|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Verger bring to Paul and Kathryn's party?
(b) Chips and dip.
2. Who helps Gene in his involvement with the woman in #55?
3. Waters raves that time is a/an __________________.
4. The reversal of traditional roles in a marriage is _________________ for Paul and Kathryn.
5. What is Daniel's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Paul annoyed with Gene at the beginning of the novel?
2. Stofsky receives a letter from ___________________ from his Merchant Marine days.
3. Who is trying to kick a morphine habit?
4. Why is Kathryn irritated at Paul when she returns home from work?
5. What does Waters do to Stofsky's wristwatch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the budding romance between Pasternak and Christine begin to mirror that of Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
2. Who seems to be the only truly loving person in this group of friends?
3. How are psychotherapy and writing compared and which seems to help the characters in the book?
4. What impact does Hart's dalliance with Margo have on Dinah?
5. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
6. Why is Pasternak standing in front of Christine's house when Stofsky and Hobbes try to find him in the bars?
7. Why are the other characters so fascinated by the arrival of Hart Kennedy?
8. Instead of their immature treatment of Kathryn, what is really important to Paul and Pasternak?
9. What lesson have Paul and Pasternak learned that maybe Stofsky still has to be enlightened about?
10. Why are Jack Waters' Existential thoughts not taken seriously?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)