|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American poet and Confederate soldier is alluded to in Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. Where do Jem, Jean Louise, and Dill play their pretend game in the flashback in Part 2, Chapter 5?
3. Where did Uncle Jack have a bone practice before retiring?
4. How much money does Jean Louise tip the porter when she departs in Maycomb?
5. How much aspirin does Henry say Atticus takes each day in Part 1, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry describe his perceptions of his relationship with Jean Louise in Part 2, Chapter 4? How does Jean Louise respond?
2. How would you describe Henry and Jean Louise’s past? What does the author reveal of their history through exposition in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. What can be discerned of Jean Louise’s character based on her remarks about Edgar to Alexandra in Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. What is foreshadowed by Jean Louise and Henry’s swim in the river in Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. What does Henry reveal about Atticus’s health in Part 1, Chapter 1?
6. What rumor has emerged regarding Jean Louise in Part 3, Chapter 6? How do Atticus and Alexandra respond?
7. What is remarked about Jean Louise’s perceptions in the end of Part 3, Chapter 10?
8. What causes the game of “Revival” to be broken up in the flashback in Part 2, Chapter 5?
9. How does Jean Louise respond to the discoveries made about her father in Part 3?
10. How does the theme of tradition emerge in Part 3, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Dill in Go Set a Watchman and in To Kill a Mockingbird. What is revealed about Dill through Jean Louise in Go Set a Watchman? Why do you think the character of Dill is more focused upon in Harper Lee’s later draft (To Kill a Mockingbird)?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jean Louise’s relationship with Calpurnia in Go Set a Watchman. What role did Calpurnia play in Jean Louise’s childhood? How has their relationship changed? Why do you think their relationship has changed?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Maycomb County Citizens' Council? What are the objectives of this organization? What is Atticus Finch’s involvement with the organization? How does Jean Louise discover her father’s involvement and how does she respond?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)