|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what is Maude Clare compared in the first stanza of Maude Clare?
(a) A village maid.
(b) A queen.
(c) A badger.
(d) A dove.
2. Upon what does the poem's speaker's head rest in After Death?
(b) The bosom of her lover.
(c) A tree's root.
(d) A mossy rock.
3. When was the deceased of An End born?
4. In the first line of Echo, the speaker demands that her auditor come to her in the silence of the what?
5. What adjective is used to describe the door that, "opening, letting in, lets out no more" in the second stanza of Echo?
6. What is the last word of Spring?
7. Where do the poem's speaker and her unspecified companion sit in An End?
(a) By the shore.
(b) By the grave.
(c) In their house.
(d) Under a tree.
8. Who accompanies Gertrude and helps her with her large load of apples in An Apple Gathering?
9. In what is cousin Kate's love writ in the poem of the same name?
10. Whose wings does God guide in Spring?
(a) The dipping martins'.
(b) The vibrant cardinals'.
(c) The bright-eyed eagles'.
(d) The cleft swallows'.
11. In the final stanza of A Summer Wish, where are the birds said to take their night rest?
(a) In their freedom.
(b) In the trees.
(c) In their nests.
(d) In the dew.
12. With what exclamation does the poem's speaker respond to her auditor's curiosity in the first stanza of Winter: My Secret?
13. What lyrical form of poem is Remember?
(a) A villanelle.
(b) An ode.
(c) A sonnet.
(d) A limerick.
14. In Goblin Market, what location of significance will not grow grass?
(a) The market.
(b) Lizzie's yard.
(c) Jeanie's grave.
(d) The goblin glen.
15. What is nursed in its grave by Death in Spring?
(a) The dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the second stanza of Echo, the speaker says that the dream's wakening should have been in what location?
2. Into what land does the poem's speaker say she will go in Remember?
3. What is placed at the foot of the deceased in the first stanza of An End?
4. What does the speaker in the first poem entitled Song say ought to be placed on the grave of those who died in their prime?
5. To which of the following does the poem's speaker insist the bird should sing in A Summer Wish?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)