|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul feels guilty when Kathryn comes home and begins to _________________.
2. What is the topic of an argument between Paul and Kathryn?
3. Who is trying to kick a morphine habit?
4. Who is Stofsky's therapist?
5. How long have Paul and Kathryn been married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Christine and why is she in contrast to the other characters?
2. Why are Jack Waters' Existential thoughts not taken seriously?
3. How does the author show that Kathryn is more mature than Paul?
4. What is the premise of GO?
5. How does the budding romance between Pasternak and Christine begin to mirror that of Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
6. Describe the scene where Stofsky goes to see Waters in his flat and is picked up by the asylum attendants.
7. What does the aimless behavior of the characters signify in the book?
8. Why are the characters unable to find any clarity or purpose to their lives?
9. Why are Paul and Kathryn at odds about his writing career and her job?
10. How does Paul's lack of self-awareness drive the attachments he makes in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through some flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Paul, Kathryn, Pasternak and Stofsky. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of David Stofsky. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)