|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the present given to the poem's lordly subject by Maude Clare in the poem of the same name?
(a) A marriage bed.
(b) Half of a golden chain.
(c) A fickle heart.
(d) A cluster of lilies.
2. What is placed at the foot of the deceased in the first stanza of An End?
(a) A tear.
(b) A stone.
(c) A rose.
(d) A poem.
3. What does the speaker in the first poem entitled Song say ought to be placed on the grave of those who died in their prime?
4. What emotion does the man in After Death feel for the poem's speaker in the latter's posthumous condition?
5. In At Home, what is the topic of conversation for those yet living?
(b) The mountains.
6. At what hour does the sun scorch up the world in Spring?
(a) Two in the afternoon.
(b) The setting hour.
(d) The dawning hour.
7. How many of the women singing of love yet lives in the poem, A Triad?
8. Whose wings does God guide in Spring?
(a) The cleft swallows'.
(b) The bright-eyed eagles'.
(c) The vibrant cardinals'.
(d) The dipping martins'.
9. How many eyes ought the peacocks have in A Birthday?
(b) One hundred.
(c) Two thousand.
10. What does the poem's speaker have that cousin Kate does not in the poem of the same name?
(a) A son.
(d) A coronet.
11. With what does the great lord fill the poem's speaker's heart in the first stanza of Cousin Kate?
12. What does the speaker in the first poem entitled Song say ought to be placed on the grave of those who died in their youth?
13. For what reason is Nell in Maude Clare pale?
(c) Inward strife.
14. What is vair as used in A Birthday?
(a) A kind of silk.
(b) A kind of tapestry.
(c) A kind of perfume.
(d) A kind of fur.
15. What is the last word of Spring?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does March's "peck of dust" correspond in the third stanza of Winter: My Secret?
2. Into what land does the poem's speaker say she will go in Remember?
3. In the final stanza of Echo, the speaker's life is described as being cold in what?
4. Where does the great lord first see cousin Kate in the poem of the same name?
5. On the last day of what season does the deceased of An End die?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)