|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Each of the characters is searching for?
(a) The key to their pasts.
(b) Better jobs.
(c) True love.
(d) Something to believe in.
2. Why is Kathryn irritated at Paul when she returns home from work?
(a) Paul and his friends are drinking beer.
(b) Paul hasn't washed the breakfast dishes.
(c) Paul is napping.
(d) Paul is not home.
3. Who is Paul's wife?
4. How does Paul feel when seeing the fight between the two men over the woman?
5. The book addresses a group of young people commonly called ________________.
(c) Generation X.
(d) The Beat Generation.
6. What is the topic of an argument between Paul and Kathryn?
(a) When she can quit her job.
(b) When they can get a bigger apartment.
(c) When they will move from Manhattan.
(d) Why he drinks so much during the day.
7. What does Stofsky do when the people in #52 arrive?
(a) Lets them search the apartment.
(b) Promises to turn down the stereo.
(c) Pays them.
(d) Hides in the closet.
8. What does Verger bring to Paul and Kathryn's party?
(d) Chips and dip.
9. Where does Paul's wife work?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A college.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A public relations firm.
10. After Gene and Christine leave the bar, Paul and Kathryn discuss ________________________.
(a) how they would feel if one of them had an affair.
(b) holiday plans.
(c) their finances.
(d) Paul's manuscript.
11. Why had Christine called Paul earlier in the day?
(a) She is worried that Gene is seeing another woman.
(b) She wanted to know what kind of cigars to buy for Gene.
(c) She wanted Kathryn's recipe for French Onion Soup.
(d) She wanted to invite him and Kathryn to a party.
12. What is Paul and Kathryn's favorite restaurant?
(a) Villa Blanca.
(c) The Athens.
(d) Olive Garden.
13. Both Paul and Gene have written __________________.
(a) Letters to the Editor.
(c) a thesis.
(d) short stories.
14. Stofsky receives a letter from ___________________ from his Merchant Marine days.
(a) Jack Daniels.
(b) Jack Dennison.
(c) Jack Morton.
(d) Jack Waters.
15. Paul tells Kathryn that it is _________________ for her to be attracted to someone else.
(d) a sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kathryn's support of Gene and Christine's affair shows that _______________________.
2. Where has Kathryn gone for the weekend so that Paul can write?
3. Who does Paul kiss at the party?
4. Where did Paul grow up?
5. Which girl does Gene take away from the party?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)