|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the neighbors call the poem's speaker in the 4th stanza of Cousin Kate?
(a) Good and pure.
(b) A dove.
(c) A harlot.
(d) An outcast thing.
2. In what is cousin Kate's love writ in the poem of the same name?
3. In Goblin Market, with what does Laura's sister attempt to purchase the goblin fruit?
(a) A silver penny.
(b) A song.
(c) Her golden locks.
(d) A golden vase.
4. How many of the women singing of love yet lives in the poem, A Triad?
5. Whose wings does God guide in Spring?
(a) The bright-eyed eagles'.
(b) The dipping martins'.
(c) The vibrant cardinals'.
(d) The cleft swallows'.
Short Answer Questions
1. Like what flower does one of the women singing of love bloom like in A Triad?
2. In the final stanza of Echo, the speaker's life is described as being cold in what?
3. In At Home, what is the topic of conversation for those yet living?
4. What might the poem's speaker have been instead of an "unclean thing" in Cousin Kate?
5. At what hour does the sun scorch up the world in Spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic and somewhat paradoxical about the new-life brought on by Spring in the poem of the same name?
2. Why would the flowers given to the youth change from roses to violets after death in the first poem entitled Song?
3. What does the "Spring" in the second stanza of The First Spring Day interpretatively signify?
4. For what does the inn in Up-Hill stand as a metaphor, and what indicates this?
5. Who is Ruth, as used in the last line of Sweet Death?
6. What is implied to be the meaning of the poem by the final stanza of An End?
7. For what reason does the poem's speaker feel the need to seek repentance in The Convent Threshold?
8. What is the attitude of the first speaker in A Bruised Reed Shall He Not Break to his auditor?
9. With what sort of temptations do the first two enemies beleaguer the second speaker in The Three Enemies?
10. What is "the one certainty," as proposed in the poem of the same name?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)