Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stofsky do when the people in #52 arrive?
2. How had Stofsky's father reacted when Stofsky told him he was a homosexual?
3. After Gene and Christine leave the bar, Paul and Kathryn discuss ________________________.
4. Paul tells Kathryn that it is _________________ for her to be attracted to someone else.
5. What is Bill's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stofsky try to mend the group after the departure of Hart and Pasternak?
2. What do Paul and Kathryn realize about their marriage and their life as they recover from the party the next day?
3. Why are Jack Waters' Existential thoughts not taken seriously?
4. What Biblical allusions can be drawn about Stofsky's selflessness and loving behavior?
5. How does Paul's lack of self-awareness drive the attachments he makes in his life?
6. What is the premise of GO?
7. What is the significance of the radio that Kathryn rejects and Stofsky accepts?
8. How are psychotherapy and writing compared and which seems to help the characters in the book?
9. How are Paul and Kathryn at odds regarding their different emotional needs?
10. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Holmes use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Paul, Kathryn, Pasternak and Stofsky. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Kathryn Hobbes. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)