|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Valentinus described God as the Father, the Ineffable, the Depth, and the Primal ______________.
2. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
(a) Holy Spirit.
3. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
(a) Funeral procession.
(b) Blood feud.
4. However, in two other gospels, it is _____________ who sees Jesus after he has risen from the dead.
5. Gnostic teachers debated whether or not the Dyad was an actual unified __________, with a male/female structure.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gnostic texts call God _________ for punishing Adam and Eve for obtaining spiritual wisdom from a serpent.
2. Marion concluded that there were ___________ because of the brutal God in the Old Testament and the compassionate God in the New Testament.
3. Where did one of the most important archaeological events take place in 1945 according to the book?
4. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
5. The Catholic Church bases its authority on the shoes of the ___________, according to the text in this chapter.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
2. What do most people agree about in terms of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
3. Describe the idea of the social reality in which those who practice orthodox faith live.
4. What did Iranaeus think about the idea of monotheism of the Valentinians and its place in the faith?
5. To whom did one's real allegiance belong, according to the ideas of Valentine?
6. What made Christianity an easy reach for the masses, while also consolidating power in the Church?
7. What did the Roman Empire seem to think of the new following of Jesus and the development of Christianity?
8. What happened when a Roman soldier expressed his contempt for the Jews?
9. What are some of the roles that a masculine God might have in the prayers of Christians, Jews, and Muslims?
10. When one looks at the gnostic groups, what is the one thing which remains certain, according to the author?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)