|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
(a) An angel.
2. How many leather bound papyri were in the jar when Muhammed finally broke it open with his knife?
3. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
(a) Life and death.
4. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
(a) New church.
(b) Third heaven.
(c) Middle world.
(d) New leader.
5. Two separate versions of Paul's experience in Damascus have spectators hearing the voice, but only one account includes the _________.
(c) Burning bush.
6. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
(d) The Apostles.
7. Where did members of the Egyptian government eventually spot the papyri that Muhammed had given away?
(a) Black market.
(c) The library.
(d) Coptic museum.
8. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
9. What did Muhammed not want to do when he first found the jar during the dig with his brothers?
(a) Sell it.
(b) Give it away.
(c) Break it.
(d) Touch it.
10. Where did one of the most important archaeological events take place in 1945 according to the book?
(a) Upper Egypt.
(b) Middle East.
(d) Lower Egypt.
11. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
12. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
(b) Garden of Eden.
13. Marcus offered the cup of wine and says into which ___________ may flow during the masses he gave.
14. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
15. The Catholic Church bases its authority on the shoes of the ___________, according to the text in this chapter.
(a) Tax men.
Short Answer Questions
1. However, in two other gospels, it is _____________ who sees Jesus after he has risen from the dead.
2. The language in many texts respects the idea of the female, though not in pagan terms, rather in presenting God as a Mother/Father ______.
3. "I believe in One God, Father Almighty, _________ of Heaven and Earth" is the Christian creed.
4. Bishop Irenaeus wrote the book "The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-Called _____________."
5. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)