|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
2. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
3. Tertullian noted the way that _______ were so eagerly accepted in all facets of church society with great horror.
4. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
(a) The Church.
(b) The Jews.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Gnostics.
5. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
(a) It might contain a map.
(b) It might have Christian teachings in it.
(c) It might contain gold.
(d) It might be cursed.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
2. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
3. Who did Professor Giles Quispel persuade to try to buy the codices in order to study them further?
4. The language in many texts respects the idea of the female, though not in pagan terms, rather in presenting God as a Mother/Father ______.
5. There is some speculation that the use of ________ was used in order to indicate that God was both Male and Female.
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)