|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
2. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
3. The language in many texts respects the idea of the female, though not in pagan terms, rather in presenting God as a Mother/Father ______.
4. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
5. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
6. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
7. What did Muhammed believe might be in the jar that he and his brothers found?
8. The Gnostic texts call God _________ for punishing Adam and Eve for obtaining spiritual wisdom from a serpent.
9. Once committed to the Mother and Father of the world, the candidate undertook the secret sacrament of apolytrosis, or _________.
10. According to some of the Gnostic gospels, the Creator does not precede mankind at all - there is an immortal __________ that precedes him.
11. The redefinition of who sees Jesus first is a tradition which first indicated that the direction of the _________ more than the importance of the doctrine.
12. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
(b) Used as kindling.
(c) Given as gifts.
13. Where did one of the most important archaeological events take place in 1945 according to the book?
(a) Lower Egypt.
(b) Middle East.
(c) Upper Egypt.
14. A letter to the Bishop of Rome stated the difference between ________ and priesthood, defining the reality of the Roman church.
(b) Satan worship.
15. Marion concluded that there were ___________ because of the brutal God in the Old Testament and the compassionate God in the New Testament.
(a) False texts.
(b) Two Bibles.
(c) Two Gods.
(d) Lies in the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Professor Giles Quispel persuade to try to buy the codices in order to study them further?
2. In the Testimony of Truth, the text talks of a benign ____________ and a guileful Jehovah.
3. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
4. Gnostic teachers debated whether or not the Dyad was an actual unified __________, with a male/female structure.
5. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)