|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Sisters' Superior?
2. At the very beginning of the story, what do the newly uncovered findings shed light on?
3. What is the purpose of Onn?
4. According to the found journals, what is Leto's overriding purpose?
5. Who is Iyo Kobat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leto use all female armies?
2. What does the Fish Speakers' chant of "Siaynoq" signify?
3. What does Leto learn about Siona during his meeting with Nayla?
4. At the beginning of the story, three intruders steal the two cryptic volumes from the fortress. What do they hope the volumes reveal?
5. What does Guild data suggest about Siona?
6. What is the Bene Gesserit?
7. During their first meeting in the darkened crypt, why does Leto use Muad'Dib's voice to address the new Idaho?
8. Why is melange the most valuable substance known to humankind?
9. Noree is the new Ixian Ambassador. During her first meeting with Leto, what does Leto realize about Noree?
10. Who is Iyo Kobat and why was he banished from Arrakis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moneo often watches Leto for signs that signal the "approach of the Worm."
a. What signs is Moneo watching for?
b. What actions or theories does Leto hold that particularly worry Moneo because they signal the Worm is near?
c. Why is Moneo afraid the Worm and its emergence?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the writings early in the story and the author's historical references throughout the novel, compare and contrast the world in which the story takes place with the world as it was in the Dune days before Leto's metamorphosis.
Essay Topic 3
Leto admits while testing Siona that she strengthens him by opposing him and letting him sharpen his claws, so to speak, on her. Give three examples throughout the story of how this relationship is characterized by the above statement. Do you agree with Leto's statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)