|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Kathryn gone for the weekend so that Paul can write?
(a) A bed and breakfast.
(b) An offsite meeting for work.
(c) Her mother's.
(d) A weekend cruise.
2. What is Arthur's last name?
3. Who does Paul kiss at the party?
4. How long have Paul and Kathryn been married?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 3 years.
5. Kathryn feels that she is the one who ____________________ in the marriage.
(b) loves the most.
(c) is more vested.
(d) sacrifices the most.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stofsky quotes a poem written by ________________.
2. Who is Paul's wife?
3. What lie does Paul tell Gene in order to get him to come out for a drink?
4. Gene tactfully does not mention Paul's _____________________.
5. What is David's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an example of how the post-war search for meaning is taking on toll on people?
2. How does the frantic behavior of the characters undermine their relationships with each other?
3. How does Paul's lack of self-awareness drive the attachments he makes in his life?
4. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
5. Why are Paul and Kathryn at odds about his writing career and her job?
6. What is the real reason for Paul's irritation toward Pasternak, who is sleeping late in Paul's apartment?
7. Describe the scene where Stofsky goes to see Waters in his flat and is picked up by the asylum attendants.
8. How are psychotherapy and writing compared and which seems to help the characters in the book?
9. Why is it not out of place for someone like Stofsky to talk about psychological issues during this time period?
10. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)