|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as the laziest of the Old Sarum boys in Part 4, Chapter 11?
2. What is Jean Louise immersed in when she is fourteen?
3. What is the name of Hester Sinclair's black servant?
4. What term from Part 5, Chapter 14 refers to a statment that is not connected to the conversation at hand?
5. What book does Jean Louise find in her house that frightens her "to mute hysteria by pictures of medieval labor chairs" in Part 4, Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the details of the car accident that is revealed in Part 4, Chapter 12?
2. How is the theme of identity explored in Part 5, Chapter 14?
3. What is Atticus Finch’s motivation for representing Frank in court?
4. How does Uncle Jack define his greatest fears and the fears of the Council members in Part 5, Chapter 14?
5. How does Jean Louise perceive the concept of “manners,” as seen in the novel?
6. What has foreshadowed the car accident that occurs in Part 4, Chapter 12?
7. Why is Jean Louise forced to face a confession in the flashback in Part 6, Chapter 15?
8. What does Jean Louise remark about New York during the Coffee in Part 5, Chapter 13?
9. What does Jean Louise ponder regarding her recent discoveries in Part 4, Chapter 12?
10. What is notable about the Calpurnia’s manner of speech when Jean Louise visits her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jean Louise’s views on race, racism, and the South. Do you think that Jean Louise’s views are vastly different from those of Atticus, Alexandra, or Uncle Jack? Why or why not? What has shaped Jean Louise’s views on racial prejudice?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Maycomb County Citizens' Council? What are the objectives of this organization? What is Atticus Finch’s involvement with the organization? How does Jean Louise discover her father’s involvement and how does she respond?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author’s use of flashback in Go Set a Watchman. What is revealed about the main characters through the flashbacks in the narrative? How is theme employed in these flashbacks? How do the flashbacks serve the plot?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)