|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the final stanza of A Summer Wish, where are the birds said to take their night rest?
(a) In their nests.
(b) In their freedom.
(c) In the trees.
(d) In the dew.
2. With what exclamation does the poem's speaker respond to her auditor's curiosity in the first stanza of Winter: My Secret?
3. Like what flower does one of the women singing of love bloom like in A Triad?
(a) A gardenia.
(b) A rose.
(c) A hyacinth.
(d) A tulip.
4. At what hour does the sun scorch up the world in Spring?
(a) The dawning hour.
(c) The setting hour.
(d) Two in the afternoon.
5. How many of the women singing of love yet lives in the poem, A Triad?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what are the souls of the dream in the second stanza of Echo "brimful"?
2. How many women sing of love together in A Triad?
3. What is nursed in its grave by Death in Spring?
4. What does the speaker in the first poem entitled Song say ought to be given to those in the flush of youth?
5. What do the neighbors call the poem's speaker in the 4th stanza of Cousin Kate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does The One Certainty indicate a pure negativity or is there some indication of hope in the message?
2. Why does Maude betray her sister in Sister Maude?
3. For what is the speaker of Echo in longing?
4. For what reason does the poem's speaker feel the need to seek repentance in The Convent Threshold?
5. What is a possible interpretation of the last line of the first stanza in the first poem entitled Song, "Grown old before my time"?
6. What is the tone of the speaker towards death in the final poem entitled Song?
7. With what sort of temptations do the first two enemies beleaguer the second speaker in The Three Enemies?
8. Why would the flowers given to the youth change from roses to violets after death in the first poem entitled Song?
9. With what sort of temptations does the Devil assail the second speaker in The Three Enemies?
10. How does the "she" change from day to night in The World?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)