|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
2. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
3. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
4. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
5. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
(a) Their gods.
(b) Their teachers.
(c) Their men.
(d) Their priests.
6. What did Muhammed not want to do when he first found the jar during the dig with his brothers?
(a) Sell it.
(b) Give it away.
(c) Touch it.
(d) Break it.
7. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
(a) The Apostles.
8. Sophia further assists Adam and Eve when she saves their descendants during the time of ____________.
(b) The crucifixion.
(c) The Black Plague.
(d) Noah's ark.
9. Another Gnostic text, the Gospel of ____________, highlighted a relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.
10. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
(a) Tell anyone.
(c) Touch him.
11. Where did members of the Egyptian government eventually spot the papyri that Muhammed had given away?
(a) Black market.
(b) The library.
(d) Coptic museum.
12. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
13. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
(a) Goat meat.
(c) Broiled fish.
(d) A loaf of bread.
14. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
15. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
(b) Garden of Eden.
Short Answer Questions
1. The finding of the earthenware jar became known as the Naj or the Nag ________________ find.
2. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
3. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
4. Marcus the ______ received his visions in feminine form and in his Gnostic masses represented her blood as wine.
5. A tradition developed that included the idea that __________ was the first to have seen Jesus after he rose from the dead.
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)