|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is listening on the other end of the telephone to Sylvia and Eliot's conversation?
(a) The FBI.
(b) Rosewater's attorney McAllister.
(c) Norman Mushari.
(d) Senator Rosewater.
2. What does Fred read with interest in the section of the paper entitled "Here I Am?"
(a) Automobile ads.
(b) Personal ads.
(c) Employment ads.
(d) Housing ads.
3. What does Eliot tell Sylvia he will buy for their meeting?
(a) A pair of new shoes.
(b) A new suit.
(c) A haircut.
(d) A new car.
4. While the Senator is talking with Eliot in his apartment, what occurs?
(a) The alarm clock goes off at noon and Eliot sounds the noon time siren at the fire house.
(b) Eliot asks his father what time it is.
(c) Eliot screams at hearing the news and sets off the siren at the fire house.
(d) Eliot storms out of the room and runs to the fire station to hide.
5. What sign hangs in the window of the local books and magazine store?
(a) Rhode Island Mothers to Save Children From AIDS.
(b) Rhode Island Mothers to Save Children From Drunk Drivers.
(c) Rhode Island Mothers to Save Children From Food Additives.
(d) Rhode Island Mothers to Save Children From Filth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Caroline and her friend Amanita dine for lunch on the waterfront?
2. Who is Sergeant Boyle?
3. How does Kilgore Trout explain Eliot's devotion to volunteer fire departments?
4. When Stewart was a young man, what did he tell his lawyer he wanted to do with his money?
5. How much is Fred Rosewater worth dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fred cannot finish the history of his family, which he has found atop the cupboard in the basement, he prepares to hang himself from a pipe in the basement. What happens to save Fred's life?
2. While he is at the news store counter having coffee and Danish with the carpenters and plumbers of the town, Fred tells a story that ends with someone saying to him "God bless you, Mr. Rosewater." Why does the person say this?
3. Who is Harry Pena, and what are his different jobs? How does he behave toward Fred? What information is revealed about Fred in their meeting?
4. In the end, Eliot outsmarts Mushari and others who think he is idealistic and insane. How does he do this?
5. Eliot's father arrives at his office on the morning of his departure, and it is a complete surprise to Eliot. Eliot is happy to see his father, but the feelings are not mutual. Why has the Senator come to see his son? What happens during their visit?
6. Delbert Peach comes to Eliot's office and tells him he is certain Eliot will never return. Why does Mr. Peach think Eliot will not return, and how does Eliot respond?
7. When Fred comes home, what happens that makes him think of suicide? What keeps him from killing himself?
8. What does Noyes Finnerty tell Charley Warmergram has happened to Eliot?
9. Stewart Buntline is a multi-millionaire who lives in Pisquontuit with his wife Amanita and daughter Lila. When he was younger, however, he had different plans. What were they, and what happened to them?
10. Norman Mushari is very concerned about the planned meeting between Sylvia and Eliot before their divorce. Why does he care about them seeing each other? What detail does Musahri's plan rest upon that could be altered by the meeting?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)