|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
2. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
(a) Funeral procession.
(b) Blood feud.
3. The Gospel of the Egyptians from the Gnostic texts highlights the Great, Invisible ___________ in its lines.
4. The language in many texts respects the idea of the female, though not in pagan terms, rather in presenting God as a Mother/Father ______.
5. In a newly discovered Nag Hammadi text, it says, "I am __________. I am both Mother and Father since I copulate with myself. I am the Womb, the All."
(a) The Creation.
(c) The Creator.
(d) The Mover.
6. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
7. Two separate versions of Paul's experience in Damascus have spectators hearing the voice, but only one account includes the _________.
(a) Burning bush.
8. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
(a) Middle world.
(b) New church.
(c) New leader.
(d) Third heaven.
9. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
10. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
(b) The Apostles.
11. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
12. In the Testimony of Truth, the text talks of a benign ____________ and a guileful Jehovah.
13. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
14. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
(a) It might contain a map.
(b) It might be cursed.
(c) It might have Christian teachings in it.
(d) It might contain gold.
15. The Hebrew term for Spirit is _______________, as the author prefers this term from the Secret Book.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
2. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
3. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
4. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
5. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)