|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stewart Buntline make his money?
(a) He inherited eighteen million dollars in tobacco money.
(b) He inherited twenty million dollars in pharmacutical holdings.
(c) He inherited ten million dollars of IBM stock.
(d) He inherited forty million dollars in tobacco money.
2. What did Eliot see on the copy of The American Investigator he found in his pocket?
(a) "Best Looking Man Alive? (See Inside).
(b) "Sanest Man In America? (See Inside).
(c) "Is This Man Crazy? (See Inside)
(d) "Insane or Sane? (See Inside).
3. What did Fred's father write and leave to him before dying?
(a) A suicide letter.
(b) A family history.
(c) A will.
(d) A note of apology to the family.
4. What do Harry and his sons trap in their fishing nets while Amanita and Caroline have lunch?
5. Why did Caroline marry Fred?
(a) If he sold his boat, he would be rich.
(b) If he changed careers, he could be a millionaire.
(c) If he sold insurance, he would be rich someday.
(d) If he lived in Pisquontuit and went to Harvard, he must be rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Fred is preparing to hang himself in the basement, who arrives to speak with him?
2. To whom is Selena writing a letter while Fred is asleep on his boat?
3. How does Fred Rosewater's father die?
4. What does Delbert tell Eliot he is thinking about Eliot's trip to Indianapolis?
5. What happens between Eliot and his father in Eliot's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Fred and Caroline Rosewater live in Pisquontuit, Rhode Island. Describe the town and the people in it.
2. How has Eliot prepared for his trip to see Sylvia in Indianapolis? What is his night like before leaving for the trip?
3. Kilgore Trout puts his "spin" on Eliot's life in Rosewater. How does he explain Eliot's work for the people of Rosewater?
4. Discuss the interchange between Carolyn and Fred Rosewater at the news store. What do we learn about both characters in the short scene at the newsstand?
5. While he is at the news store counter having coffee and Danish with the carpenters and plumbers of the town, Fred tells a story that ends with someone saying to him "God bless you, Mr. Rosewater." Why does the person say this?
6. Describe Caroline Rosewater's luncheon experience at the Weir. How is she treated? How does she feel?
7. Caroline Rosewater and Amanita Buntline are two women from totally different parts of Pisquontuit. Why are Caroline and Amanita friends?
8. Who is Fred Rosewater? How is he related to the Rosewater family in Indiana? What does Fred do for a living?
9. Who is Harry Pena, and what are his different jobs? How does he behave toward Fred? What information is revealed about Fred in their meeting?
10. When Fred cannot finish the history of his family, which he has found atop the cupboard in the basement, he prepares to hang himself from a pipe in the basement. What happens to save Fred's life?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)