|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the time period for GO?
2. Why does Kathryn especially hate her job?
3. Stofsky begins to wonder if God could be __________________.
4. Kathryn believes that Paul is more interested in ________________ than her.
5. Stofsky reads some of his poetry which was inspired by _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the other characters so fascinated by the arrival of Hart Kennedy?
2. How does the budding romance between Pasternak and Christine begin to mirror that of Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
3. How do Winnie and Little Rock disrupt the dynamic of the group?
4. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
5. What lessons does Kathryn learn regarding her father and his death?
6. What does the aimless behavior of the characters signify in the book?
7. What Biblical allusions can be drawn about Stofsky's selflessness and loving behavior?
8. How are Paul and Kathryn at odds regarding their different emotional needs?
9. What does Agatson's verbal attack on Verger mean and why does May even defend Agatson?
10. What is the metaphor of both Hart and Pasternak wanting a road trip at this point in time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Holmes' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Holmes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)