|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bishop Irenaeus wrote the book "The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-Called _____________."
2. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
(d) An angel.
3. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
4. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
5. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
2. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
3. Valentinus described God as the Father, the Ineffable, the Depth, and the Primal ______________.
4. What was the color of the earthenware jar that the Arabs in the area found to contain momentous records of early Christianity?
5. What kind of teacher was Raghib, the man who told Muhammed that the scrolls might be worth some money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a possible explanation for the burial of the sacred texts in the jar that Mohammed 'Ali found?
2. What are the two occasions described in the Bible in which the reappearance of Jesus might be called into question?
3. What kind of criteria would the Gnostics give as being the true definition of a Christian?
4. How did Marcus the Magician relate to the idea of a feminine God or God-figure?
5. Even during the time of the Reformation, what did the Protestant sects adhere to in terms of a doctrine?
6. Why does Pagels suggest that perhaps there was a social aspect to the way the Church wanted to function?
7. What did the Valentinians come to believe about the idea of God? What was He supposed to be?
8. Why was the conversion of a Christian women mentioned in a letter that Justin sent to Emperor Antonius Pius?
9. What does the idea of the laughing of Jesus during his torture and flogging seem to imply to those who read it?
10. What does Pagels point out in terms of the orthodox church's agenda in relation to conformity?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)