|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What internal conflict does Jean Louise face regarding Henry?
2. How much aspirin does Henry say Atticus takes each day in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. For how many years has Alexandra been married?
4. How much older than Uncle Jack is Atticus Finch?
5. Who passes the collection plate during church service in Part 3, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed of Atticus’s character in the flashback in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. Who is Alexandra? What characteristics define Alexandra in Go Set a Watchman?
3. Who is Jem? How is this character described? How did Jem die?
4. How is the character of Charles Baker Harris described in Go Set a Watchman?
5. What is remarked about Jean Louise’s perceptions in the end of Part 3, Chapter 10?
6. Who is Mr. O’Hanlon? What is revealed of his character in Part 3, Chapter 8?
7. How does Henry describe his perceptions of his relationship with Jean Louise in Part 2, Chapter 4? How does Jean Louise respond?
8. What indication does Jean Louise give that she will in fact marry Henry in Part 2, Chapter 5?
9. What causes the game of “Revival” to be broken up in the flashback in Part 2, Chapter 5?
10. How does the theme of tradition emerge in Part 3, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between characterizations of Atticus Finch in Go Set a Watchman and To Kill a Mockingbird. How did this character evolve in Harper Lee’s drafts? Why do you think the character changed? Do you think that Atticus is more realistic in one novel over the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Jean Louise Finch as the protagonist of Go Set a Watchman. How old is Jean Louise in the narrative? For how long has Jean Louise lived away from Maycomb? Where does she live? How does Jean Louise’s character evolve in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author’s use of flashback in Go Set a Watchman. What is revealed about the main characters through the flashbacks in the narrative? How is theme employed in these flashbacks? How do the flashbacks serve the plot?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)