|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
(a) It might contain gold.
(b) It might have Christian teachings in it.
(c) It might contain a map.
(d) It might be cursed.
2. Another Gnostic text, the Gospel of ____________, highlighted a relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.
3. In the traditional orthodox canon, the spirit or the _____________ is gender neutral, but this is not the case everywhere.
4. There is some speculation that there are actually two ____________ involved in the story of Mary and Jesus.
5. What were Muhammed 'Ali and his brothers digging for?
Short Answer Questions
1. Marcus the ______ received his visions in feminine form and in his Gnostic masses represented her blood as wine.
2. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
3. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
4. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
5. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pagels want to express in terms of relationship to the Gnostic gospels?
2. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
3. When Jesus tells Peter that he will lead her in order to make her male so that she too may become a living spirit, to whom is he referring?
4. What kind of criteria would the Gnostics give as being the true definition of a Christian?
5. What made Christianity an easy reach for the masses, while also consolidating power in the Church?
6. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
7. How did Marcus the Magician relate to the idea of a feminine God or God-figure?
8. What is the image that would infuriate the orthodox, the one that is described in Nag Hammadi's Apocalypse of Peter?
9. When one looks at the gnostic groups, what is the one thing which remains certain, according to the author?
10. After the death of Judas, the only true candidate for succession was which apostle?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)