|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A tradition developed that included the idea that __________ was the first to have seen Jesus after he rose from the dead.
2. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
3. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
4. Bishop Irenaeus wrote the book "The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-Called _____________."
5. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
(d) The Apostles.
6. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
(b) Fall of Eden.
(c) Temptation of Christ.
(d) Creation myth.
7. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
(a) Life and death.
8. A letter to the Bishop of Rome stated the difference between ________ and priesthood, defining the reality of the Roman church.
(b) Satan worship.
9. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
10. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
11. Sophia further assists Adam and Eve when she saves their descendants during the time of ____________.
(a) The Black Plague.
(c) Noah's ark.
(d) The crucifixion.
12. What did Muhammed believe might be in the jar that he and his brothers found?
13. Who did Professor Giles Quispel persuade to try to buy the codices in order to study them further?
(a) Jung Foundation.
(b) British Museum.
(c) Egyptian Museum.
(d) His father.
14. The language in many texts respects the idea of the female, though not in pagan terms, rather in presenting God as a Mother/Father ______.
15. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marcus offered the cup of wine and says into which ___________ may flow during the masses he gave.
2. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
3. The Gospel of the Egyptians from the Gnostic texts highlights the Great, Invisible ___________ in its lines.
4. Where did one of the most important archaeological events take place in 1945 according to the book?
5. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)