|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does the speaker watch and wait in the second stanza of A Pause of Thought?
(b) A bottle of gin.
(c) Slothful youth.
(d) A steadfast will.
2. Which of the following did the passing of "it" NOT leave the speaker of May?
3. What makes the speaker's heart sick in truth in the first stanza of A Pause of Thought?
(a) Love demurred.
(b) Hope deferred.
(c) Pride injured.
(d) Beauty obscured.
4. How many Johns would the speaker of No Thank You, John rather say "no" to than say yes to her auditor?
(d) A thousand.
5. To what does the poem's speaker implore her lover in The Convent Threshold?
6. Who is at the resting place of the speaker in Up-Hill?
(a) Her enemies.
(b) No one.
(c) Other travelers.
(d) Her family.
7. In what do all things end in The One Certainty?
(a) The eternal pain of hell.
(b) The sorrowful wails of the unloved.
(c) The long dust of death.
(d) The blissful joy of paradise.
8. Of which of the following is man NOT compared to in his being "tossed to and fro" in The One Certainty?
9. For what does the poem's first (or only) speaker strive to win in A Bruised Reed Shall He Not Break?
(a) The race.
(b) The prize.
(c) His lover.
(d) His auditor.
10. How long will the journey on the road take in Up-Hill?
(a) Half a day.
(b) A lifetime.
(c) A year.
(d) All day.
11. What sort of poem is The World?
(a) A limerick.
(b) A villanelle.
(c) A sonnet.
(d) An epic.
12. Whose blood stands between the speaker and her lover in The Convent Threshold?
13. In the second stanza of The Three Enemies, of the third enemy, what is it said that the second speaker shall win?
14. What adjective is used to describe the chase in the final stanza of A Pause of Thought?
15. In the second stanza of The First Spring Day, the speaker says she wonders if this spring-tide will literally bring another what?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time is "she" presented as "exceeding fair" in The World?
2. What riches does the second speaker in The Three Enemies desire?
3. What does the object in the second stanza of A Pause of Thought do?
4. What can the bowl in the third stanza of A Better Resurrection literally not hold?
5. In the second stanza of Another Spring, the speaker says she would find music in which of the following?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)