|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what is Maude Clare compared in the first stanza of Maude Clare?
(a) A badger.
(b) A dove.
(c) A village maid.
(d) A queen.
2. What might the poem's speaker have been instead of an "unclean thing" in Cousin Kate?
(a) A wife.
(b) A lover.
(c) A dove.
(d) A virgin.
3. In After Death, what in the vicinity of the poem's speaker are half drawn?
4. In the final stanza of A Summer Wish, where are the birds said to rejoice?
(a) In the stream.
(b) In the trees.
(c) In the sun.
(d) In the wind.
5. What does the poem's speaker do with the blossoms she picks from her apple tree in An Apple Gathering?
(a) Sews them into a dress.
(b) Scatters them on the ground.
(c) Wears them in her hair.
(d) Gives them to her lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in After Death who leans over the poem's speaker do after moving away from her?
2. How many women sing of love together in A Triad?
3. Where does the great lord first see cousin Kate in the poem of the same name?
4. In At Home, of what was the speaker in comparison to the conversation of those yet living?
5. Into what land does the poem's speaker say she will go in Remember?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "it" of May?
2. Why does the speaker attempt to cast off her expectations in A Pause of Thought?
3. What is meant by the line "Or in this world, or in the world to come" in the last stanza of The First Spring Day?
4. Why is the speaker unable to cast off her expectations in A Pause of Thought?
5. What is ironic and somewhat paradoxical about the new-life brought on by Spring in the poem of the same name?
6. What does the speaker in Remember exhort the auditor to do in the first eight lines?
7. What is the tone of the poem's speaker towards love in An End?
8. Who are the wayfarers who have gone before the poem's inquisitive speaker in Up-Hill?
9. What is implied to be the meaning of the poem by the final stanza of An End?
10. Why does the poem's speaker find no apples in her apple tree in An Apple Gathering?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)