|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the color of the earthenware jar that the Arabs in the area found to contain momentous records of early Christianity?
2. Another Gnostic text, the Gospel of ____________, highlighted a relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.
3. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
(a) Life and death.
4. "I believe in One God, Father Almighty, _________ of Heaven and Earth" is the Christian creed.
5. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
6. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
(b) The Apostles.
7. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
(b) An angel.
8. In a newly discovered Nag Hammadi text, it says, "I am __________. I am both Mother and Father since I copulate with myself. I am the Womb, the All."
(b) The Creator.
(c) The Mover.
(d) The Creation.
9. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
10. John, emotionally distraught over the crucifixion, announces the Trinity as the Father, Mother and __________.
11. Sophia further assists Adam and Eve when she saves their descendants during the time of ____________.
(b) The crucifixion.
(c) Noah's ark.
(d) The Black Plague.
12. One God, One _________ became the doctrine of the church, according to the text in this chapter.
13. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
(a) Blood feud.
(b) Funeral procession.
14. A tradition developed that included the idea that __________ was the first to have seen Jesus after he rose from the dead.
15. The redefinition of who sees Jesus first is a tradition which first indicated that the direction of the _________ more than the importance of the doctrine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
2. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
3. There are some descriptions of the resurrection that could raise some questions about the _____________ of the event.
4. In 1896, the amazing manuscript called the Gospel of _________ was found by a German Egyptologist.
5. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)