|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The redefinition of who sees Jesus first is a tradition which first indicated that the direction of the _________ more than the importance of the doctrine.
2. Tertullian noted the way that _______ were so eagerly accepted in all facets of church society with great horror.
3. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
4. There is some speculation that there are actually two ____________ involved in the story of Mary and Jesus.
5. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
(b) Mary Magdalene.
6. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
7. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
8. __________ was far more recognized and abundant than previously thought, especially in the years following Jesus' death.
9. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
(a) Touch him.
(d) Tell anyone.
10. A Valentinian Exposition speaks of God as a ____________, and no one was before him, according to the text of this chapter.
11. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
(a) Goat meat.
(b) Broiled fish.
(c) A loaf of bread.
12. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
13. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
14. The finding of the earthenware jar became known as the Naj or the Nag ________________ find.
15. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
(a) Temptation of Christ.
(b) Creation myth.
(d) Fall of Eden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tertullian was against the heretics that embraced the followings of Jesus, but who also denied the idea of _______________.
2. The Catholic Church bases its authority on the shoes of the ___________, according to the text in this chapter.
3. While the scrolls were taken to the Coptic museum for safekeeping, _______ of the codices were smuggled out of the country.
4. There are some descriptions of the resurrection that could raise some questions about the _____________ of the event.
5. In a newly discovered Nag Hammadi text, it says, "I am __________. I am both Mother and Father since I copulate with myself. I am the Womb, the All."
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)