|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The meaning of the actual _____________ has created great controversy among scholars and in the world.
2. Valentinus described the Mother as the Grace, the Silence, the _________ and the Mother of All.
3. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
4. When Jesus appears to Mary, what does he tell her not to do, which causes some to question his appearance?
(a) Touch him.
(c) Tell anyone.
5. Ultimately, what happened to Justin who writes the letters which attempt to protect those in the Christian faith?
(a) He is made a cardinal.
(b) He is made pope.
(c) He is put to death.
(d) He is exiled from the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some say that the Christian creed was written to specifically exclude ___________ and his followers who were not following the creed.
2. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
3. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
4. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
5. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)