|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the scrolls were taken to the Coptic museum for safekeeping, _______ of the codices were smuggled out of the country.
2. A letter to the Bishop of Rome stated the difference between ________ and priesthood, defining the reality of the Roman church.
(c) Satan worship.
3. Two separate versions of Paul's experience in Damascus have spectators hearing the voice, but only one account includes the _________.
(c) Burning bush.
4. Marion concluded that there were ___________ because of the brutal God in the Old Testament and the compassionate God in the New Testament.
(a) False texts.
(b) Two Bibles.
(c) Two Gods.
(d) Lies in the Bible.
5. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
(c) Mary Magdalene.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many leather bound papyri were in the jar when Muhammed finally broke it open with his knife?
2. Where did members of the Egyptian government eventually spot the papyri that Muhammed had given away?
3. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
4. The finding of the earthenware jar became known as the Naj or the Nag ________________ find.
5. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
2. What are some of the explanations that the Gnostics offered for the resurrection stories of Jesus?
3. How do the Gnostic texts portray the God that is present in the story of Adam and Eve in the tale of creation?
4. What does Valentinus present as a further breakdown of the parts of the Dyad?
5. Why does Pagels state that the retelling of the story of Eden becomes problematic for those who consider themselves to be Christian?
6. What is the tradition that developed, though not completely logical and contradicted by two other gospels?
7. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
8. What does Pagels point out in terms of the orthodox church's agenda in relation to conformity?
9. What are the two occasions described in the Bible in which the reappearance of Jesus might be called into question?
10. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)