|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The orthodoxy tried to maintain its power and its legitimacy by striving against any _____________ criteria.
2. In the Apocryphon of John, the ____________ was the Holy Spirit as a part of the Holy Trinity.
3. Authoritative Teaching rails against external acts of worship as making so-called Christians worse than the __________.
4. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
5. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
2. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
3. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
4. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
5. Tertullian was against the heretics that embraced the followings of Jesus, but who also denied the idea of _______________.
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)