God Help the Child—did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
Research the national statistics regarding child abuse or racist violence in America. How accurately does Toni Morrison represent this issue and the related issues? What are the advantages and disadvantages of addressing these issues in fiction?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)