|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pagels points out that the ___________ may be the key building block of orthodox Christianity.
(a) Temptation of Christ.
(b) Fall of Eden.
(d) Creation myth.
2. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
3. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
(a) Mary Magdalene.
4. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
5. In 1896, the amazing manuscript called the Gospel of _________ was found by a German Egyptologist.
Short Answer Questions
1. However, in two other gospels, it is _____________ who sees Jesus after he has risen from the dead.
2. What was the color of the earthenware jar that the Arabs in the area found to contain momentous records of early Christianity?
3. Tertullian claimed that Valentinus' theology was driven by __________, according to the research that Pagels did.
4. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
5. Pagels talks about three different interpretations of the Divine - as the _______, as the Holy Spirit, and as Wisdom.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)