|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which girl does Gene take away from the party?
2. Who does Paul fall in love with when he returns to Columbia after his military discharge?
3. Stofsky has now decided to believe in _________________.
(b) random acts of kindness.
4. Waters raves that time is a/an __________________.
5. What lie does Paul tell Gene in order to get him to come out for a drink?
(a) He is going to Mexico in the morning.
(b) Kathryn has left him.
(c) His father just died.
(d) His manuscript was rejected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is David's last name?
2. Why is Gene mad at the girl in #26?
3. What is the topic of an argument between Paul and Kathryn?
4. Why had Christine called Paul earlier in the day?
5. Stofsky finds his own poetry to be ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the frantic behavior of the characters undermine their relationships with each other?
2. What is the significance of Paul Hobbes writing a love letter at the beginning of the novel?
3. What lessons does Kathryn learn regarding her father and his death?
4. How does the budding romance between Pasternak and Christine begin to mirror that of Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
5. How does Pasternak show his immaturity regarding Georgia and his still living with his parents?
6. What is the real reason for Paul's irritation toward Pasternak, who is sleeping late in Paul's apartment?
7. How are psychotherapy and writing compared and which seems to help the characters in the book?
8. What is an example of how the post-war search for meaning is taking on toll on people?
9. Why are the characters unable to find any clarity or purpose to their lives?
10. Why is it not out of place for someone like Stofsky to talk about psychological issues during this time period?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)