|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
(b) Creation myth.
(c) Fall of Eden.
(d) Temptation of Christ.
2. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
3. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
4. Phillip in his gospel laughs at the _________________ as a test of spiritual sufficiency, as people receive nothing from this.
(a) Baptism by water.
5. Valentinus described God as the Father, the Ineffable, the Depth, and the Primal ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hebrew term for Spirit is _______________, as the author prefers this term from the Secret Book.
2. In a newly discovered Nag Hammadi text, it says, "I am __________. I am both Mother and Father since I copulate with myself. I am the Womb, the All."
3. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
4. __________ was far more recognized and abundant than previously thought, especially in the years following Jesus' death.
5. Jesus says that he will lead Mary, make her _______ so that she too may become a living spirit, resembling the others in the room.
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)