|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do men Fred insures believe is their only get-rich scheme?
(a) To insure their homes and set them on fire.
(b) To insure their wives and hope they die first.
(c) To insure their businesses then go bankrupt.
(d) To insure themselves and die young.
2. What has Eliot purchased for his trip to Indianapolis?
(a) A new suit, shirt, tie, socks, underpants, tooth brush, and Lavoris.
(b) A new suit, socks, shirt, and tie.
(c) A new suit, a briefcase, shoes, toothbrush, and Lavoris.
(d) A new suit, socks, shoes, toothbrush, and Listerine.
3. What can Caroline and Amanita look at through opera glasses while dining?
(a) Small animals walking the piers.
(b) Stewart Buntline sleeping on his yacht.
(c) Lila Buntwater cleaning her boat.
(d) Harry Pena and his sons and their fishing traps.
4. What does Caroline Rosewater ask her husband for when while Fred and Harry Pena are talking?
(a) Money for a new winter coat.
(b) Money to pay the bills.
(c) Money for her expensive lunch with her friend.
(d) Money to go to the mall and shop.
5. What is one of Eliot's favorite Kilgore Trout books dealing with ingratitude?
(a) The First Design of Helpfulness.
(b) The First District Court of Thankyou.
(c) The First Trial of the Ungrateful.
(d) The First District Court of Ingratitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Fred Rosewater have coffee and Danish each morning?
2. Who is Charley Warmergram?
3. What does Fred do with his father's written bequest?
4. What reading material does Eliot choose for his bus trip to Indianapolis?
5. What solution does Eliot's father present for Eliot's current problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fred cannot finish the history of his family, which he has found atop the cupboard in the basement, he prepares to hang himself from a pipe in the basement. What happens to save Fred's life?
2. Stewart Buntline is a multi-millionaire who lives in Pisquontuit with his wife Amanita and daughter Lila. When he was younger, however, he had different plans. What were they, and what happened to them?
3. Discuss the interchange between Carolyn and Fred Rosewater at the news store. What do we learn about both characters in the short scene at the newsstand?
4. Delbert Peach comes to Eliot's office and tells him he is certain Eliot will never return. Why does Mr. Peach think Eliot will not return, and how does Eliot respond?
5. When Eliot wakes, where does he find himself? Describe the situation and the reason for his condition. How long has he been "asleep?"
6. McAllister announces that Senator Rosewater now has fifty-seven grandchildren. How did this come about?
7. Describe Caroline Rosewater's luncheon experience at the Weir. How is she treated? How does she feel?
8. Amid one person after another coming up to him and saying goodbye and good luck, all people he seems not to know, Eliot goes to the magazine rack and chooses something to read on his trip to Indianapolis. What does he choose, and what is it about?
9. How do the Buntlines have a servant, Selena, living in their home? How does Selena feel about living with the Buntlines?
10. Eliot's father arrives at his office on the morning of his departure, and it is a complete surprise to Eliot. Eliot is happy to see his father, but the feelings are not mutual. Why has the Senator come to see his son? What happens during their visit?
This section contains 1,472 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)