|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
(a) New leader.
(b) Middle world.
(c) New church.
(d) Third heaven.
2. However, in two other gospels, it is _____________ who sees Jesus after he has risen from the dead.
3. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
(a) Mary Magdalene.
4. In a newly discovered Nag Hammadi text, it says, "I am __________. I am both Mother and Father since I copulate with myself. I am the Womb, the All."
(a) The Creator.
(b) The Mover.
(c) The Creation.
5. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
6. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
7. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
(b) The Lost.
(c) No one.
8. "I believe in One God, Father Almighty, _________ of Heaven and Earth" is the Christian creed.
9. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
10. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
(c) Funeral procession.
(d) Blood feud.
11. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
12. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
13. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
(a) It might contain gold.
(b) It might have Christian teachings in it.
(c) It might contain a map.
(d) It might be cursed.
14. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) Goat meat.
(d) Broiled fish.
15. Marion concluded that there were ___________ because of the brutal God in the Old Testament and the compassionate God in the New Testament.
(a) False texts.
(b) Two Bibles.
(c) Two Gods.
(d) Lies in the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
2. Once committed to the Mother and Father of the world, the candidate undertook the secret sacrament of apolytrosis, or _________.
3. Where did members of the Egyptian government eventually spot the papyri that Muhammed had given away?
4. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
5. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)