|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the yard man that Jean Louise recalls working for her family when she grew up?
2. What does Jean Louise do after Ada Belle tells her how girls get pregnant in Part 4, Chapter 11?
3. Who was Jean Louise's sixth grade teacher?
4. Whom does Jem take to the junior-senior dance in Part 6, Chapter 15?
5. Who is associated with Communism by the women at the Coffee in Part 5, Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Uncle Jack respond to Jean Louise’s revelations about her father in Part 5, Chapter 14?
2. What does Jean Louise remark about New York during the Coffee in Part 5, Chapter 13?
3. What does Jean Louise ponder regarding her recent discoveries in Part 4, Chapter 12?
4. What is notable about the Calpurnia’s manner of speech when Jean Louise visits her?
5. How does Uncle Jack define his greatest fears and the fears of the Council members in Part 5, Chapter 14?
6. What is revealed of Jean Louise’s relationship with Calpurnia through the flashback in Part 4, Chapter 11?
7. What are the details of the car accident that is revealed in Part 4, Chapter 12?
8. What has foreshadowed the car accident that occurs in Part 4, Chapter 12?
9. What does Jean Louise do in preparation for the Commencement Dance in the flashback in Part 6, Chapter 15?
10. How would you describe Jean Louise’s perceptions of racism amongst her family and the residents of Maycomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jean Louise’s flashback to the Commencement Dance when she was fourteen. What is the “moral” of this story? How is Atticus’s character revealed through his actions in this story? How is Henry’s character revealed through his actions in this story?
Essay Topic 2
What earlier trial of Atticus Finch’s is referred to in Go Set a Watchman? How is this trial displayed in To Kill a Mockingbird? In what ways does the trial connect the two novels?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot structure of Go Set a Watchman. Where in the narrative do the following occur: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement? How traditionally structured is the story? How would you compare the structure of Go Set a Watchman with To Kill a Mockingbird?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)