|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paul and Kathryn's favorite restaurant?
2. The reversal of traditional roles in a marriage is _________________ for Paul and Kathryn.
3. What is Bill's last name?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the people at Stofsky's party?
5. What does Stofsky do when the people in #52 arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
2. Who is Christine and why is she in contrast to the other characters?
3. How does Paul's lack of self-awareness drive the attachments he makes in his life?
4. What does Paul's letter to someone named Liza signify for the plot?
5. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
6. What does the aimless behavior of the characters signify in the book?
7. How does the fight between the two men over a woman serve as a metaphor for what may lie ahead for Paul and Kathryn?
8. Why is Pasternak standing in front of Christine's house when Stofsky and Hobbes try to find him in the bars?
9. What do Paul and Kathryn realize about their marriage and their life as they recover from the party the next day?
10. How does the frantic behavior of the characters undermine their relationships with each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Kathryn Hobbes. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Holmes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Paul and Pasternak. What do they have in common? What are their primary differences? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)