|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does the narrator say "Cal said she didn't want to talk about [him] because he wasn't fit to associate with humans" in Part 4, Chapter 11?
2. What is the name of Calpurnia's son?
3. At what time does Jean Louise wake up in the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 12?
4. What time do the guests arrive for Jean Louise's Coffee in Part 5, Chapter 13?
5. How long does it take for Jean Louise to master a simple box step before the dance in Part 6, Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry justify Atticus’s membership in the Ku Klux Klan in Part 6, Chapter 16?
2. What has foreshadowed the car accident that occurs in Part 4, Chapter 12?
3. Why is Jean Louise forced to face a confession in the flashback in Part 6, Chapter 15?
4. What is Atticus Finch’s motivation for representing Frank in court?
5. What happens when Jean Louise arrives at Uncle Jack’s house in Part 5, Chapter 14?
6. Why do you think Calpurnia acts as she does when Jean Louise visits her in Part 4, Chapter 12?
7. Where does Jean Louise go and what does she think about after her father’s conversation regarding Frank’s trial in Part 4, Chapter 12?
8. What is notable about the Calpurnia’s manner of speech when Jean Louise visits her?
9. What advice does Henry give to Jean Louise regarding the school principal in Part 6, Chapter 15?
10. How does Jean Louise feel after her conversation with Uncle Jack in Part 5, Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What earlier trial of Atticus Finch’s is referred to in Go Set a Watchman? How is this trial displayed in To Kill a Mockingbird? In what ways does the trial connect the two novels?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s use of flashback in Go Set a Watchman. What is revealed about the main characters through the flashbacks in the narrative? How is theme employed in these flashbacks? How do the flashbacks serve the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jean Louise’s views on race, racism, and the South. Do you think that Jean Louise’s views are vastly different from those of Atticus, Alexandra, or Uncle Jack? Why or why not? What has shaped Jean Louise’s views on racial prejudice?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)