|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
2. What did Muhammed not want to do when he first found the jar during the dig with his brothers?
(a) Give it away.
(b) Break it.
(c) Touch it.
(d) Sell it.
3. "I believe in One God, Father Almighty, _________ of Heaven and Earth" is the Christian creed.
4. There is some speculation that there are actually two ____________ involved in the story of Mary and Jesus.
5. Bishop Irenaeus wrote the book "The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-Called _____________."
6. To whom did Muhammed give some of the papyri since he felt that he needed to get rid of them before the police found them?
(a) A leper.
(b) His cousin.
(c) The King.
(d) The priest.
7. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
(a) A cow.
(b) The royal pig.
(c) The killer's heart.
(d) Their own blood.
8. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
9. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
(a) New leader.
(b) Middle world.
(c) New church.
(d) Third heaven.
10. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
11. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
(b) An angel.
12. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
(d) Life and death.
13. One God, One _________ became the doctrine of the church, according to the text in this chapter.
14. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
(a) It might contain a map.
(b) It might be cursed.
(c) It might contain gold.
(d) It might have Christian teachings in it.
15. Where did one of the most important archaeological events take place in 1945 according to the book?
(a) Upper Egypt.
(b) Middle East.
(d) Lower Egypt.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
2. There is some speculation that the use of ________ was used in order to indicate that God was both Male and Female.
3. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
4. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
5. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)