|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Arthur is devoted to whom?
2. Stofsky often feels unloved and freakish due to ______________________.
(a) his lack of true friends.
(b) his inability to get published.
(c) his mother's commitment to an insane asylum.
(d) his continual rejection by women.
3. Both Paul and Gene have written __________________.
(b) a thesis.
(c) short stories.
(d) Letters to the Editor.
4. What is Arthur's last name?
5. David says that Gene's monster is ________________.
(a) his alcohol addiction.
(b) his mother.
(c) his fear of failure.
(d) his anorexia.
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman mentioned in #68 is described as __________________.
2. Who does Paul fall in love with when he returns to Columbia after his military discharge?
3. Gene becomes deeply involved with whom?
4. Stofsky receives a letter from ___________________ from his Merchant Marine days.
5. Stofsky has now decided to believe in _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 2 reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage and the strain that Paul's hopeful writing career places on it?
2. Why is it not out of place for someone like Stofsky to talk about psychological issues during this time period?
3. How are Paul and Kathryn at odds regarding their different emotional needs?
4. Describe the scene where Stofsky goes to see Waters in his flat and is picked up by the asylum attendants.
5. What is the significance of Paul Hobbes writing a love letter at the beginning of the novel?
6. How does the fight between the two men over a woman serve as a metaphor for what may lie ahead for Paul and Kathryn?
7. What does the conversation regarding infidelity reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage?
8. Why are the characters unable to find any clarity or purpose to their lives?
9. What lessons does Kathryn learn regarding her father and his death?
10. How does Paul's lack of self-awareness drive the attachments he makes in his life?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)