|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
2. Tertullian wrote: "...this flesh, suffused with blood, built up with bones, interwoven with nerves.....was born and dies, undoubtedly _________."
3. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
(c) Funeral procession.
(d) Blood feud.
4. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
(a) No one.
(b) The Lost.
5. What happened to some of the papyri when it was taken home by Muhammed, though he did not understand their value?
(b) Used as kindling.
(c) Given as gifts.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
2. Another Gnostic text, the Gospel of ____________, highlighted a relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.
3. Who did Professor Giles Quispel persuade to try to buy the codices in order to study them further?
4. The difference between Plato's doctrine of the soul's ______________ and the resurrection was that resurrection was real flesh reborn.
5. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)