|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry tell Jean Louise he might do in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. What is described in the narrative as Jean Louise's favorite game?
3. What denomination is the church that Jean Louise's family attends in Maycomb?
4. How old is Uncle Jack's yellow cat described as in Part 3, Chapter 6?
5. What is described in Part 1, Chapter 1 as Jean Louise's "Maycomb clothes" that she puts on before arriving?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Charles Baker Harris described in Go Set a Watchman?
2. What causes the game of “Revival” to be broken up in the flashback in Part 2, Chapter 5?
3. How does Jean Louise respond to the discoveries made about her father in Part 3?
4. Who is Alexandra? What characteristics define Alexandra in Go Set a Watchman?
5. What can be discerned of Jean Louise’s character based on her remarks about Edgar to Alexandra in Part 1, Chapter 2?
6. What news does Jean Louise learn from Atticus and Alexandra when she arrives home in Part 1, Chapter 2?
7. How does Henry describe his perceptions of his relationship with Jean Louise in Part 2, Chapter 4? How does Jean Louise respond?
8. How would you describe Henry and Jean Louise’s past? What does the author reveal of their history through exposition in Part 1, Chapter 1?
9. What rumor has emerged regarding Jean Louise in Part 3, Chapter 6? How do Atticus and Alexandra respond?
10. What is significant about Henry pointing out how Jean Louise drinks her coffee in Part 2, Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What trial does Atticus Finch decide to take in Go Set a Watchman? Who is being charged in this trial? What are Atticus’s motivations for taking the case? How does Jean Louise respond to the case?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Jem in Go Set a Watchman. How did Jem die? Why do you think the author chose to explore Jem’s character further in To Kill a Mockingbird? How has Jem influenced Jean Louise’s character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jean Louise’s flashback to the Commencement Dance when she was fourteen. What is the “moral” of this story? How is Atticus’s character revealed through his actions in this story? How is Henry’s character revealed through his actions in this story?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)