|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the scrolls were taken to the Coptic museum for safekeeping, _______ of the codices were smuggled out of the country.
2. Tertullian was against the heretics that embraced the followings of Jesus, but who also denied the idea of _______________.
(a) The Holy Trinity.
(b) The Apocalypse.
(c) The resurrection.
(d) The Garden of Eden.
3. Two separate versions of Paul's experience in Damascus have spectators hearing the voice, but only one account includes the _________.
(c) Burning bush.
4. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
5. Where did one of the most important archaeological events take place in 1945 according to the book?
(b) Middle East.
(c) Lower Egypt.
(d) Upper Egypt.
6. According to some of the Gnostic gospels, the Creator does not precede mankind at all - there is an immortal __________ that precedes him.
7. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
(a) No one.
(d) The Lost.
8. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
9. Tertullian noted the way that _______ were so eagerly accepted in all facets of church society with great horror.
10. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
(c) Life and death.
11. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
(b) Holy Spirit.
12. What did Muhammed not want to do when he first found the jar during the dig with his brothers?
(a) Sell it.
(b) Break it.
(c) Give it away.
(d) Touch it.
13. Sophia further assists Adam and Eve when she saves their descendants during the time of ____________.
(b) The crucifixion.
(c) Noah's ark.
(d) The Black Plague.
14. How many leather bound papyri were in the jar when Muhammed finally broke it open with his knife?
15. The Gnostic texts call God _________ for punishing Adam and Eve for obtaining spiritual wisdom from a serpent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
2. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
3. "I believe in One God, Father Almighty, _________ of Heaven and Earth" is the Christian creed.
4. What does Jesus eat before the eyes of his disciples after he has risen from the death, according to some accounts?
5. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)