|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did Muhammed give some of the papyri since he felt that he needed to get rid of them before the police found them?
(a) A leper.
(b) His cousin.
(c) The King.
(d) The priest.
2. The finding of the earthenware jar became known as the Naj or the Nag ________________ find.
3. What did Muhammed believe might be in the jar that he and his brothers found?
4. One God, One _________ became the doctrine of the church, according to the text in this chapter.
5. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
Short Answer Questions
1. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
2. A letter to the Bishop of Rome stated the difference between ________ and priesthood, defining the reality of the Roman church.
3. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
4. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
5. In Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, North American Indian, and other faiths, the ____________ is a conspicuous component of the faith, sometimes to the exclusion of the masculine.
Short Essay Questions
1. In the trinity of Christianity, only one of the three principals is genderless, which one?
2. What is the image that would infuriate the orthodox, the one that is described in Nag Hammadi's Apocalypse of Peter?
3. What kind of suffering was focused on in the Gnostic path and the belief system?
4. What do most people agree about in terms of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
5. What was the vision that John had, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion in the Apocryphon of John?
6. After the death of Judas, the only true candidate for succession was which apostle?
7. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, so what did they choose to stress in their communities?
8. What does Pagels point out in terms of the orthodox church's agenda in relation to conformity?
9. Describe the idea of the social reality in which those who practice orthodox faith live.
10. What is the Christian creed some believe was created in order to exclude Marcion?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)