|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
2. A letter to the Bishop of Rome stated the difference between ________ and priesthood, defining the reality of the Roman church.
(d) Satan worship.
3. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
(b) The Apostles.
4. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
5. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
6. The redefinition of who sees Jesus first is a tradition which first indicated that the direction of the _________ more than the importance of the doctrine.
7. Two separate versions of Paul's experience in Damascus have spectators hearing the voice, but only one account includes the _________.
(d) Burning bush.
8. Marcus the ______ received his visions in feminine form and in his Gnostic masses represented her blood as wine.
9. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
(c) Garden of Eden.
10. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
(a) The Lost.
(b) No one.
11. The Catholic Church bases its authority on the shoes of the ___________, according to the text in this chapter.
(c) Tax men.
12. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
(d) Holy Spirit.
13. What did the brothers devour as a part of their avenging of the death of their father by a murderer?
(a) The royal pig.
(b) Their own blood.
(c) A cow.
(d) The killer's heart.
14. Theologians from many Western religions do contend that God is beyond ____________, according to Pagels.
15. __________ was far more recognized and abundant than previously thought, especially in the years following Jesus' death.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
2. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
3. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
4. Marcus offered the cup of wine and says into which ___________ may flow during the masses he gave.
5. In 1896, the amazing manuscript called the Gospel of _________ was found by a German Egyptologist.
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)