|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
2. The Catholic Church bases its authority on the shoes of the ___________, according to the text in this chapter.
(d) Tax men.
3. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
(d) Holy Spirit.
4. What was the color of the earthenware jar that the Arabs in the area found to contain momentous records of early Christianity?
5. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
6. What did Muhammed not want to do when he first found the jar during the dig with his brothers?
(a) Break it.
(b) Touch it.
(c) Give it away.
(d) Sell it.
7. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
(a) New leader.
(b) Third heaven.
(c) Middle world.
(d) New church.
8. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
(a) Their own blood.
(b) The royal pig.
(c) The killer's heart.
(d) A cow.
9. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Church.
(c) The Gnostics.
(d) The Jews.
10. The redefinition of who sees Jesus first is a tradition which first indicated that the direction of the _________ more than the importance of the doctrine.
11. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
(a) Goat meat.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(d) Broiled fish.
12. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
13. In the Testimony of Truth, the text talks of a benign ____________ and a guileful Jehovah.
14. According to some of the Gnostic gospels, the Creator does not precede mankind at all - there is an immortal __________ that precedes him.
15. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
2. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
3. What were Muhammed 'Ali and his brothers digging for?
4. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
5. How many leather bound papyri were in the jar when Muhammed finally broke it open with his knife?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)