|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul tells Kathryn that it is _________________ for her to be attracted to someone else.
(a) a sin.
2. What is Paul's last name?
3. Kathryn is _________________ older than Paul.
(a) one year.
(b) eighteen months.
(c) two years.
(d) six months.
4. What announcement does Stofsky make to Paul one day?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He is going to Europe.
(c) He got a new job.
(d) He has quit therapy.
5. Stofsky receives a letter from ___________________ from his Merchant Marine days.
(a) Jack Waters.
(b) Jack Morton.
(c) Jack Daniels.
(d) Jack Dennison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Stofsky disenchanted with his therapist lately?
2. David says that Paul's monster is _____________________.
3. Gene tactfully does not mention Paul's _____________________.
4. What does Stofsky do when the people in #52 arrive?
5. What is the topic of an argument between Paul and Kathryn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul's lack of self-awareness drive the attachments he makes in his life?
2. How does the frantic behavior of the characters undermine their relationships with each other?
3. Why are Jack Waters' Existential thoughts not taken seriously?
4. How are Paul and Kathryn at odds regarding their different emotional needs?
5. How does the author show that Kathryn is more mature than Paul?
6. What is the significance of Paul Hobbes writing a love letter at the beginning of the novel?
7. What does the conversation regarding infidelity reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
8. Why is it not out of place for someone like Stofsky to talk about psychological issues during this time period?
9. Who is Christine and why is she in contrast to the other characters?
10. Why are Paul and Kathryn at odds about his writing career and her job?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)