|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tom?
2. Who does Anonymous get to know right before she leaves Oregon?
3. With what were the chocolate covered peanuts that the narrator ate, laced?
4. Where is Joel's father?
5. What lie did Jan tell the police about Anonymous?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anonymous react to being in the psychiatric hospital at first?
2. Why was Anonymous committed to a psychiatric hospital?
3. How is the narrator treated by her drug dealer in Oregon, and how does this affect her state of mind?
4. What purpose do you think Tom plays in the story?
5. How do you think the narrator ended up in Denver, and why do you think she doesn't write about it?
6. Why do you think Anonymous doesn't want to tell her parents about her problems at school and with the "flashback?"
7. Why is Anonymous excited about leading her piano recital?
8. What happens to Anonymous while she's babysitting?
9. What does Anonymous give to her father for her birthday, and why do you think he is almost in tears when he receives that gift?
10. Describe Anonymous's experience in New York, and why you think it is important to the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that the narrator's overdose was accidental or intentional? Does the overall message of the story change depending on whether or not she committed suicide? If so, how? If not, why?
Essay Topic 2
How does the point-of-view influence the story? How would the story be different if it were written as a third-person narrative?
Essay Topic 3
This story takes place during the early 1970's, when the counterculture played an important role in the lives of many young people. Research and describe the counterculture of the early 1970's, and explain why you think the narrator is drawn to it.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)