|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stofsky receives a letter from ___________________ from his Merchant Marine days.
(a) Jack Dennison.
(b) Jack Daniels.
(c) Jack Waters.
(d) Jack Morton.
2. David says that Paul's monster is _____________________.
(a) his wife.
(b) his drug addiction.
(c) his sense of decorum.
(d) his smoking habit.
3. The reversal of traditional roles in a marriage is _________________ for Paul and Kathryn.
4. Waters raves that time is a/an __________________.
5. How had Stofsky's father reacted when Stofsky told him he was a homosexual?
(a) He was enraged.
(b) He was accepting.
(c) He was sad.
(d) He had no reaction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arthur is devoted to whom?
2. When Stofsky goes to see Waters, Waters desperately wants ________________.
3. While reading poetry, Stofsky wonders if he is having a wonderful experience or ___________________.
4. What is Paul's last name?
5. What does Kathryn later tell Paul when she calls him from work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the characters at the party revel in the excitement of it?
2. How does the fight between the two men over a woman serve as a metaphor for what may lie ahead for Paul and Kathryn?
3. Why is Pasternak standing in front of Christine's house when Stofsky and Hobbes try to find him in the bars?
4. How does the frantic behavior of the characters undermine their relationships with each other?
5. What is an example of how the post-war search for meaning is taking on toll on people?
6. How does Paul's lack of self-awareness drive the attachments he makes in his life?
7. How does the author show that Kathryn is more mature than Paul?
8. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
9. Why is it not out of place for someone like Stofsky to talk about psychological issues during this time period?
10. How does the budding romance between Pasternak and Christine begin to mirror that of Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)