|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
(d) An angel.
2. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
3. The Gnostic texts call God _________ for punishing Adam and Eve for obtaining spiritual wisdom from a serpent.
4. In a newly discovered Nag Hammadi text, it says, "I am __________. I am both Mother and Father since I copulate with myself. I am the Womb, the All."
(a) The Mover.
(b) The Creation.
(c) The Creator.
5. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Valentinian Exposition speaks of God as a ____________, and no one was before him, according to the text of this chapter.
2. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
3. There are some descriptions of the resurrection that could raise some questions about the _____________ of the event.
4. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
5. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Christian creed some believe was created in order to exclude Marcion?
2. What is the tradition that developed, though not completely logical and contradicted by two other gospels?
3. What does Pagels want to express in terms of relationship to the Gnostic gospels?
4. What happened when a Roman soldier expressed his contempt for the Jews?
5. In the Testimony of Truth, what does the Gnostic author offer as components of a holy life?
6. What does Pagels speculate united the Gnostics, as diverse as they were in the world?
7. What is the idea that Marcion concluded about God since he found a brutal God in the Old Testament and a compassionate God in the New Testament?
8. Even during the time of the Reformation, what did the Protestant sects adhere to in terms of a doctrine?
9. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
10. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, so what did they choose to stress in their communities?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)