|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Leto's predictions of the future, who will follow once the deadly sandworms reign again?
2. What does Leto predict about Chenoeh's future?
3. What group is the major source of information on Arrakis?
4. What does Leto dislike creating?
5. What do the investigators conclude, as laid out in their report, concerning the breeding program?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about Atreides in relation to their relationship with the people?
2. What is the Bene Gesserit?
3. Leto pictures Noree as an idealized nun. Why?
4. What secret does Leto need Idaho to guard?
5. In her letter writing directly to Leto, what does Nayla beg from Leto?
6. What does Guild data suggest about Siona?
7. Describe what Leto looks like since undergoing the metamorphosis.
8. At the beginning of the story, three intruders steal the two cryptic volumes from the fortress. What do they hope the volumes reveal?
9. Why does Leto insist that Chenoeh record his words about tyranny precisely?
10. How has Leto kept peace for the 3,000 years of his reign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leto holds many different and sometimes controversial ideas. Describe Leto's reasoning and the actions he takes because of his beliefs on the following statements:
a. Male armies are dangerous.
b. Ixians are the criminals of science.
c. Death is any creature's most profound experience.
Essay Topic 2
Noree is introduced in the story as the new Ixian Ambassador.
a. Describe Noree in terms of her upbringing, her training, and her mission.
b. Compare and contrast Noree's mission from the Ixian point of view with her actual mission in Leto's court.
c. How does the evolving relationship between Leto and Noree affect Leto's relationship both positively and negatively with Ix?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics and roles of Idahos and Atreides in the story. What historical role has each group served? What is each group's overall purpose? How does Leto use each group to further his own purposes? Support your answers with examples from the story.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)