1. What does Sweetness say her skin color is?
(a) High yellow.
(b) Blue-black dark.
(c) Moderately dark.
2. What color is Lula Ann’s skin?
(a) Blue-black dark.
(b) Moderately dark.
(d) High yellow.
3. How does Sweetness feel about her daughter’s skin color?
(a) She is enamored.
(b) It makes her fiercely protective.
(c) She is sympathetic.
(d) She is appalled.
4. What percent of Americans does Sweetness think have African blood
5. What is a quadroon?
(a) Someone with four African grandparents.
(b) Someone with two African grandparents.
(c) Someone with three African grandparents.
(d) Someone with one African grandparent.
6. How does Sweetness say she intends to hold onto her dignity?
(a) Through distinguishing actions.
(b) By living in the right neighborhood.
(c) By trying to pass for white.
(d) By associating with the best people.
7. What did Sweetness nearly do to Lula Ann?
(a) Give her up for adoption.
(b) Stifle her with a blanket.
(c) Drown her in the river.
(d) Leave her on the church steps.
This section contains 4,795 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)