|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the poem's speaker and her unspecified companion sit in An End?
(a) By the shore.
(b) Under a tree.
(c) In their house.
(d) By the grave.
2. What do the neighbors call the poem's speaker in the 4th stanza of Cousin Kate?
(a) A dove.
(b) A harlot.
(c) Good and pure.
(d) An outcast thing.
3. How many of the women singing of love yet lives in the poem, A Triad?
4. What lyrical form of poem is Remember?
(a) A villanelle.
(b) A sonnet.
(c) An ode.
(d) A limerick.
5. In the final stanza of Echo, the speaker's life is described as being cold in what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker in the first poem entitled Song say ought to be placed on the grave of those who died in their youth?
2. With what does the great lord fill the poem's speaker's heart in the first stanza of Cousin Kate?
3. By what does the auditor of the poem regularly hold the speaker in Remember?
4. Whose wings does God guide in Spring?
5. In Goblin Market, what is the name of Laura's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a possible interpretation of the meaning of the last four lines of Dream Land?
2. What is to be inferred from the last clause of After Death, "and very sweet it is / To know he still is warm though I am cold"?
3. How is it that life comes out of the depths of winter according to Rossetti's Spring?
4. What might be the reason for John's unwarranted affection towards the poem's speaker in No Thank You, John?
5. Why does the poem's speaker find no apples in her apple tree in An Apple Gathering?
6. What is the tone of the speaker in the first stanza of A Better Resurrection?
7. For what reason does the poem's speaker feel the need to seek repentance in The Convent Threshold?
8. What is the meaning of the phrase, "The bright hues vanish and the odors fly, / The grass hath lasting worth" in Sweet Death?
9. What is the tone of the speaker towards death in the final poem entitled Song?
10. Why, of all the women in A Triad, do none achieve life?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)