|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
2. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
3. Bishop Irenaeus wrote the book "The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-Called _____________."
4. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
5. According to some of the Gnostic gospels, the Creator does not precede mankind at all - there is an immortal __________ that precedes him.
6. Where did one of the most important archaeological events take place in 1945 according to the book?
(a) Middle East.
(c) Lower Egypt.
(d) Upper Egypt.
7. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
(a) Third heaven.
(b) New leader.
(c) New church.
(d) Middle world.
8. What were Muhammed 'Ali and his brothers digging for?
9. In Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, North American Indian, and other faiths, the ____________ is a conspicuous component of the faith, sometimes to the exclusion of the masculine.
(b) Genderless one.
10. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
11. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
(a) Goat meat.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) Broiled fish.
12. Tertullian noted the way that _______ were so eagerly accepted in all facets of church society with great horror.
13. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
14. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
15. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
(a) Touch him.
(b) Tell anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is some speculation that there are actually two ____________ involved in the story of Mary and Jesus.
2. Valentine did distinguish between the creator, architect of the World, also known as the ______________, and the actual foundational spirit of the universe.
3. What kind of teacher was Raghib, the man who told Muhammed that the scrolls might be worth some money?
4. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
5. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)