|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the speaker lament the giving of the peace of all the days she has to live in the fourth stanza of A Pause of Thought?
(a) An empty man.
(b) An empty love.
(c) An empty name.
(d) An empty suit.
2. To what does the speaker compare her life in the second stanza of A Better Resurrection?
(a) A frozen thing.
(b) A tomb.
(c) A church.
(d) A stone.
3. The last line in Sweet Death asks "why / Prefer to glean with" which of the following biblical women?
4. Which of the following does the speaker say in the third stanza of A Pause of Thought?
(a) "This thing shall be no more."
(b) "This thing shall be forevermore."
(c) "This thing shall be again."
(d) "This thing shalln't be 'gain."
5. The speaker of the poem laments in the third stanza of Another Spring that all her past results in what word?
6. What is the first speaker in The Three Enemies doing to the second speaker in each stanza?
7. In the second stanza of The First Spring Day, the speaker says she wonders if this spring-tide will literally bring another what?
8. The fourth stanza of Sister Maude says that the speaker's father may rest where?
(a) Her heart.
9. What does the speaker of No Thank You, John offer to John in lieu of love?
10. Of what is the monster in The World devoid?
(a) Love and prayer.
(b) Truth and love.
(c) Beauty and sincerity.
(d) A heart.
11. Instead of that for which she would have to wait, the speaker says in the first stanza of Another Spring that she would at once have her chill-veined what?
(a) White violets.
12. How many Johns would the speaker of No Thank You, John rather say "no" to than say yes to her auditor?
(c) A thousand.
13. When did the speaker of No Thank You, John love John?
(b) Last year.
(c) Last month.
14. Which of the following did the passing of "it" NOT leave the speaker of May?
15. What word describes the feet of the "she" in The World?
Short Answer Questions
1. Between what are the poppies to be born in May?
2. What does the speaker command to sing in the third stanza of The First Spring Day?
3. Upon the skirts of whom does the figure in the speaker's dream tread in The Convent Threshold?
4. What does the speaker command to sing in the second stanza of The First Spring Day?
5. What is the first enemy in The Three Enemies?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)