|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Christine and Gene fight at the party?
(a) He did not remember her birthday.
(b) He wants to go home early.
(c) He is smoking marijuana.
(d) He is flirting with other girls.
2. How does Paul feel when seeing the fight between the two men over the woman?
3. Why is Paul annoyed with Gene at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Gene has not made coffee.
(b) Gene has make a big mess in the kitchen.
(c) Gene is sleeping late.
(d) Gene leaves his clothes all over the apartment.
4. Why is Stofsky disenchanted with his therapist lately?
(a) His therapist is not available when he needs him.
(b) His therapist is not sexually interested in him.
(c) His therapist seems very distracted lately.
(d) His therapist has raised his rates.
5. Where has Kathryn gone for the weekend so that Paul can write?
(a) A weekend cruise.
(b) Her mother's.
(c) An offsite meeting for work.
(d) A bed and breakfast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kathryn's support of Gene and Christine's affair shows that _______________________.
2. What does Kathryn later tell Paul when she calls him from work?
3. What is Gene's last name?
4. Who is Paul's wife?
5. While reading poetry, Stofsky wonders if he is having a wonderful experience or ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Paul and Kathryn at odds about his writing career and her job?
2. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
3. What does the conversation regarding infidelity reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
4. How does the budding romance between Pasternak and Christine begin to mirror that of Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
5. What is the real reason for Paul's irritation toward Pasternak, who is sleeping late in Paul's apartment?
6. Why is it not out of place for someone like Stofsky to talk about psychological issues during this time period?
7. Why are Jack Waters' Existential thoughts not taken seriously?
8. How are Paul and Kathryn at odds regarding their different emotional needs?
9. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
10. Who is Christine and why is she in contrast to the other characters?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)