|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Testimony of Truth does not confine its attacks to the orthodoxy, but also directs its attentions to the deficiencies of supposedly immature ________.
2. One argument against the orthodox is that Christians refuse to truly seek God who can only be found in the fulfillment of the _________.
3. It is said that at least the Christians had been called by God, unlike the pagans who could be excused for their ____________.
4. In the Gospel of Thomas, Peter tells Mary to leave them because _________ are not worthy of life, but Jesus responds.
(b) The Apostles.
5. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
(b) Garden of Eden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
2. Pliny would often execute those who admitted to being of the _____________ faith, though he would let those go who did not admit to the faith.
3. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
4. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
5. Tertullian later spoke of joining a spiritual church for spiritual people, not a church for ___________.
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)