|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of the birds have foregone their mates at the passing of "it" in May?
2. According to the preacher in The One Certainty, all things are what?
3. What does the speaker command to sing in the third stanza of The First Spring Day?
(a) The nightingale.
(c) The robin.
4. How do the grave flowers shed their leaves in Sweet Death?
(a) One by one.
(b) They have no leaves.
(c) All at once.
(d) In showers.
5. What adjective is used to describe today in the final stanza of Another Spring?
6. What color are the sheets upon which the speaker lays in the third-to-last stanza of The Convent Threshold?
7. What does the speaker implore Jesus to do for her in the first stanza of A Better Resurrection?
(a) Drink of her.
(b) Save her.
(c) Rise in her.
(d) Quicken her.
8. What adjective is used to describe the chase in the final stanza of A Pause of Thought?
9. How many speakers are there in A Bruised Reed Shall He Not Break?
10. Where do the eyes of the speaker's lover look in The Convent Threshold?
(a) Nowhere fixed.
11. To what does the poem's speaker implore her lover in The Convent Threshold?
12. Instead of that for which she would have to wait, the speaker says in the first stanza of Another Spring that she would at once have her chill-veined what?
(a) White violets.
13. What does the speaker of No Thank You, John say the wanness of John's face shows?
(a) An hour-old ghost.
(b) A cold heart.
(c) An unacceptable pridefulness.
(d) A sincerity of feeling.
14. In the second stanza of The Three Enemies, of the third enemy, what is it said that the second speaker shall win?
15. The fourth stanza of Sister Maude says that the speaker's father may rest where?
(a) Her heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does sister Maude lurk to do in the first stanza of Sister Maude?
2. With what must Spring dawn again, in the third stanza of The First Spring Day?
3. How many beds will there be at the resting place in Up-Hill?
4. In the second stanza of Another Spring, the speaker says she would listen to the daylight _____________.
5. What does the poem's first (or only) speaker guide towards himself in A Bruised Reed Shall He Not Break?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)