|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to be Paul's lover?
2. How does Hart make Dinah bleed?
3. How does the person in #175 die in the subway?
4. What is the topic of discussion when Gene and Paul meet?
5. Who is Winnie's boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does Hart's dalliance with Margo have on Dinah?
2. How does Agatson's death demonstrate the futility of the lives of all the characters?
3. Instead of their immature treatment of Kathryn, what is really important to Paul and Pasternak?
4. What do Paul and Kathryn realize at the end of the story?
5. How do Winnie and Little Rock disrupt the dynamic of the group?
6. How does Hart's past behavior foreshadow trouble for the group?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing in Agatson's invitation to his "last birthday" party?
8. Why doesn't Paul mail the letters he writes to Liza?
9. What is it about Hart that makes him become the group's leader?
10. Why is Paul unaware of his true feelings about Kathryn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of David Stofsky. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Gene Pasternak. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)