|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
(a) Garden of Eden.
2. Marcus offered the cup of wine and says into which ___________ may flow during the masses he gave.
3. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
(b) Funeral procession.
(d) Blood feud.
4. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
(b) Used as kindling.
(d) Given as gifts.
5. It is the mixing of the _________________ with normal humanity that engenders the interpretation of the birth of Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
2. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
3. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
4. What did Muhammed believe might be in the jar that he and his brothers found?
5. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do most people agree about in terms of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
2. What did the Valentinians come to believe about the idea of God? What was He supposed to be?
3. What was the primary goal of the Valentianians in the way they lived and followed their beliefs?
4. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
5. Why were many of the papyri scrolls suddenly found on the black market after their initial discovery?
6. When Jesus tells Peter that he will lead her in order to make her male so that she too may become a living spirit, to whom is he referring?
7. What does Pagels point out as being the key building block of Christianity?
8. Why didn't Mohammed and his brothers want to break open the jar that they found as they were digging?
9. What does Pagels speculate united the Gnostics, as diverse as they were in the world?
10. What does Jesus tell Thomas when Thomas requests that Jesus give him directions on how to get to the next level?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)