|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
(d) An angel.
2. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
(a) It might contain a map.
(b) It might contain gold.
(c) It might be cursed.
(d) It might have Christian teachings in it.
3. Tertullian noted the way that _______ were so eagerly accepted in all facets of church society with great horror.
4. In Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, North American Indian, and other faiths, the ____________ is a conspicuous component of the faith, sometimes to the exclusion of the masculine.
(c) Genderless one.
5. "I believe in One God, Father Almighty, _________ of Heaven and Earth" is the Christian creed.
6. There is some speculation that there are actually two ____________ involved in the story of Mary and Jesus.
7. A tradition developed that included the idea that __________ was the first to have seen Jesus after he rose from the dead.
8. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
(a) The Lost.
(c) No one.
9. In the Apocryphon of John, the ____________ was the Holy Spirit as a part of the Holy Trinity.
10. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
11. In 1896, the amazing manuscript called the Gospel of _________ was found by a German Egyptologist.
12. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
13. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
(a) Mary Magdalene.
14. The ___________, often called the Watchword of the Jewish faith, proclaims, "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One."
15. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
2. It is the mixing of the _________________ with normal humanity that engenders the interpretation of the birth of Jesus.
3. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
4. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
5. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)