Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Iranaeus, the monotheism of the Valentianians was a kind of ________, a hoax that would allow them to participate in the orthodox church.
2. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
3. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
(a) Their gods.
(b) Their teachers.
(c) Their men.
(d) Their priests.
4. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
5. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gospel of the Egyptians from the Gnostic texts highlights the Great, Invisible ___________ in its lines.
2. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
3. In 1896, the amazing manuscript called the Gospel of _________ was found by a German Egyptologist.
4. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
5. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three Gnostic interpretations of the divine that Pagels speaks of in this section of the book?
2. What do most people agree about in terms of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
3. What happened when a Roman soldier expressed his contempt for the Jews?
4. To whom did one's real allegiance belong, according to the ideas of Valentine?
5. What did Iranaeus think about the idea of monotheism of the Valentinians and its place in the faith?
6. What did Tertullian find so horrible about those who claimed the secret gnosis?
7. What did Hippolytus, great enemy of the agnostics, accuse Callistus of?
8. What was the debate the gnostic teachers had about the idea of the Dyad in the relationship of God?
9. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
10. What are some of the roles that a masculine God might have in the prayers of Christians, Jews, and Muslims?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)