|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul's letters to Liza are filled with ______________________.
(c) over-romanticized nonsense.
2. Which club employee does Hart hit on?
3. How does the person in #175 die in the subway?
(a) He fell down the steps of the subway station.
(b) He fell onto the tracks in front of an oncoming train.
(c) He tried to climb out a window while the train was moving.
(d) He was stabbed.
4. Why does Kathryn call Paul at Bianca's apartment?
(a) To tell him she is leaving him.
(b) To tell him to be careful because the weather is bad.
(c) To tell him the lights went out.
(d) To tell him to bring home milk and eggs.
5. How does Kathryn react to the rejection of Paul's manuscript?
(a) She has no reaction.
(b) She is thoughtful.
(c) She is enraged.
(d) She is encouraging.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug does Ben offer to Hart in Chapter 7?
2. Who is Stofsky's former literature professor?
3. What else does Paul try to explain to the woman in #136?
4. What does Stofsky do when he thinks the cops will be showing up at his apartment?
5. What disease does Verger have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does Hart's dalliance with Margo have on Dinah?
2. Why is Agatson's party the worst one in the entire novel?
3. What is Verger's current state of mind after May has left him?
4. How does Hart's past behavior foreshadow trouble for the group?
5. Why does Paul feel the need to call Estelle?
6. Why does the author position the grubby young man at the wharfside bar?
7. Instead of their immature treatment of Kathryn, what is really important to Paul and Pasternak?
8. What do Paul and Kathryn realize at the end of the story?
9. How does Agatson's death demonstrate the futility of the lives of all the characters?
10. Why is the Go Hole not a place that Stofsky and some other characters do not feel comfortable going?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)