Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Iranaeus, the monotheism of the Valentianians was a kind of ________, a hoax that would allow them to participate in the orthodox church.
2. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
3. The Romans believed in divine authority for __________, which eventually led to Inanaeus' death sentence for treason.
(a) Their gods.
(b) Their teachers.
(c) Their men.
(d) Their priests.
4. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
5. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
6. The Gospel of the Egyptians from the Gnostic texts highlights the Great, Invisible ___________ in its lines.
7. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
8. In 1896, the amazing manuscript called the Gospel of _________ was found by a German Egyptologist.
9. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
10. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
11. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
(d) Holy Spirit.
12. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
(d) Garden of Eden.
13. There are some descriptions of the resurrection that could raise some questions about the _____________ of the event.
14. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
15. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
2. Another Gnostic text, the Gospel of ____________, highlighted a relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.
3. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
4. Marcus offered the cup of wine and says into which ___________ may flow during the masses he gave.
5. What did Muhammed not want to do when he first found the jar during the dig with his brothers?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)