|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
(a) New church.
(b) New leader.
(c) Third heaven.
(d) Middle world.
2. However, in two other gospels, it is _____________ who sees Jesus after he has risen from the dead.
3. In 1896, the amazing manuscript called the Gospel of _________ was found by a German Egyptologist.
4. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
5. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
2. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
3. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
4. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
5. Another Gnostic text, the Gospel of ____________, highlighted a relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the images of Christ that John and James witness in the Acts of John, discovered before Nag Hammadi?
2. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
3. What was one of the most important archaeological events that took place in December of 1945?
4. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
5. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
6. What does the idea of the laughing of Jesus during his torture and flogging seem to imply to those who read it?
7. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
8. What does Pagels point out as being the key building block of Christianity?
9. What was the debate the gnostic teachers had about the idea of the Dyad in the relationship of God?
10. What does Pagels speculate united the Gnostics, as diverse as they were in the world?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)