|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul writes in a letter to Liza that he thinks of them as ___________________.
(a) doomed lovers.
(b) true lovers.
(c) star-crossed lovers.
(d) eternal lovers.
2. Stofsky's former professor asks if Stofsky believes in _____________________.
(a) higher education.
(b) freedom of speech.
(d) American society.
3. Paul recognizes the man in #159 as the same guy _________________________.
(a) who butted in front of him in the supermarket line.
(b) he pointed out to Estelle at the Go Hole.
(c) gave him his seat on the subway.
(d) who ran into him on the sidewalk.
4. Gene says that Paul is always _______________________.
(d) jeering at him.
5. Who does Paul call to go out for the evening?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Jack Waters NOT frequently talk about?
2. Why could Hart not meet Margo at her apartment?
3. Who agrees to let Verger stay at his place?
4. At the dismal bar, a man plays songs on a/an _________________.
5. Winnie's boyfriend is a ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author position the grubby young man at the wharfside bar?
2. Why does Paul feel the need to call Estelle?
3. How do Paul and Pasternak feel about the tension between them regarding Pasternak's affair with Kathryn?
4. Instead of their immature treatment of Kathryn, what is really important to Paul and Pasternak?
5. How does Hart's past behavior foreshadow trouble for the group?
6. What is significant about the questions asked by the characters?
7. What impact does Hart's dalliance with Margo have on Dinah?
8. What is it about Hart that makes him become the group's leader?
9. How do Winnie and Little Rock disrupt the dynamic of the group?
10. Who seems to be the only truly loving person in this group of friends?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)