|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Christine and Gene fight at the party?
(a) He is smoking marijuana.
(b) He is flirting with other girls.
(c) He did not remember her birthday.
(d) He wants to go home early.
2. Stofsky has now decided to believe in _________________.
(d) random acts of kindness.
3. Who is Stofsky's therapist?
(a) Dr. Krafft.
(b) Dr. Yohannes.
(c) Dr. Groby.
(d) Dr. Milan.
4. Why had Christine called Paul earlier in the day?
(a) She wanted to invite him and Kathryn to a party.
(b) She is worried that Gene is seeing another woman.
(c) She wanted to know what kind of cigars to buy for Gene.
(d) She wanted Kathryn's recipe for French Onion Soup.
5. What is Paul and Kathryn's favorite restaurant?
(b) Olive Garden.
(c) The Athens.
(d) Villa Blanca.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Daniel's last name?
2. What is Arthur's last name?
3. What is David's last name?
4. What branch of the service did Paul serve in during World War II?
5. Gene tactfully does not mention Paul's _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Paul Hobbes writing a love letter at the beginning of the novel?
2. What do Paul and Kathryn realize about their marriage and their life as they recover from the party the next day?
3. How does the frantic behavior of the characters undermine their relationships with each other?
4. What does Chapter 2 reveal about Paul and Kathryn's marriage and the strain that Paul's hopeful writing career places on it?
5. Why are Paul and Kathryn at odds about his writing career and her job?
6. Why are the characters unable to find any clarity or purpose to their lives?
7. What lessons does Kathryn learn regarding her father and his death?
8. What does the party at Stofsky's apartment serve as a metaphor for?
9. Why are Jack Waters' Existential thoughts not taken seriously?
10. Who is Christine and why is she in contrast to the other characters?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)