|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kathryn especially hate her job?
(a) She is underutilized.
(b) She doesn't make much money.
(c) Her boss yells at her.
(d) The commute is too long.
2. David says that Paul's monster is _____________________.
(a) his sense of decorum.
(b) his drug addiction.
(c) his wife.
(d) his smoking habit.
3. What literary device does the author use when describing the sight of the big man beating up the little man over a woman outside a bar?
4. Which girl does Gene take away from the party?
5. Kathryn's support of Gene and Christine's affair shows that _______________________.
(a) she likes Gene.
(b) her thoughts of her own marriage are changing.
(c) she has loose morals.
(d) she tries to be a good person.
6. What is the topic of an argument between Paul and Kathryn?
(a) Why he drinks so much during the day.
(b) When they will move from Manhattan.
(c) When they can get a bigger apartment.
(d) When she can quit her job.
7. David says that Gene's monster is ________________.
(a) his fear of failure.
(b) his mother.
(c) his alcohol addiction.
(d) his anorexia.
8. Stofsky receives a letter from ___________________ from his Merchant Marine days.
(a) Jack Dennison.
(b) Jack Morton.
(c) Jack Waters.
(d) Jack Daniels.
9. What is Paul's last name?
10. Who is the young mother who Paul and Kathryn meet at the party?
11. What is David organizing?
(a) A party.
(b) A fundraiser.
(c) A band.
(d) A study group.
12. How had Stofsky's father reacted when Stofsky told him he was a homosexual?
(a) He was enraged.
(b) He had no reaction.
(c) He was sad.
(d) He was accepting.
13. How long have Paul and Kathryn been married?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 2 years.
14. After Gene and Christine leave the bar, Paul and Kathryn discuss ________________________.
(a) holiday plans.
(b) Paul's manuscript.
(c) how they would feel if one of them had an affair.
(d) their finances.
15. Who does Paul fall in love with when he returns to Columbia after his military discharge?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gene tactfully does not mention Paul's _____________________.
2. Kathryn feels that she is the one who ____________________ in the marriage.
3. Why is Stofsky disenchanted with his therapist lately?
4. Who does Paul kiss at the party?
5. What lie does Paul tell Gene in order to get him to come out for a drink?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)