|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could Hart not meet Margo at her apartment?
2. What drug does Ben offer to Hart in Chapter 7?
3. Gene says that Paul is always _______________________.
4. What have Winnie and her boyfriend brought to Stofsky's apartment?
5. What do Dinah and Ed steal at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul feel the need to call Estelle?
2. How do Winnie and Little Rock disrupt the dynamic of the group?
3. What do Paul and Kathryn realize at the end of the story?
4. How does Stofsky hope to help his friends with his spiritual awakening?
5. After the exhaustion of Hart's wildness, what does Paul begin to think about regarding another way of finding meaning in his life?
6. How do Paul and Pasternak feel about the tension between them regarding Pasternak's affair with Kathryn?
7. Why is the Go Hole not a place that Stofsky and some other characters do not feel comfortable going?
8. Instead of their immature treatment of Kathryn, what is really important to Paul and Pasternak?
9. What is the significance of the radio that Kathryn rejects and Stofsky accepts?
10. What does Hart's misbehavior highlight regarding love and the need to protect relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the search for meaning will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the search for meaning throughout the book.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)