|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
2. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
3. To whom did Muhammed give some of the papyri since he felt that he needed to get rid of them before the police found them?
(a) His cousin.
(b) A leper.
(c) The King.
(d) The priest.
4. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
5. Who did Professor Giles Quispel persuade to try to buy the codices in order to study them further?
(a) His father.
(b) Egyptian Museum.
(c) British Museum.
(d) Jung Foundation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
2. Tertullian noted the way that _______ were so eagerly accepted in all facets of church society with great horror.
3. Marcus offered the cup of wine and says into which ___________ may flow during the masses he gave.
4. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
5. Two separate versions of Paul's experience in Damascus have spectators hearing the voice, but only one account includes the _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Gnostics attacked by, as revealed in the Second Treatise of the Great Seth?
2. Even during the time of the Reformation, what did the Protestant sects adhere to in terms of a doctrine?
3. What does Pagels want to express in terms of relationship to the Gnostic gospels?
4. To whom did one's real allegiance belong, according to the ideas of Valentine?
5. What is the idea that Marcion concluded about God since he found a brutal God in the Old Testament and a compassionate God in the New Testament?
6. Why didn't Mohammed and his brothers want to break open the jar that they found as they were digging?
7. What does Pagels point out in terms of the orthodox church's agenda in relation to conformity?
8. What were Muhammed 'Ali al Summan and his brothers digging for when they made the important discovery?
9. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, so what did they choose to stress in their communities?
10. What is the Christian creed some believe was created in order to exclude Marcion?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)