|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stofsky gets a job at ______________________.
(b) a coffee shop.
(c) New York Presbyterian Hospital.
(d) the Associated Press.
2. Why did May never kiss Verger?
(a) She was afraid she would get tuberculosis.
(b) She was too shy.
(c) She did not love him.
(d) She is a lesbian.
3. Which club employee does Hart hit on?
4. Kathryn talks to Dinah about ______________________ Hart is.
(a) how intelligent.
(b) how wild.
(c) how handsome.
(d) how frugal.
5. What does Agatson want Paul to help him celebrate?
(a) His new job.
(b) His last birthday.
(c) The publication of his book.
(d) His new apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease does Verger have?
2. What has Kathryn found in the apartment?
3. How does Kathryn react to the rejection of Paul's manuscript?
4. At the dismal bar, a man plays songs on a/an _________________.
5. Who is Stofsky's former literature professor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hart's misbehavior highlight regarding love and the need to protect relationships?
2. How does Agatson's death demonstrate the futility of the lives of all the characters?
3. What is Verger's current state of mind after May has left him?
4. How does Hart's past behavior foreshadow trouble for the group?
5. Why does Paul feel the need to call Estelle?
6. What is the metaphor of both Hart and Pasternak wanting a road trip at this point in time?
7. Why is Agatson's party the worst one in the entire novel?
8. After the exhaustion of Hart's wildness, what does Paul begin to think about regarding another way of finding meaning in his life?
9. Why are the other characters so fascinated by the arrival of Hart Kennedy?
10. What is the significance of Ancke's constantly tidying up at Stofsky's apartment?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)