|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marcus offered the cup of wine and says into which ___________ may flow during the masses he gave.
2. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
(a) No one.
(d) The Lost.
3. A Valentinian Exposition speaks of God as a ____________, and no one was before him, according to the text of this chapter.
4. There are some descriptions of the resurrection that could raise some questions about the _____________ of the event.
5. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
(a) Their priests.
(b) Their men.
(c) Their teachers.
(d) Their gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once committed to the Mother and Father of the world, the candidate undertook the secret sacrament of apolytrosis, or _________.
2. __________ was far more recognized and abundant than previously thought, especially in the years following Jesus' death.
3. What did Muhammed believe might be in the jar that he and his brothers found?
4. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
5. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pagels state that the retelling of the story of Eden becomes problematic for those who consider themselves to be Christian?
2. When Paul is writing in his letters, he refers to something that is 'whether it is in the body or out of the body I do not know.' What is he referring to?
3. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
4. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
5. After the death of Judas, the only true candidate for succession was which apostle?
6. What happened when a Roman soldier expressed his contempt for the Jews?
7. How did Marcus the Magician relate to the idea of a feminine God or God-figure?
8. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
9. Why were many of the papyri scrolls suddenly found on the black market after their initial discovery?
10. What does Pagels point out as being the key building block of Christianity?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)