|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Daniel's last name?
2. What is David's last name?
3. What does Waters do to Stofsky's wristwatch?
(a) Sells it.
(b) Steals it.
(c) Smashes it.
(d) Throws it in the commode.
4. After Gene and Christine leave the bar, Paul and Kathryn discuss ________________________.
(a) their finances.
(b) Paul's manuscript.
(c) holiday plans.
(d) how they would feel if one of them had an affair.
5. What branch of the service did Paul serve in during World War II?
(c) Air Force.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul fall in love with when he returns to Columbia after his military discharge?
2. What is Paul and Kathryn's favorite restaurant?
3. The book addresses a group of young people commonly called ________________.
4. Why is Kathryn irritated at Paul when she returns home from work?
5. Who is interested in the woman in #22 at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 2 reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage and the strain that Paul's hopeful writing career places on it?
2. What do Paul and Kathryn realize about their marriage and their life as they recover from the party the next day?
3. What does Paul's letter to someone named Liza signify for the plot?
4. What is an example of how the post-war search for meaning is taking on toll on people?
5. How does Pasternak show his immaturity regarding Georgia and his still living with his parents?
6. How are psychotherapy and writing compared and which seems to help the characters in the book?
7. How does the frantic behavior of the characters undermine their relationships with each other?
8. Why are Paul and Kathryn at odds about his writing career and her job?
9. How are Paul and Kathryn at odds regarding their different emotional needs?
10. Describe the scene where Stofsky goes to see Waters in his flat and is picked up by the asylum attendants.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)