|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
2. The Gospel of the Egyptians from the Gnostic texts highlights the Great, Invisible ___________ in its lines.
3. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
4. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
5. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Iranaeus, the monotheism of the Valentianians was a kind of ________, a hoax that would allow them to participate in the orthodox church.
2. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
3. What were Muhammed 'Ali and his brothers digging for?
4. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
5. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)