|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
(b) Life and death.
2. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
(b) Given as gifts.
(d) Used as kindling.
3. Where did members of the Egyptian government eventually spot the papyri that Muhammed had given away?
(a) The library.
(b) Black market.
(d) Coptic museum.
4. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
(b) Temptation of Christ.
(c) Fall of Eden.
(d) Creation myth.
5. In Christianity, Judaism and in Islam, God is the king, lord, master, judge, and ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
2. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
3. The redefinition of who sees Jesus first is a tradition which first indicated that the direction of the _________ more than the importance of the doctrine.
4. It is the mixing of the _________________ with normal humanity that engenders the interpretation of the birth of Jesus.
5. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Mohammed and his brothers want to break open the jar that they found as they were digging?
2. What does Pagels give as an explanation as to why the story of the story of the resurrection seems to be so important to the faithful?
3. What did a letter attributed to the Bishop of Rome around 90 to 100 AD create in official language for the first time?
4. When Paul is writing in his letters, he refers to something that is 'whether it is in the body or out of the body I do not know.' What is he referring to?
5. In the trinity of Christianity, only one of the three principals is genderless, which one?
6. Why did the orthodox preserve Christianity, according to the logic of Pagels?
7. What kind of suffering was focused on in the Gnostic path and the belief system?
8. What is the idea that Marcion concluded about God since he found a brutal God in the Old Testament and a compassionate God in the New Testament?
9. What did Mohammed and his brothers do to the man who was responsible for killing their father?
10. What did Professional Giles Quispel find so startling about the Coptic Museum's codices when he read them?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)