|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Conclusion.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
2. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
3. One God, One _________ became the doctrine of the church, according to the text in this chapter.
4. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
(a) The Church.
(b) The Gnostics.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Jews.
5. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
Short Answer Questions
1. It is the mixing of the _________________ with normal humanity that engenders the interpretation of the birth of Jesus.
2. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
3. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
4. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
5. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)