|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marion concluded that there were ___________ because of the brutal God in the Old Testament and the compassionate God in the New Testament.
(a) Two Bibles.
(b) False texts.
(c) Lies in the Bible.
(d) Two Gods.
2. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
3. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
4. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
5. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
2. "I believe in One God, Father Almighty, _________ of Heaven and Earth" is the Christian creed.
3. In the traditional orthodox canon, the spirit or the _____________ is gender neutral, but this is not the case everywhere.
4. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
5. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the vision that John had, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion in the Apocryphon of John?
2. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
3. What does Pagels want to express in terms of relationship to the Gnostic gospels?
4. What happened when a Roman soldier expressed his contempt for the Jews?
5. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
6. What was the primary goal of the Valentianians in the way they lived and followed their beliefs?
7. Who was the church of the Gnostics confined to, according to this section of the book?
8. Describe the idea of the social reality in which those who practice orthodox faith live.
9. What is the image that would infuriate the orthodox, the one that is described in Nag Hammadi's Apocalypse of Peter?
10. What kind of suffering was focused on in the Gnostic path and the belief system?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)