|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. David says that Gene's monster is ________________.
2. Who is Bianca?
3. What is the topic of an argument between Paul and Kathryn?
4. While reading poetry, Stofsky wonders if he is having a wonderful experience or ___________________.
5. Waters raves that time is a/an __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of GO?
2. Describe the scene where Stofsky goes to see Waters in his flat and is picked up by the asylum attendants.
3. What is an example of how the post-war search for meaning is taking on toll on people?
4. How does Paul's lack of self-awareness drive the attachments he makes in his life?
5. How does the author show that Kathryn is more mature than Paul?
6. How does the frantic behavior of the characters undermine their relationships with each other?
7. Why are Paul and Kathryn at odds about his writing career and her job?
8. What does Paul's letter to someone named Liza signify for the plot?
9. Why is Pasternak standing in front of Christine's house when Stofsky and Hobbes try to find him in the bars?
10. Why do the characters at the party revel in the excitement of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Paul Hobbes. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Holmes' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)