|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Albert give Gene as collateral for a $10 loan?
(a) A radio.
(b) His manuscript.
(c) A jacket.
(d) Marble collection.
2. What does Verger give to Ketcham to return to Stofsky?
(a) A jacket.
(b) Car keys.
(d) A book.
3. What had a friend recently sent to Stofsky's post office box?
(a) Airline ticket.
(d) A book.
4. Which of the following does Jack Waters NOT frequently talk about?
5. Why does Kathryn tell Paul to get rid of the radio that Albert gave to Gene?
(a) Because it was probably stolen.
(b) Because it takes too many batteries.
(c) Because it is broken.
(d) Because she wants a new one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is killed in the subway?
2. People at Verger's party refer to marijuana as ______________.
3. Who is Winnie's boyfriend?
4. Where does Dinah go the day after her fight with Hart?
5. How much money does Hart ask to borrow from Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author position the grubby young man at the wharfside bar?
2. How do Paul and Pasternak feel about the tension between them regarding Pasternak's affair with Kathryn?
3. How does Stofsky try to mend the group after the departure of Hart and Pasternak?
4. After the exhaustion of Hart's wildness, what does Paul begin to think about regarding another way of finding meaning in his life?
5. How does Stofsky hope to help his friends with his spiritual awakening?
6. Why is the Go Hole not a place that Stofsky and some other characters do not feel comfortable going?
7. Why does Paul feel the need to call Estelle?
8. What is the significance of Ancke's constantly tidying up at Stofsky's apartment?
9. Why is Paul unaware of his true feelings about Kathryn?
10. What is the significance of the radio that Kathryn rejects and Stofsky accepts?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)