|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did May never kiss Verger?
2. With whom has Kathryn had an intimate encounter?
3. Gene says that Paul is always _______________________.
4. Who of the following is NOT going to the West Coast?
5. What had a friend recently sent to Stofsky's post office box?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul feel the need to call Estelle?
2. What is it about Hart that makes him become the group's leader?
3. How does Hart's past behavior foreshadow trouble for the group?
4. What is Verger's current state of mind after May has left him?
5. After the exhaustion of Hart's wildness, what does Paul begin to think about regarding another way of finding meaning in his life?
6. What does Hart's misbehavior highlight regarding love and the need to protect relationships?
7. Why does Paul not even try to defend himself when Kathryn confronts him about his letters to Liza?
8. What do Paul and Kathryn realize at the end of the story?
9. What impact does Hart's dalliance with Margo have on Dinah?
10. How does Stofsky hope to help his friends with his spiritual awakening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Paul, Kathryn, Pasternak and Stofsky. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the search for meaning will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the search for meaning throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Holmes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)