|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
(b) Given as gifts.
(c) Used as kindling.
2. What were Muhammed 'Ali and his brothers digging for?
3. In the Apocryphon of John, the ____________ was the Holy Spirit as a part of the Holy Trinity.
4. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
5. Valentinus described God as the Father, the Ineffable, the Depth, and the Primal ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
2. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
3. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
4. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
5. The Hebrew term for Spirit is _______________, as the author prefers this term from the Secret Book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the explanations that the Gnostics offered for the resurrection stories of Jesus?
2. What were Muhammed 'Ali al Summan and his brothers digging for when they made the important discovery?
3. What does the idea of the laughing of Jesus during his torture and flogging seem to imply to those who read it?
4. What does Pagels give as an explanation as to why the story of the story of the resurrection seems to be so important to the faithful?
5. What is a possible explanation for the burial of the sacred texts in the jar that Mohammed 'Ali found?
6. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
7. What did the Valentinians come to believe about the idea of God? What was He supposed to be?
8. What did Mohammed and his brothers do to the man who was responsible for killing their father?
9. What are some of the roles that a masculine God might have in the prayers of Christians, Jews, and Muslims?
10. What does Pagels point out as being the key building block of Christianity?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)