|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kathryn talks to Dinah about ______________________ Hart is.
(a) how intelligent.
(b) how handsome.
(c) how wild.
(d) how frugal.
2. Who is the father of Winnie's baby?
3. What have Winnie and her boyfriend brought to Stofsky's apartment?
(b) Used clothing.
(d) Stolen items.
4. Stofsky gets a job at ______________________.
(a) New York Presbyterian Hospital.
(b) the Associated Press.
(c) a coffee shop.
5. Why does Christine call Paul?
(a) She needs marital advice.
(b) She invited Paul and Kathryn to a party.
(c) She wanted to talk about Kathryn.
(d) Gene has ignored her for days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul feel when his friends drive away in the car headed to California?
2. How does Dinah feel about Hart's story about Margo?
3. Stofsky calls his letters from Ketcham and Verger ______________________.
4. What term does Paul explain to the woman in #136?
5. What had a friend recently sent to Stofsky's post office box?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Paul and Kathryn realize at the end of the story?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing in Agatson's invitation to his "last birthday" party?
3. What does Hart's misbehavior highlight regarding love and the need to protect relationships?
4. Why does Paul not even try to defend himself when Kathryn confronts him about his letters to Liza?
5. Why does the author position the grubby young man at the wharfside bar?
6. What is the significance of Ancke's constantly tidying up at Stofsky's apartment?
7. Why doesn't Paul mail the letters he writes to Liza?
8. Why is Agatson's party the worst one in the entire novel?
9. Why is the Go Hole not a place that Stofsky and some other characters do not feel comfortable going?
10. Why does Paul feel the need to call Estelle?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)