|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Justin was a philosopher who wrote to the Emperor protesting the treatment of a __________________.
(b) Christian man.
(c) Christian woman.
(d) Disciple of Jesus.
2. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
(a) The Jews.
(b) The Gnostics.
(c) The Church.
(d) The Romans.
3. __________ united Gnostic brethren together and that brotherhood was paramount, not the obedience to any clergy.
(a) The Bible.
(c) God's laws.
4. The Hebrew term for Spirit is _______________, as the author prefers this term from the Secret Book.
5. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Gnostic texts call God _________ for punishing Adam and Eve for obtaining spiritual wisdom from a serpent.
2. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
3. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
4. The orthodoxy tried to maintain its power and its legitimacy by striving against any _____________ criteria.
5. Hippolytus accused the Bishop of Rome of ___________, claiming that he was treated like a common criminal and not as a Christian martyr.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)