|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What potentially causes the May flowers to wither in Winter: My Secret?
(a) Heavy snow.
(b) Too little sun.
(c) A lack of rain.
(d) A frost.
2. What does the speaker in the first poem entitled Song say ought to be placed on her own grave?
3. In At Home, of what was the speaker in comparison to the conversation of those yet living?
(a) The sea.
4. What phrase is uttered by the man who leans over the poem's speaker in After Death?
(a) "Alas, my love is gone."
(b) "Poor child, poor child."
(c) "Why will you not wake?"
(d) "Death has done us part."
5. By what does the auditor of the poem regularly hold the speaker in Remember?
(a) The hand.
(b) The tone of his voice.
(c) The depth of his eyes.
(d) The arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does the great lord fill the poem's speaker's heart in the first stanza of Cousin Kate?
2. What does the poem's speaker forbid her auditor in the case that he forgets her in Remember?
3. On the last day of what season does the deceased of An End die?
4. In At Home, what is the topic of conversation for those yet living?
5. In After Death, what in the vicinity of the poem's speaker are half drawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the "she" change from day to night in The World?
2. How does Lizzie save her sister in Goblin Market?
3. What sort of descriptions does the poem's speaker give to her mood and what characterizes these descriptions in A Birthday?
4. What is to be inferred from the last clause of After Death, "and very sweet it is / To know he still is warm though I am cold"?
5. What is ironic and somewhat paradoxical about the new-life brought on by Spring in the poem of the same name?
6. Why is Thomas loathe to have married Nell in Maude Clare?
7. For what does the inn in Up-Hill stand as a metaphor, and what indicates this?
8. To interpret beyond the literal meaning of the poem, why does the speaker not wish to reveal her secret in Winter: My Secret?
9. What is significant about the doves, lilies, and butterflies listed being in pairs in the second poem entitled Song?
10. Why, of all the women in A Triad, do none achieve life?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)