|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the people at Stofsky's party?
(b) Ego driven.
(d) Self involved.
2. Who is Paul's wife?
3. Why had Christine called Paul earlier in the day?
(a) She is worried that Gene is seeing another woman.
(b) She wanted Kathryn's recipe for French Onion Soup.
(c) She wanted to invite him and Kathryn to a party.
(d) She wanted to know what kind of cigars to buy for Gene.
4. How long have Paul and Kathryn been married?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 6 months.
5. Why do Christine and Gene fight at the party?
(a) He is flirting with other girls.
(b) He did not remember her birthday.
(c) He wants to go home early.
(d) He is smoking marijuana.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reversal of traditional roles in a marriage is _________________ for Paul and Kathryn.
2. What does Kathryn later tell Paul when she calls him from work?
3. Both Paul and Gene have written __________________.
4. Who helps Gene in his involvement with the woman in #55?
5. Why is Paul annoyed with Gene at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Instead of their immature treatment of Kathryn, what is really important to Paul and Pasternak?
2. What does Paul come to understand about his infidelity in the letters he has written to Liza?
3. Why does Paul not even try to defend himself when Kathryn confronts him about his letters to Liza?
4. Describe the scene where Stofsky goes to see Waters in his flat and is picked up by the asylum attendants.
5. Why is Paul unaware of his true feelings about Kathryn?
6. Why does the author position the grubby young man at the wharfside bar?
7. After the exhaustion of Hart's wildness, what does Paul begin to think about regarding another way of finding meaning in his life?
8. What is an example of how the post-war search for meaning is taking on toll on people?
9. What lessons does Kathryn learn regarding her father and his death?
10. How does Agatson's death demonstrate the futility of the lives of all the characters?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)