|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
2. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
3. To Iranaeus, the monotheism of the Valentianians was a kind of ________, a hoax that would allow them to participate in the orthodox church.
4. Bishop Irenaeus wrote the book "The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-Called _____________."
5. Valentinus described God as the Father, the Ineffable, the Depth, and the Primal ______________.
6. There is some speculation that the use of ________ was used in order to indicate that God was both Male and Female.
7. In the traditional orthodox canon, the spirit or the _____________ is gender neutral, but this is not the case everywhere.
8. The difference between Plato's doctrine of the soul's ______________ and the resurrection was that resurrection was real flesh reborn.
9. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
10. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
11. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
(c) Life and death.
12. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
13. Where did members of the Egyptian government eventually spot the papyri that Muhammed had given away?
(a) The library.
(c) Coptic museum.
(d) Black market.
14. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
(b) Holy Spirit.
15. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
(b) Blood feud.
(d) Funeral procession.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
2. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
3. A tradition developed that included the idea that __________ was the first to have seen Jesus after he rose from the dead.
4. What were Muhammed 'Ali and his brothers digging for?
5. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)