|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Both Paul and Gene have written __________________.
2. Who is the young mother who Paul and Kathryn meet at the party?
3. Kathryn is _________________ older than Paul.
4. How had Stofsky's father reacted when Stofsky told him he was a homosexual?
5. How long have Paul and Kathryn been married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Paul mail the letters he writes to Liza?
2. Why does the author position the grubby young man at the wharfside bar?
3. What is the significance of the radio that Kathryn rejects and Stofsky accepts?
4. What does Agatson's verbal attack on Verger mean and why does May even defend Agatson?
5. How do Winnie and Little Rock disrupt the dynamic of the group?
6. Why is Agatson's party the worst one in the entire novel?
7. How does Stofsky try to mend the group after the departure of Hart and Pasternak?
8. Why is Pasternak standing in front of Christine's house when Stofsky and Hobbes try to find him in the bars?
9. What lessons does Kathryn learn regarding her father and his death?
10. What is significant about the questions asked by the characters?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Stofsky spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
How does Holmes use the literary technique of local color in GO: A NOVEL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Manhattan establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)