|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of books did Sylvia Huxley’s family read?
(a) All kinds of books.
(b) Only American literature.
(c) Only the Bible.
(d) Only the classics.
2. What does Sylvia Huxley say she and her cell-mate Julie posted on the walls of their cell?
(a) Maps of the world.
(b) Photos of distant islands.
(c) Photos of glamor girls.
(d) Photos of children.
3. When does Bride say that her ‘melting away’ starts?
(a) When Booker leaves her.
(b) When she leaves her mother’s house.
(c) When she meets Booker.
(d) When You, Girl launches.
4. What is the weather like, the day after Booker leaves?
(d) Severe storms.
5. How does Bride characterize her conversations with most of her boyfriends?
(a) Intimate and flirtatious.
(b) Sarcastic and joking.
(c) Serious and intellectual.
(d) Witty banter.
6. What did Sweetness nearly do to Lula Ann?
(a) Drown her in the river.
(b) Leave her on the church steps.
(c) Give her up for adoption.
(d) Stifle her with a blanket.
7. Why does Sweetness rejoice in Bride’s accomplishment, in accusing Sylvia Huxley of abuse?
(a) Because she kept a corrupt woman from get away with her behavior.
(b) Because it soothed her memories of her own abuse.
(c) Because a little black girl took down a white woman.
(d) Because it helped Bride live with what she had seen.
8. How does Sylvia Huxley describe life at Decagon?
9. Where do Sylvia Huxley and Julie work at the prison?
(a) The cafeteria.
(b) The physical plant.
(c) The sewing shop.
(d) The grounds keeping crew.
10. Where did Bride start her working career?
(a) In the delivery truck.
(b) In the business office.
(c) On the sales floor.
(d) In the stock room.
11. What does Bride compare Sylvia Huxley to?
(a) A hurricane.
(b) A runaway train.
(c) A bucking bronco.
(d) A raging alligator.
12. How old is Bride?
13. What does Sweetness say her skin color is?
(a) High yellow.
(c) Moderately dark.
(d) Blue-black dark.
14. What is the name of the literary device Toni Morrison is employing when Bride says that “Lula Ann Bridewell…was never a woman”?
15. What does Bride say Booker was using her for?
(a) Legal bills and protection.
(b) Shelter and understanding.
(c) Money and sex.
(d) Money and emotional support.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bride say she would do, to get her mother to touch her?
2. How does Bride describe her conversations with Booker?
3. How does Bride describe what she felt Booker when he dumped her?
4. Why does Sweetness’ husband leave her?
5. What describes Bride’s state of mind while she is recovering?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)