|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
2. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
3. Bishop Irenaeus wrote the book "The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-Called _____________."
4. There are some descriptions of the resurrection that could raise some questions about the _____________ of the event.
5. The Gnostics considered themselves to be ____________, not believers and were despised by orthodox theologians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
2. What did Muhammed finally decide was worth breaking open the jar that he and his brothers found?
3. Marion concluded that there were ___________ because of the brutal God in the Old Testament and the compassionate God in the New Testament.
4. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
5. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)