|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stofsky do when the people in #52 arrive?
(a) Hides in the closet.
(b) Pays them.
(c) Promises to turn down the stereo.
(d) Lets them search the apartment.
2. Who does Paul fall in love with when he returns to Columbia after his military discharge?
3. Each of the characters is searching for?
(a) Better jobs.
(b) The key to their pasts.
(c) True love.
(d) Something to believe in.
4. David says that Gene's monster is ________________.
(a) his fear of failure.
(b) his mother.
(c) his anorexia.
(d) his alcohol addiction.
5. Who is Paul's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Stofsky quotes a poem written by ________________.
2. Why does Kathryn especially hate her job?
3. What announcement does Stofsky make to Paul one day?
4. Paul feels guilty when Kathryn comes home and begins to _________________.
5. In what state does Hart Kennedy live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the characters unable to find any clarity or purpose to their lives?
2. What does Chapter 2 reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage and the strain that Paul's hopeful writing career places on it?
3. Why is it not out of place for someone like Stofsky to talk about psychological issues during this time period?
4. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
5. What does the aimless behavior of the characters signify in the book?
6. What is the real reason for Paul's irritation toward Pasternak, who is sleeping late in Paul's apartment?
7. Describe the scene where Stofsky goes to see Waters in his flat and is picked up by the asylum attendants.
8. What lessons does Kathryn learn regarding her father and his death?
9. What is the premise of GO?
10. What does Paul's letter to someone named Liza signify for the plot?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)