|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Each of the characters is searching for?
2. What is Paul and Kathryn's favorite restaurant?
3. What does Kathryn later tell Paul when she calls him from work?
4. What literary device does the author use when describing the sight of the big man beating up the little man over a woman outside a bar?
5. Waters raves that time is a/an __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What lessons does Kathryn learn regarding her father and his death?
2. How does the fight between the two men over a woman serve as a metaphor for what may lie ahead for Paul and Kathryn?
3. What is an example of how the post-war search for meaning is taking on toll on people?
4. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
5. What does the aimless behavior of the characters signify in the book?
6. Who is Christine and why is she in contrast to the other characters?
7. How are psychotherapy and writing compared and which seems to help the characters in the book?
8. What does Chapter 2 reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage and the strain that Paul's hopeful writing career places on it?
9. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
10. Describe the scene where Stofsky goes to see Waters in his flat and is picked up by the asylum attendants.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Holmes use the literary technique of local color in GO: A NOVEL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Manhattan establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Holmes uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Manhattan using only your recall of Holmes' descriptions. How do you visualize the city of Manhattan now that you have read Holmes' GO: A NOVEL?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Kathryn Hobbes. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)