|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul feel after finishing his book?
2. How does Hart make Dinah bleed?
3. Why does Christine call Paul?
4. How does the person in #175 die in the subway?
5. What disease does Verger have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Agatson's party the worst one in the entire novel?
2. What is it about Hart that makes him become the group's leader?
3. What does Hart's misbehavior highlight regarding love and the need to protect relationships?
4. Why does Paul not even try to defend himself when Kathryn confronts him about his letters to Liza?
5. Why is the Go Hole not a place that Stofsky and some other characters do not feel comfortable going?
6. How does Hart's past behavior foreshadow trouble for the group?
7. How do Paul and Pasternak feel about the tension between them regarding Pasternak's affair with Kathryn?
8. What is the significance of Ancke's constantly tidying up at Stofsky's apartment?
9. How does Stofsky hope to help his friends with his spiritual awakening?
10. How do Winnie and Little Rock disrupt the dynamic of the group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through some flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
How does Holmes use the literary technique of local color in GO: A NOVEL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Manhattan establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)