|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Waters do to Stofsky's wristwatch?
(a) Steals it.
(b) Sells it.
(c) Smashes it.
(d) Throws it in the commode.
2. Stofsky reads some of his poetry which was inspired by _________________________.
(a) his first love.
(b) a man who kicked his girlfriend to death.
(c) the beauty of nature.
(d) his quest for justice.
3. Kathryn believes that Paul is more interested in ________________ than her.
(a) his friends.
4. Who helps Gene in his involvement with the woman in #55?
5. While reading poetry, Stofsky wonders if he is having a wonderful experience or ___________________.
(a) is drunk.
(b) is tripping.
(c) is unconscious.
(d) going crazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device does the author use when describing the sight of the big man beating up the little man over a woman outside a bar?
2. How long have Paul and Kathryn been married?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe the people at Stofsky's party?
4. Stofsky begins to wonder if God could be __________________.
5. Which girl does Gene take away from the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
2. What does the aimless behavior of the characters signify in the book?
3. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
4. What does Paul's letter to someone named Liza signify for the plot?
5. Why do the characters at the party revel in the excitement of it?
6. How does the fight between the two men over a woman serve as a metaphor for what may lie ahead for Paul and Kathryn?
7. How does the author show that Kathryn is more mature than Paul?
8. Who is Christine and why is she in contrast to the other characters?
9. What is an example of how the post-war search for meaning is taking on toll on people?
10. What is the real reason for Paul's irritation toward Pasternak, who is sleeping late in Paul's apartment?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)