|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kathryn react to the rejection of Paul's manuscript?
2. What term does Paul explain to the woman in #136?
3. Who agrees to let Verger stay at his place?
4. What drug does Ben offer to Hart in Chapter 7?
5. Kathryn talks to Dinah about ______________________ Hart is.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hart's past behavior foreshadow trouble for the group?
2. How do Paul and Pasternak feel about the tension between them regarding Pasternak's affair with Kathryn?
3. Why does the author position the grubby young man at the wharfside bar?
4. What is it about Hart that makes him become the group's leader?
5. What is the metaphor of both Hart and Pasternak wanting a road trip at this point in time?
6. What does Agatson's verbal attack on Verger mean and why does May even defend Agatson?
7. Why doesn't Paul mail the letters he writes to Liza?
8. How does Stofsky try to mend the group after the departure of Hart and Pasternak?
9. How do Winnie and Little Rock disrupt the dynamic of the group?
10. Why is Paul unaware of his true feelings about Kathryn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Holmes use the literary technique of local color in GO: A NOVEL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Manhattan establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Holmes use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Holmes' writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in GO: A NOVEL.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)