|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
2. A Valentinian Exposition speaks of God as a ____________, and no one was before him, according to the text of this chapter.
3. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
(a) Creation myth.
(c) Temptation of Christ.
(d) Fall of Eden.
4. Once committed to the Mother and Father of the world, the candidate undertook the secret sacrament of apolytrosis, or _________.
5. __________ was far more recognized and abundant than previously thought, especially in the years following Jesus' death.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
2. What did Muhammed believe might be in the jar that he and his brothers found?
3. Another Gnostic text, the Gospel of ____________, highlighted a relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.
4. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
5. "I believe in One God, Father Almighty, _________ of Heaven and Earth" is the Christian creed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Muhammed 'Ali al Summan and his brothers digging for when they made the important discovery?
2. Why was the conversion of a Christian women mentioned in a letter that Justin sent to Emperor Antonius Pius?
3. What does the idea of the laughing of Jesus during his torture and flogging seem to imply to those who read it?
4. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
5. What made the idea of there only being a strict and narrow path to God so attractive to the orthodox?
6. What does Jesus tell Thomas when Thomas requests that Jesus give him directions on how to get to the next level?
7. Why were many of the papyri scrolls suddenly found on the black market after their initial discovery?
8. What was the debate the gnostic teachers had about the idea of the Dyad in the relationship of God?
9. What are some of the images of Christ that John and James witness in the Acts of John, discovered before Nag Hammadi?
10. In the Testimony of Truth, what does the Gnostic author offer as components of a holy life?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)