|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
(d) Mary Magdalene.
2. The finding of the earthenware jar became known as the Naj or the Nag ________________ find.
3. According to some of the Gnostic gospels, the Creator does not precede mankind at all - there is an immortal __________ that precedes him.
4. Valentinus speaks of a story in which the Feminine Principal, as Wisdom, tries to ____________ by itself, though this does not work.
5. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
(a) Mary Magdalene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once committed to the Mother and Father of the world, the candidate undertook the secret sacrament of apolytrosis, or _________.
2. Tertullian was against the heretics that embraced the followings of Jesus, but who also denied the idea of _______________.
3. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
4. A tradition developed that included the idea that __________ was the first to have seen Jesus after he rose from the dead.
5. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
2. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
3. Describe the idea of the social reality in which those who practice orthodox faith live.
4. What are the two occasions described in the Bible in which the reappearance of Jesus might be called into question?
5. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
6. When Paul is writing in his letters, he refers to something that is 'whether it is in the body or out of the body I do not know.' What is he referring to?
7. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
8. After the death of Judas, the only true candidate for succession was which apostle?
9. What is the idea that Marcion concluded about God since he found a brutal God in the Old Testament and a compassionate God in the New Testament?
10. What is the image that would infuriate the orthodox, the one that is described in Nag Hammadi's Apocalypse of Peter?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)