|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
2. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
3. How many leather bound papyri were in the jar when Muhammed finally broke it open with his knife?
4. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
(d) The Apostles.
5. Valentine did distinguish between the creator, architect of the World, also known as the ______________, and the actual foundational spirit of the universe.
6. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
(a) Their own blood.
(b) A cow.
(c) The royal pig.
(d) The killer's heart.
7. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
8. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
(a) Third heaven.
(b) New leader.
(c) Middle world.
(d) New church.
9. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
(d) Holy Spirit.
10. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
11. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
12. While the scrolls were taken to the Coptic museum for safekeeping, _______ of the codices were smuggled out of the country.
13. A Valentinian Exposition speaks of God as a ____________, and no one was before him, according to the text of this chapter.
14. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
15. In Christianity, Judaism and in Islam, God is the king, lord, master, judge, and ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
2. One God, One _________ became the doctrine of the church, according to the text in this chapter.
3. To Iranaeus, the monotheism of the Valentianians was a kind of ________, a hoax that would allow them to participate in the orthodox church.
4. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
5. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)