|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to some of the Gnostic gospels, the Creator does not precede mankind at all - there is an immortal __________ that precedes him.
2. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
(d) Mary Magdalene.
3. In the Testimony of Truth, the text talks of a benign ____________ and a guileful Jehovah.
4. What was the color of the earthenware jar that the Arabs in the area found to contain momentous records of early Christianity?
5. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
(a) Their teachers.
(b) Their men.
(c) Their priests.
(d) Their gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. However, in two other gospels, it is _____________ who sees Jesus after he has risen from the dead.
2. Another Gnostic text, the Gospel of ____________, highlighted a relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.
3. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
4. What were Muhammed 'Ali and his brothers digging for?
5. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Muhammed 'Ali al Summan and his brothers digging for when they made the important discovery?
2. To whom did one's real allegiance belong, according to the ideas of Valentine?
3. When Jesus tells Peter that he will lead her in order to make her male so that she too may become a living spirit, to whom is he referring?
4. In the Testimony of Truth, what does the Gnostic author offer as components of a holy life?
5. What are some of the images of Christ that John and James witness in the Acts of John, discovered before Nag Hammadi?
6. What has created a lot of controversy when it comes to discussions between scholars of biblical texts?
7. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
8. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
9. What do most people agree about in terms of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
10. What was the primary goal of the Valentianians in the way they lived and followed their beliefs?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)