|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Waters raves that time is a/an __________________.
2. Why had Christine called Paul earlier in the day?
3. What is Daniel's last name?
4. Kathryn believes that Paul is more interested in ________________ than her.
5. What does Paul give to Gene one night when they are at a bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the aimless behavior of the characters signify in the book?
2. What is the significance of Paul Hobbes writing a love letter at the beginning of the novel?
3. How does the author show that Kathryn is more mature than Paul?
4. How are Paul and Kathryn at odds regarding their different emotional needs?
5. Describe the scene where Stofsky goes to see Waters in his flat and is picked up by the asylum attendants.
6. Why are Jack Waters' Existential thoughts not taken seriously?
7. How does Paul's lack of self-awareness drive the attachments he makes in his life?
8. What does Chapter 2 reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage and the strain that Paul's hopeful writing career places on it?
9. How does the fight between the two men over a woman serve as a metaphor for what may lie ahead for Paul and Kathryn?
10. How does the frantic behavior of the characters undermine their relationships with each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Holmes use the literary technique of local color in GO: A NOVEL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Manhattan establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Kathryn Hobbes. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Gene Pasternak. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)