|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Professor Giles Quispel persuade to try to buy the codices in order to study them further?
(a) Egyptian Museum.
(b) British Museum.
(c) Jung Foundation.
(d) His father.
2. What kind of teacher was Raghib, the man who told Muhammed that the scrolls might be worth some money?
3. There are some descriptions of the resurrection that could raise some questions about the _____________ of the event.
4. A letter to the Bishop of Rome stated the difference between ________ and priesthood, defining the reality of the Roman church.
(c) Satan worship.
5. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
6. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
(d) Mary Magdalene.
7. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
8. In a newly discovered Nag Hammadi text, it says, "I am __________. I am both Mother and Father since I copulate with myself. I am the Womb, the All."
(a) The Creator.
(c) The Creation.
(d) The Mover.
9. The ___________, often called the Watchword of the Jewish faith, proclaims, "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One."
10. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
11. A Valentinian Exposition speaks of God as a ____________, and no one was before him, according to the text of this chapter.
12. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
13. The Gospel of the Egyptians from the Gnostic texts highlights the Great, Invisible ___________ in its lines.
14. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
(a) No one.
(b) The Lost.
15. There is some speculation that the use of ________ was used in order to indicate that God was both Male and Female.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gnostic texts call God _________ for punishing Adam and Eve for obtaining spiritual wisdom from a serpent.
2. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
3. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
4. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
5. To whom did Muhammed give some of the papyri since he felt that he needed to get rid of them before the police found them?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)