|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Professor Giles Quispel persuade to try to buy the codices in order to study them further?
(a) His father.
(b) British Museum.
(c) Jung Foundation.
(d) Egyptian Museum.
2. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
3. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
(a) Goat meat.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) Broiled fish.
4. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
(a) New leader.
(b) New church.
(c) Middle world.
(d) Third heaven.
5. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Valentinian Exposition speaks of God as a ____________, and no one was before him, according to the text of this chapter.
2. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
3. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
4. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
5. What were Muhammed 'Ali and his brothers digging for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tradition that developed, though not completely logical and contradicted by two other gospels?
2. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
3. What are the two occasions described in the Bible in which the reappearance of Jesus might be called into question?
4. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
5. What happened when a Roman soldier expressed his contempt for the Jews?
6. Why didn't Mohammed and his brothers want to break open the jar that they found as they were digging?
7. What are some of the images of Christ that John and James witness in the Acts of John, discovered before Nag Hammadi?
8. What kind of criteria would the Gnostics give as being the true definition of a Christian?
9. What was the vision that John had, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion in the Apocryphon of John?
10. What is the Christian creed some believe was created in order to exclude Marcion?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)