The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Morrison, Toni. God Help the Child. Vintage, 2016. Trade paperback.
Chapter 1 — Sweetness
• Sweetness is a light-skinned black woman who gives birth to a blue-black-skinned baby whom she does not want to touch, on account of her darkness.
• Sweetness’ husband, who is also light-skinned, sees the baby as evidence of an infidelity and he leaves her.
• Sweetness determines to be very strict in raising her daughter, to protect her from a horrible world that will hurt her because of her skin color.
Chapter 2 — Bride
• Bride’s boyfriend leaves her, after saying that she is not the woman he wants.
• Recounting the days leading up to her boyfriend’s departure, Bride describes her cosmetics business, “You, Girl,” and describes how she put together a care package with cosmetics and money.
• Bride takes the care package to...
This section contains 1,641 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)