|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Stofsky goes to see Waters, Waters desperately wants ________________.
2. When Paul cannot concentrate on his book, he goes out because he is ______________.
(b) lacking inspiration.
3. Where did Paul grow up?
4. The book addresses a group of young people commonly called ________________.
(b) Generation X.
(c) The Beat Generation.
5. What nationality is Kathryn?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Daniel's last name?
2. Arthur is devoted to whom?
3. Stofsky has now decided to believe in _________________.
4. Kathryn's support of Gene and Christine's affair shows that _______________________.
5. Why does Kathryn especially hate her job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the conversation regarding infidelity reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
2. Why are the characters unable to find any clarity or purpose to their lives?
3. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
4. What is the significance of Paul Hobbes writing a love letter at the beginning of the novel?
5. Why is Pasternak standing in front of Christine's house when Stofsky and Hobbes try to find him in the bars?
6. What do Paul and Kathryn realize about their marriage and their life as they recover from the party the next day?
7. What is the real reason for Paul's irritation toward Pasternak, who is sleeping late in Paul's apartment?
8. Why are Paul and Kathryn at odds about his writing career and her job?
9. Describe the scene where Stofsky goes to see Waters in his flat and is picked up by the asylum attendants.
10. What lessons does Kathryn learn regarding her father and his death?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)