|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Phillip in his gospel laughs at the _________________ as a test of spiritual sufficiency, as people receive nothing from this.
(c) Baptism by water.
2. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
3. Which of the three principals in the Holy Trinity is genderless, according to Pagels' observations?
(c) Holy Spirit.
4. Paul says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of __________" in one of his statements about the resurrection.
5. The orthodoxy tried to maintain its power and its legitimacy by striving against any _____________ criteria.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
2. How many leather bound papyri were in the jar when Muhammed finally broke it open with his knife?
3. The Gnostics did not stress the idea of obedience to authority, but rather ___________ with those united in communion.
4. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
5. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)