|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
2. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
3. In a newly discovered Nag Hammadi text, it says, "I am __________. I am both Mother and Father since I copulate with myself. I am the Womb, the All."
(a) The Mover.
(b) The Creation.
(d) The Creator.
4. Sophia further assists Adam and Eve when she saves their descendants during the time of ____________.
(a) Noah's ark.
(b) The crucifixion.
(c) The Black Plague.
5. Where did one of the most important archaeological events take place in 1945 according to the book?
(a) Lower Egypt.
(b) Middle East.
(d) Upper Egypt.
6. The redefinition of who sees Jesus first is a tradition which first indicated that the direction of the _________ more than the importance of the doctrine.
7. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
8. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
9. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
10. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
(a) Used as kindling.
(d) Given as gifts.
11. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
(a) It might have Christian teachings in it.
(b) It might be cursed.
(c) It might contain gold.
(d) It might contain a map.
12. To whom did Muhammed give some of the papyri since he felt that he needed to get rid of them before the police found them?
(a) The King.
(b) His cousin.
(c) A leper.
(d) The priest.
13. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
14. Tertullian noted the way that _______ were so eagerly accepted in all facets of church society with great horror.
15. Gnostic teachers debated whether or not the Dyad was an actual unified __________, with a male/female structure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once committed to the Mother and Father of the world, the candidate undertook the secret sacrament of apolytrosis, or _________.
2. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
3. In the Apocryphon of John, the ____________ was the Holy Spirit as a part of the Holy Trinity.
4. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
5. What did Muhammed not want to do when he first found the jar during the dig with his brothers?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)