|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall is Norman Musahri?
2. According to the Senator, what is the difference between pornography and art?
3. Where is Eliot Rosewater educated?
4. What does Eliot tell Sylvia will be his "work of art?"
5. What meeting does Eliot attend in Milford, Pennsylvania?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the back of Eliot's ledger is an unfinished novel he has written. In the novel, Eliot talks about Heaven. How does he describe Heaven and what happens there?
2. When Eliot finally enters psychoanalysis, what changes does he make? How long is he in treatment? Why does the psychoanalysis end?
3. Describe Eliot's office in Rosewater. What unique characteristics does the office have? What services does Eliot provide for the people of Rosewater?
4. Eliot lives in his office. Describe the conditions in which Eliot lives. What are his surrounding like? Does he have many visitors? Does he leave the office regularly? What are some of the unusual qualities of the office?
5. Even though Eliot continues to exhibit signs of alcoholism, emotional distress, and mental illness neither his wife Sylvia nor his father the Senator do anything to help him. What reasons do each of them have for not acting to help Eliot?
6. While they are talking, Sylvia reveals things about Eliot that the Senator has not known. What is one of the things Sylvia tells him?
7. Mushari finds a sealed letter from Eliot Rosewater to be given to his heir upon Eliot's death. What does Mushari do with the letter? What does he learn about Eliot? What is his next step?
8. On the same day of calls from a suicidal man and Stelle Wakeby, Eliot receives a call from his father and does not recognize his father's voice. What are some of the things Senator Rosewater wants to talk to his son about, and how does the conversation end?
9. Where does Eliot end up after his roaming around America? What does he tell Sylvia he plans to do there, and how?
10. In Chapter Three, Eliot begins talking to people in front of a firehouse in Vashti, Texas. What does he identify as the main purpose of the Armed Forces in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Eliot calls Sylvia from Rosewater, Indiana, he tells her he will become an artist. Loving the people of Rosewater will be his art. What does Eliot mean by this? How can loving people be art?
Essay Topic 2
There are two scenes that are high points in the novel: Eliot's argument with his father and his solution to the lawsuit he is facing. Which would you consider the climax of the novel and why?
Essay Topic 3
Senator Rosewater has pushed through a law called the Rosewater Law. He considers this to be his legislative masterpiece. Discuss the Rosewater Law and how it is important to the story.
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)