|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of literature had Stewart's attorney included in his last letter to him?
2. Who approaches Eliot as he boards the bus?
3. What does Fred read with interest in the section of the paper entitled "Here I Am?"
4. Who infuriates Eliot by calling him on the red phone designated for fire emergencies?
5. What does Kilgore Trout look like to Fred when he sees the man's photo on the back of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Caroline Rosewater and Amanita Buntline are two women from totally different parts of Pisquontuit. Why are Caroline and Amanita friends?
2. When Fred cannot finish the history of his family, which he has found atop the cupboard in the basement, he prepares to hang himself from a pipe in the basement. What happens to save Fred's life?
3. Fred and Caroline Rosewater live in Pisquontuit, Rhode Island. Describe the town and the people in it.
4. When Eliot wakes, where does he find himself? Describe the situation and the reason for his condition. How long has he been "asleep?"
5. What book does Eliot keep hidden in his office, and why does he have such strong feelings about it?
6. What does Noyes Finnerty tell Charley Warmergram has happened to Eliot?
7. In Chapter Nine, we meet Lila Buntline, Stewart and Caroline's daughter. What is Lila doing in the news store? How does she know Fred?
8. Eliot's father arrives at his office on the morning of his departure, and it is a complete surprise to Eliot. Eliot is happy to see his father, but the feelings are not mutual. Why has the Senator come to see his son? What happens during their visit?
9. McAllister announces that Senator Rosewater now has fifty-seven grandchildren. How did this come about?
10. Delbert Peach comes to Eliot's office and tells him he is certain Eliot will never return. Why does Mr. Peach think Eliot will not return, and how does Eliot respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Senator Rosewater's speech on the Golden Age of Rome. Why does he make the speech? What is his comparison between America at the time and the period before the Golden Age of Rome? Is this a reasonable comparison? How does he propose to repair American society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eliot's analogy of the Money River. How does his analogy compare to society? Can anyone get ahead if there is indeed a Money River?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Eliot's service in the Army. What two things happen to him while in the Army that ultimately change his life? Discuss the importance of both things.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)