|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul feels guilty when Kathryn comes home and begins to _________________.
(a) cook dinner.
(b) tidy the apartment.
(c) do laundry.
(d) pay bills.
2. What nationality is Kathryn?
3. What branch of the service did Paul serve in during World War II?
(a) Air Force.
4. What does Kathryn later tell Paul when she calls him from work?
(a) She doesn't want Gene to bring girls to their apartment anymore.
(b) He needs to get some fresh vegetables at the market.
(c) He needs to pay the utility bills.
(d) She will be leaving work early today.
5. Why does Kathryn especially hate her job?
(a) Her boss yells at her.
(b) She doesn't make much money.
(c) She is underutilized.
(d) The commute is too long.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul kiss at the party?
2. To whose apartment does Paul go to later that night?
3. Each of the characters is searching for?
4. Who is Bianca?
5. Stofsky reads some of his poetry which was inspired by _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the characters at the party revel in the excitement of it?
2. Why is it not out of place for someone like Stofsky to talk about psychological issues during this time period?
3. How does Paul's lack of self-awareness drive the attachments he makes in his life?
4. What are some of the ways in which Stofsky searches for meaning in his life?
5. What lessons does Kathryn learn regarding her father and his death?
6. Why are the characters unable to find any clarity or purpose to their lives?
7. What does Paul's letter to someone named Liza signify for the plot?
8. What is an example of how the post-war search for meaning is taking on toll on people?
9. How does the author show that Kathryn is more mature than Paul?
10. Who is Christine and why is she in contrast to the other characters?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)