|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in the Coca-Cola?
2. How old is the narrator at the beginning of the story?
3. Why are Chris and Anonymous troubled by the students who frequent their shop?
4. What is one reason that the narrator worries about moving?
5. How does the narrator intend to keep the diary a secret from now on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chris and Anonymous's parents think is the reason they decided to return home, and how do they react when they see them?
2. Why doesn't the main character talk to her friends or her mother about her insecurities?
3. Why does the narrator's family have to move?
4. Explain what significant event happens at Sheila's party , and what effect this event has on Chris and Anonymous.
5. What purpose do the descriptions of Tim and Alexandria's experiences at school serve?
6. Describe the narrator's relationship with her mother at the beginning of the story.
7. Why is the main character insecure in Part 1?
8. Why does Anonymous decide to move to San Francisco with Chris?
9. Why is the narrator upset at the end of Part 1?
10. Describe Chris and Anonymous's contrasting experiences with jobs after they arrive in San Francisco.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At several points in the story, the narrator resolves to stay clean and is unsuccessful. Give at least 2 reasons why you think that she cannot stay away from drugs.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrator's state of mind at the beginning of the story. What kinds of traits make her vulnerable to drug abuse? What purposes do they serve for her?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator makes many friends over the course of her journey. Choose two of the characters with whom she forms a relationship, and compare and contrast their influence on her thoughts and actions.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)