|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The finding of the earthenware jar became known as the Naj or the Nag ________________ find.
2. In the Testimony of Truth, the text talks of a benign ____________ and a guileful Jehovah.
3. Tertullian was against the heretics that embraced the followings of Jesus, but who also denied the idea of _______________.
(a) The Holy Trinity.
(b) The Apocalypse.
(c) The resurrection.
(d) The Garden of Eden.
4. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
5. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
6. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
7. What kind of teacher was Raghib, the man who told Muhammed that the scrolls might be worth some money?
8. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
(a) Touch him.
(b) Tell anyone.
9. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
(a) Used as kindling.
(b) Given as gifts.
10. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
11. The Catholic Church bases its authority on the shoes of the ___________, according to the text in this chapter.
(b) Tax men.
12. However, in two other gospels, it is _____________ who sees Jesus after he has risen from the dead.
13. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
14. In a newly discovered Nag Hammadi text, it says, "I am __________. I am both Mother and Father since I copulate with myself. I am the Womb, the All."
(a) The Creation.
(b) The Mover.
(d) The Creator.
15. Valentine did distinguish between the creator, architect of the World, also known as the ______________, and the actual foundational spirit of the universe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1896, the amazing manuscript called the Gospel of _________ was found by a German Egyptologist.
2. To whom did Muhammed give some of the papyri since he felt that he needed to get rid of them before the police found them?
3. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
4. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
5. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)