|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
(b) No one.
(c) The Lost.
2. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
3. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
4. In the Testimony of Truth, the text talks of a benign ____________ and a guileful Jehovah.
5. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
(a) Temptation of Christ.
(b) Fall of Eden.
(c) Creation myth.
Short Answer Questions
1. The redefinition of who sees Jesus first is a tradition which first indicated that the direction of the _________ more than the importance of the doctrine.
2. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
3. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
4. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
5. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the conversion of a Christian women mentioned in a letter that Justin sent to Emperor Antonius Pius?
2. What was one of the most important archaeological events that took place in December of 1945?
3. What happened when a Roman soldier expressed his contempt for the Jews?
4. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
5. What is the tradition that developed, though not completely logical and contradicted by two other gospels?
6. What are some of the images of Christ that John and James witness in the Acts of John, discovered before Nag Hammadi?
7. In the Testimony of Truth, what does the Gnostic author offer as components of a holy life?
8. How did Marcus the Magician relate to the idea of a feminine God or God-figure?
9. What made the idea of there only being a strict and narrow path to God so attractive to the orthodox?
10. What were Muhammed 'Ali al Summan and his brothers digging for when they made the important discovery?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)