|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
2. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
3. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
4. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
(a) The Church.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Gnostics.
(d) The Jews.
5. Valentinus speaks of a story in which the Feminine Principal, as Wisdom, tries to ____________ by itself, though this does not work.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hebrew term for Spirit is _______________, as the author prefers this term from the Secret Book.
2. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
3. In the traditional orthodox canon, the spirit or the _____________ is gender neutral, but this is not the case everywhere.
4. However, in two other gospels, it is _____________ who sees Jesus after he has risen from the dead.
5. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)