|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christine feel about Gene at this point?
2. Who agrees to let Verger stay at his place?
3. Paul writes in a letter to Liza that he thinks of them as ___________________.
4. Why did May never kiss Verger?
5. Paul recognizes the man in #159 as the same guy _________________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stofsky spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
Restlessness takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Holmes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)