|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean Louise say would become of her if she lived in Maycomb in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. What is described in the narrative as Jean Louise's favorite game?
3. Who is the organ player at church in Part 3, Chapter 7?
4. From what Bible passage is the phrase "Go set a watchman" derived?
5. With whom does Atticus arrive at home during the pretend game in the flashback from Part 2, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Alexandra’s perceptions of race? How does she regard the pamphlet Jean Louise finds?
2. What can be discerned of Jean Louise’s character based on her remarks about Edgar to Alexandra in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. What is remarked about Jean Louise’s perceptions in the end of Part 3, Chapter 10?
4. What is revealed of Atticus’s character in the flashback in Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. Who is Alexandra? What characteristics define Alexandra in Go Set a Watchman?
6. How is the setting of Maycomb, Alabama described in Part 2, Chapter 4?
7. What does Henry reveal about Atticus’s health in Part 1, Chapter 1?
8. How does Jean Louise perceive her future with Henry in Part 1, Chapter 1?
9. How is Mr. Willoughby’s character described? What are Jean Louise’s perceptions of Mr. Willoughby?
10. What rumor has emerged regarding Jean Louise in Part 3, Chapter 6? How do Atticus and Alexandra respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot structure of Go Set a Watchman. Where in the narrative do the following occur: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement? How traditionally structured is the story? How would you compare the structure of Go Set a Watchman with To Kill a Mockingbird?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jean Louise’s views on race, racism, and the South. Do you think that Jean Louise’s views are vastly different from those of Atticus, Alexandra, or Uncle Jack? Why or why not? What has shaped Jean Louise’s views on racial prejudice?
Essay Topic 3
What trial does Atticus Finch decide to take in Go Set a Watchman? Who is being charged in this trial? What are Atticus’s motivations for taking the case? How does Jean Louise respond to the case?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)