|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul writes in a letter to Liza that he thinks of them as ___________________.
(a) true lovers.
(b) eternal lovers.
(c) star-crossed lovers.
(d) doomed lovers.
2. Who has cut himself/herself off from the rest of the group?
3. Kathryn talks to Dinah about ______________________ Hart is.
(a) how wild.
(b) how handsome.
(c) how frugal.
(d) how intelligent.
4. How does Hart make Dinah bleed?
(a) He throws a glass at her.
(b) He cuts her hand.
(c) He pinches her with pliers.
(d) He punches her in the forehead.
5. Where does the woman in #85 live?
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul sees a group of __________________ on the subway.
2. Which of the following does Jack Waters NOT frequently talk about?
3. Paul's letters to Liza are filled with ______________________.
4. Where does Dinah go the day after her fight with Hart?
5. What news does Gene give to Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about Hart that makes him become the group's leader?
2. Why does Paul feel the need to call Estelle?
3. What is the metaphor of both Hart and Pasternak wanting a road trip at this point in time?
4. How does Agatson's death demonstrate the futility of the lives of all the characters?
5. Instead of their immature treatment of Kathryn, what is really important to Paul and Pasternak?
6. How does Hart's past behavior foreshadow trouble for the group?
7. Why is Paul unaware of his true feelings about Kathryn?
8. Why does the author position the grubby young man at the wharfside bar?
9. After the exhaustion of Hart's wildness, what does Paul begin to think about regarding another way of finding meaning in his life?
10. Why does Paul not even try to defend himself when Kathryn confronts him about his letters to Liza?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)