|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Albert give Gene as collateral for a $10 loan?
(a) Marble collection.
(b) A jacket.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) A radio.
2. Paul recognizes the man in #159 as the same guy _________________________.
(a) who ran into him on the sidewalk.
(b) he pointed out to Estelle at the Go Hole.
(c) who butted in front of him in the supermarket line.
(d) gave him his seat on the subway.
3. Who is Stofsky's former literature professor?
4. Where do Gene and Paul meet in the early evening in Chapter 13?
(a) A cafeteria.
(b) A bar.
(c) A train station.
(d) Paul's apartment.
5. How does Kathryn react to the rejection of Paul's manuscript?
(a) She has no reaction.
(b) She is encouraging.
(c) She is thoughtful.
(d) She is enraged.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul sees a group of __________________ on the subway.
2. People at Verger's party refer to marijuana as ______________.
3. Paul writes in a letter to Liza that he thinks of them as ___________________.
4. Which club employee does Hart hit on?
5. Who is the father of Winnie's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Paul mail the letters he writes to Liza?
2. What do Paul and Kathryn realize at the end of the story?
3. What impact does Hart's dalliance with Margo have on Dinah?
4. What is Verger's current state of mind after May has left him?
5. What does Hart's misbehavior highlight regarding love and the need to protect relationships?
6. After the exhaustion of Hart's wildness, what does Paul begin to think about regarding another way of finding meaning in his life?
7. How does Agatson's death demonstrate the futility of the lives of all the characters?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing in Agatson's invitation to his "last birthday" party?
9. How do Winnie and Little Rock disrupt the dynamic of the group?
10. Why does Paul not even try to defend himself when Kathryn confronts him about his letters to Liza?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)