|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
(a) It might contain gold.
(b) It might contain a map.
(c) It might have Christian teachings in it.
(d) It might be cursed.
2. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
3. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
(a) New church.
(b) New leader.
(c) Middle world.
(d) Third heaven.
4. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
5. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
(c) An angel.
6. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
7. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
8. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
9. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
(a) Temptation of Christ.
(c) Creation myth.
(d) Fall of Eden.
10. According to some of the Gnostic gospels, the Creator does not precede mankind at all - there is an immortal __________ that precedes him.
11. The Hebrew term for Spirit is _______________, as the author prefers this term from the Secret Book.
12. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
13. While the scrolls were taken to the Coptic museum for safekeeping, _______ of the codices were smuggled out of the country.
14. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
(a) Broiled fish.
(c) Goat meat.
(d) A loaf of bread.
15. Bishop Irenaeus wrote the book "The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-Called _____________."
Short Answer Questions
1. There are some descriptions of the resurrection that could raise some questions about the _____________ of the event.
2. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
3. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
4. Tertullian noted the way that _______ were so eagerly accepted in all facets of church society with great horror.
5. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)