|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beth's religious background?
2. Who are Richie and Ted?
3. To what drug does Richie introduce Anonymous in Part 3?
4. What happens as a result of the narrator's parents' criticism?
5. How does the narrator's writing change in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chris and Anonymous's contrasting experiences with jobs after they arrive in San Francisco.
2. Describe the narrator's first experiences at school in Part 2.
3. Why does the main character want to lose her virginity to Roger?
4. What happens at the party in Part 2, and what effect does this have on the narrator?
5. Why is the main character insecure in Part 1?
6. Why does Anonymous decide to move to San Francisco with Chris?
7. Describe Tim and Alexandria's first experiences at their new school.
8. What Christmas carol lyric does Anonymous relate to at the end of Part 4, and why is this important?
9. Why do Chris and the narrator decide to return home?
10. Why doesn't the main character talk to her friends or her mother about her insecurities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people have preconceptions about what drug users are like. What did you think drug users were like before you read Go Ask Alice? Has reading this story changed any of your assumptions?
Essay Topic 2
Prepare a detailed analysis of attitudes and new developments regarding psychiatry in the 1970s, and, based on your research, describe whether you think that the narrator's experience in a psychiatric hospital was a typical one.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator describes her mother in two very different ways; sometimes as a loving parents, deserving of respect and admiration, and sometimes as extremely uncaring and frigid. Describe why you think the narrator feels this way about her mother, and what role this ambivalent relationship plays in the story.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)