|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has cut himself/herself off from the rest of the group?
2. Where do Gene and Paul meet in the early evening in Chapter 13?
3. What holiday takes place during Chapter 6?
4. What has Kathryn found in the apartment?
5. At the news office, Stofsky writes a verse about __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stofsky try to mend the group after the departure of Hart and Pasternak?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing in Agatson's invitation to his "last birthday" party?
3. How do Paul and Pasternak feel about the tension between them regarding Pasternak's affair with Kathryn?
4. Why doesn't Paul mail the letters he writes to Liza?
5. Why does Paul feel the need to call Estelle?
6. What is the significance of the radio that Kathryn rejects and Stofsky accepts?
7. Why are the other characters so fascinated by the arrival of Hart Kennedy?
8. What impact does Hart's dalliance with Margo have on Dinah?
9. What is it about Hart that makes him become the group's leader?
10. What is the metaphor of both Hart and Pasternak wanting a road trip at this point in time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Paul, Kathryn, Pasternak and Stofsky. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of David Stofsky. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Paul Hobbes. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)