|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which club employee does Hart hit on?
2. With whom is the woman in #123 in love?
3. Paul sees a group of __________________ on the subway.
(a) Girl Scouts.
4. Winnie's boyfriend is a ___________________.
(b) petty criminal.
(d) dog catcher.
5. What news does Gene give to Paul?
(a) He is going to marry Christine.
(b) He is moving to Europe.
(c) A publisher has rejected his manuscript.
(d) Kathryn told him she loves him.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Verger in love?
2. Paul's letters to Liza are filled with ______________________.
3. Why does Kathryn tell Paul to get rid of the radio that Albert gave to Gene?
4. What does Albert give Gene as collateral for a $10 loan?
5. Who does Paul take home with him at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who seems to be the only truly loving person in this group of friends?
2. What is the significance of Ancke's constantly tidying up at Stofsky's apartment?
3. Why does Paul feel the need to call Estelle?
4. Why are the other characters so fascinated by the arrival of Hart Kennedy?
5. After the exhaustion of Hart's wildness, what does Paul begin to think about regarding another way of finding meaning in his life?
6. How do Paul and Pasternak feel about the tension between them regarding Pasternak's affair with Kathryn?
7. Why does the author position the grubby young man at the wharfside bar?
8. What is significant about the questions asked by the characters?
9. What is the significance of the radio that Kathryn rejects and Stofsky accepts?
10. How does Agatson's death demonstrate the futility of the lives of all the characters?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)