|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men look for Albert Ancke?
2. Gene says that Paul is always _______________________.
3. Paul tells Gene that he _______________________ about Gene's affair with Kathryn.
4. Why does Kathryn tell Paul to get rid of the radio that Albert gave to Gene?
5. What does Verger give to Ketcham to return to Stofsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the metaphor of both Hart and Pasternak wanting a road trip at this point in time?
2. What impact does Hart's dalliance with Margo have on Dinah?
3. Why doesn't Paul mail the letters he writes to Liza?
4. Instead of their immature treatment of Kathryn, what is really important to Paul and Pasternak?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing in Agatson's invitation to his "last birthday" party?
6. What is it about Hart that makes him become the group's leader?
7. How does Hart's past behavior foreshadow trouble for the group?
8. What is Verger's current state of mind after May has left him?
9. Why does Paul not even try to defend himself when Kathryn confronts him about his letters to Liza?
10. What is significant about the questions asked by the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stofsky spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Kathryn Hobbes. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)