|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Paul fall in love with when he returns to Columbia after his military discharge?
2. Who arrives at Waters' apartment?
(a) The asylum attendants.
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The police.
(d) The Chinese take-out guy.
3. What university did Paul attend?
4. What does Verger bring to Paul and Kathryn's party?
(c) Chips and dip.
5. Stofsky reads some of his poetry which was inspired by _________________________.
(a) his quest for justice.
(b) a man who kicked his girlfriend to death.
(c) his first love.
(d) the beauty of nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kathryn irritated at Paul when she returns home from work?
2. Why does Kathryn not want to go to David's party?
3. What is David's last name?
4. Stofsky has now decided to believe in _________________.
5. How does Paul feel when seeing the fight between the two men over the woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Kathryn is more mature than Paul?
2. What is the real reason for Paul's irritation toward Pasternak, who is sleeping late in Paul's apartment?
3. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
4. Who is Christine and why is she in contrast to the other characters?
5. Why is Pasternak standing in front of Christine's house when Stofsky and Hobbes try to find him in the bars?
6. Why do the characters at the party revel in the excitement of it?
7. How does the fight between the two men over a woman serve as a metaphor for what may lie ahead for Paul and Kathryn?
8. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
9. Why is it not out of place for someone like Stofsky to talk about psychological issues during this time period?
10. What does the aimless behavior of the characters signify in the book?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)