|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the color of the earthenware jar that the Arabs in the area found to contain momentous records of early Christianity?
2. Gnostic teachers debated whether or not the Dyad was an actual unified __________, with a male/female structure.
3. There is some speculation that the use of ________ was used in order to indicate that God was both Male and Female.
4. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
5. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
6. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
7. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(c) Broiled fish.
(d) Goat meat.
8. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
9. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
10. What were Muhammed 'Ali and his brothers digging for?
11. Where did members of the Egyptian government eventually spot the papyri that Muhammed had given away?
(a) The library.
(b) Coptic museum.
(c) Black market.
12. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
13. In the Testimony of Truth, the text talks of a benign ____________ and a guileful Jehovah.
14. Two separate versions of Paul's experience in Damascus have spectators hearing the voice, but only one account includes the _________.
(d) Burning bush.
15. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
2. The difference between Plato's doctrine of the soul's ______________ and the resurrection was that resurrection was real flesh reborn.
3. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
4. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
5. As a result of Marcion's thoughts about the Bible, Iranaeus accused Marcion of _____________.
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)