|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men look for Albert Ancke?
2. How does the person in #175 die in the subway?
3. How does Christine feel about Gene at this point?
4. Paul writes in a letter to Liza that he thinks of them as ___________________.
5. What does Verger give to Ketcham to return to Stofsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul not even try to defend himself when Kathryn confronts him about his letters to Liza?
2. Why doesn't Paul mail the letters he writes to Liza?
3. Instead of their immature treatment of Kathryn, what is really important to Paul and Pasternak?
4. Who seems to be the only truly loving person in this group of friends?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing in Agatson's invitation to his "last birthday" party?
6. What do Paul and Kathryn realize at the end of the story?
7. How does Stofsky try to mend the group after the departure of Hart and Pasternak?
8. What is the significance of the radio that Kathryn rejects and Stofsky accepts?
9. How does Stofsky hope to help his friends with his spiritual awakening?
10. What is significant about the questions asked by the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 3
Holmes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)