|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stofsky begins to wonder if God could be __________________.
2. What is David's last name?
3. Stofsky reads some of his poetry which was inspired by _________________________.
4. Stofsky receives a letter from ___________________ from his Merchant Marine days.
5. Paul tells Kathryn that it is _________________ for her to be attracted to someone else.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 2 reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage and the strain that Paul's hopeful writing career places on it?
2. How does the frantic behavior of the characters undermine their relationships with each other?
3. What does the conversation regarding infidelity reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
4. What is an example of how the post-war search for meaning is taking on toll on people?
5. Why are the characters unable to find any clarity or purpose to their lives?
6. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
7. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
8. What is the significance of Paul Hobbes writing a love letter at the beginning of the novel?
9. Who is Christine and why is she in contrast to the other characters?
10. How are Paul and Kathryn at odds regarding their different emotional needs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Paul and Pasternak. What do they have in common? What are their primary differences? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does Holmes use the literary technique of local color in GO: A NOVEL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Manhattan establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)