|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
2. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
3. What were Muhammed 'Ali and his brothers digging for?
4. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
5. The Catholic Church bases its authority on the shoes of the ___________, according to the text in this chapter.
(b) Tax men.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hebrew term for Spirit is _______________, as the author prefers this term from the Secret Book.
2. In Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, North American Indian, and other faiths, the ____________ is a conspicuous component of the faith, sometimes to the exclusion of the masculine.
3. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
4. A tradition developed that included the idea that __________ was the first to have seen Jesus after he rose from the dead.
5. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Christian creed some believe was created in order to exclude Marcion?
2. What did the Roman Empire seem to think of the new following of Jesus and the development of Christianity?
3. What made Christianity an easy reach for the masses, while also consolidating power in the Church?
4. When Jesus tells Peter that he will lead her in order to make her male so that she too may become a living spirit, to whom is he referring?
5. What are some of the roles that a masculine God might have in the prayers of Christians, Jews, and Muslims?
6. What does the idea of the laughing of Jesus during his torture and flogging seem to imply to those who read it?
7. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, so what did they choose to stress in their communities?
8. What is the image that would infuriate the orthodox, the one that is described in Nag Hammadi's Apocalypse of Peter?
9. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
10. What does Jesus tell Thomas when Thomas requests that Jesus give him directions on how to get to the next level?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)