|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Sisters is the true leader of the Sister's order?
2. Where do Chenoeh and Tawsuoko travel in order to investigate the deaths of the librarians?
3. Who is Othwi Yake?
4. Leto explains to Idaho that the Tleilaxu hold something of great value hostage, which is why the Tleilaxu feel immune. What do they hold hostage?
5. What does the real Idaho do in order to set himself apart from the newcomers on the river's bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being informed by Idaho that there have been attacks on the guards and spotty violence in the City and in the Forbidden Forest, Leto orders human wolves introduced into the forest. Why?
2. Why is Noree dissatisfied with the formal analysis of Leto's motives for accepting his transformation in exchange for longevity?
3. Why does Leto tolerate the Ixians?
4. In her letter writing directly to Leto, what does Nayla beg from Leto?
5. In order to increase their chances of success during the attack of Leto's procession near the Idaho River, what do the Face Dancers do?
6. What does the Fish Speakers' chant of "Siaynoq" signify?
7. Leto pictures Noree as an idealized nun. Why?
8. Why is Idaho different from most other gholas?
9. Why does Leto use all female armies?
10. During their first meeting in the darkened crypt, why does Leto use Muad'Dib's voice to address the new Idaho?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Leto's first interview with the new Idaho, he uses different voices as he talks to the new ghola. What voices does Leto use and why? What is the effect of the different voices on the new Idaho?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics and roles of Idahos and Atreides in the story. What historical role has each group served? What is each group's overall purpose? How does Leto use each group to further his own purposes? Support your answers with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Leto holds many different and sometimes controversial ideas. Describe Leto's reasoning and the actions he takes because of his beliefs on the following statements:
a. Male armies are dangerous.
b. Ixians are the criminals of science.
c. Death is any creature's most profound experience.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)