|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Valentinus described God as the Father, the Ineffable, the Depth, and the Primal ______________.
2. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
3. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
(b) Goat meat.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) Broiled fish.
4. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
5. In the Testimony of Truth, the text talks of a benign ____________ and a guileful Jehovah.
Short Answer Questions
1. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
2. In Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, North American Indian, and other faiths, the ____________ is a conspicuous component of the faith, sometimes to the exclusion of the masculine.
3. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
4. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
5. Valentine did distinguish between the creator, architect of the World, also known as the ______________, and the actual foundational spirit of the universe.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the explanations that the Gnostics offered for the resurrection stories of Jesus?
2. What does Jesus challenge his apostles to do in order to see that he has indeed resurrected?
3. What are some of the images of Christ that John and James witness in the Acts of John, discovered before Nag Hammadi?
4. Why were many of the papyri scrolls suddenly found on the black market after their initial discovery?
5. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
6. After the death of Judas, the only true candidate for succession was which apostle?
7. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
8. What was the vision that John had, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion in the Apocryphon of John?
9. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
10. What is the Christian creed some believe was created in order to exclude Marcion?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)