|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eliot do with the Foundation's money?
2. What does Eliot write on the walls of public bathrooms?
3. Where is the local fire department located?
4. What is in the letter that is to be given to the next president of the Foundation from the current president?
5. Who is the author of Get With Child a Mandrake Root?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Eliot Rosewater? What do we learn about him in the first chapter of the novel?
2. On the same day of calls from a suicidal man and Stelle Wakeby, Eliot receives a call from his father and does not recognize his father's voice. What are some of the things Senator Rosewater wants to talk to his son about, and how does the conversation end?
3. Sylvia tells Eliot's father the story of how she and Eliot met. What is the story she tells?
4. While at the science fiction convention in Milford, what does Eliot encourage the writers to write about? How does he explain his idea? What does he do to prove his point?
5. Who is listening on the other end of the conversation between Eliot and Sylvia? What does the person learn from the conversation to aid in the case to have Eliot declared insane?
6. In Chapter 1, we meet Norman Musahri, a lawyer. What else do we learn about Mushari? For whom does he work?
7. Describe Eliot's office in Rosewater. What unique characteristics does the office have? What services does Eliot provide for the people of Rosewater?
8. What disease does Dr. Brown diagnose Sylvia with having? How does he explain this disease? Is it curable?
9. Where is Eliot Rosewater born and raised? Where does he attend school? What degree, and with what specialty, does Eliot obtain after WWII?
10. What does the law firm McAllister, Robjent, Reed, and McGee do for the Rosewater Foundation? What does Mushari learn while rifling through confidential files? What plan does he hatch based on his findings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eliot's service in the Army. What two things happen to him while in the Army that ultimately change his life? Discuss the importance of both things.
Essay Topic 2
One theme in literature is the relationship between good and evil and how it affects the characters in the novel. Discuss the powers of good and evil in this novel in both plot and character development.
Essay Topic 3
At lunch at The Weir, Amanita tells Caroline upon giving her a gift "people get what they deserve." Discuss this quote and how it applies to the main characters of the story.
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)