|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A tradition developed that included the idea that __________ was the first to have seen Jesus after he rose from the dead.
2. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
3. Valentinus speaks of a story in which the Feminine Principal, as Wisdom, tries to ____________ by itself, though this does not work.
4. There is some speculation that there are actually two ____________ involved in the story of Mary and Jesus.
5. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
(a) It might contain a map.
(b) It might be cursed.
(c) It might have Christian teachings in it.
(d) It might contain gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
2. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
3. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
4. One God, One _________ became the doctrine of the church, according to the text in this chapter.
5. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Paul is writing in his letters, he refers to something that is 'whether it is in the body or out of the body I do not know.' What is he referring to?
2. What are some of the roles that a masculine God might have in the prayers of Christians, Jews, and Muslims?
3. What does Pagels point out in terms of the orthodox church's agenda in relation to conformity?
4. What made Christianity an easy reach for the masses, while also consolidating power in the Church?
5. What is the image that would infuriate the orthodox, the one that is described in Nag Hammadi's Apocalypse of Peter?
6. What does Valentinus present as a further breakdown of the parts of the Dyad?
7. Who was the church of the Gnostics confined to, according to this section of the book?
8. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
9. What does Jesus challenge his apostles to do in order to see that he has indeed resurrected?
10. Why does Pagels state that the retelling of the story of Eden becomes problematic for those who consider themselves to be Christian?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)