|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
2. There is some speculation that there are actually two ____________ involved in the story of Mary and Jesus.
3. How many leather bound papyri were in the jar when Muhammed finally broke it open with his knife?
4. The Gnostic texts call God _________ for punishing Adam and Eve for obtaining spiritual wisdom from a serpent.
5. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
6. The Catholic Church bases its authority on the shoes of the ___________, according to the text in this chapter.
(c) Tax men.
7. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) Goat meat.
(c) Broiled fish.
8. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
(a) It might be cursed.
(b) It might have Christian teachings in it.
(c) It might contain a map.
(d) It might contain gold.
9. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
10. "I believe in One God, Father Almighty, _________ of Heaven and Earth" is the Christian creed.
11. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
12. Another Gnostic text, the Gospel of ____________, highlighted a relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.
13. There is some speculation that the use of ________ was used in order to indicate that God was both Male and Female.
14. One God, One _________ became the doctrine of the church, according to the text in this chapter.
15. To Iranaeus, the monotheism of the Valentianians was a kind of ________, a hoax that would allow them to participate in the orthodox church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
2. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
3. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
4. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
5. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)