|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
(c) The Apostles.
2. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
3. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
(c) Holy Spirit.
4. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
5. What did Muhammed believe might be in the jar that he and his brothers found?
6. Tertullian noted the way that _______ were so eagerly accepted in all facets of church society with great horror.
7. It is the mixing of the _________________ with normal humanity that engenders the interpretation of the birth of Jesus.
8. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
9. The Hebrew term for Spirit is _______________, as the author prefers this term from the Secret Book.
10. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
(a) Their own blood.
(b) The royal pig.
(c) The killer's heart.
(d) A cow.
11. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
(b) Creation myth.
(c) Fall of Eden.
(d) Temptation of Christ.
12. The language in many texts respects the idea of the female, though not in pagan terms, rather in presenting God as a Mother/Father ______.
13. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
14. Valentine did distinguish between the creator, architect of the World, also known as the ______________, and the actual foundational spirit of the universe.
15. In Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, North American Indian, and other faiths, the ____________ is a conspicuous component of the faith, sometimes to the exclusion of the masculine.
(b) Genderless one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
2. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
3. The Gospel of the Egyptians from the Gnostic texts highlights the Great, Invisible ___________ in its lines.
4. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
5. A Valentinian Exposition speaks of God as a ____________, and no one was before him, according to the text of this chapter.
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)