|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jean Louise say Dill is currently in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. What river does Jean Louise cross at the Alabama/Georgia border during her journey in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. Who is described in Part 1, Chapter 1 as Jean Louise's "long-departed cousin... whose private literary preserves stretched from the Black Belt to Bayou La Batre"?
4. What American poet and Confederate soldier is alluded to in Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. What is Uncle Jack's full name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jean Louise introduced in Part 1, Chapter 1? Where does she live and where is she traveling?
2. Who is Jem? How is this character described? How did Jem die?
3. How would you describe Henry and Jean Louise’s past? What does the author reveal of their history through exposition in Part 1, Chapter 1?
4. How would you describe Atticus Finch in Go Set a Watchman? How does Jean Louise perceive her father in the beginning of the novel?
5. Who is Mr. O’Hanlon? What is revealed of his character in Part 3, Chapter 8?
6. How is the theme of trust illustrated in Part 3, Chapter 6?
7. What causes the game of “Revival” to be broken up in the flashback in Part 2, Chapter 5?
8. What news does Jean Louise learn from Atticus and Alexandra when she arrives home in Part 1, Chapter 2?
9. What is said regarding a Supreme Court case in Part 1, Chapter 2?
10. What indication does Jean Louise give that she will in fact marry Henry in Part 2, Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jean Louise’s views on race, racism, and the South. Do you think that Jean Louise’s views are vastly different from those of Atticus, Alexandra, or Uncle Jack? Why or why not? What has shaped Jean Louise’s views on racial prejudice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s use of flashback in Go Set a Watchman. What is revealed about the main characters through the flashbacks in the narrative? How is theme employed in these flashbacks? How do the flashbacks serve the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Maycomb County Citizens' Council? What are the objectives of this organization? What is Atticus Finch’s involvement with the organization? How does Jean Louise discover her father’s involvement and how does she respond?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)