|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Gnostic author had nothing but contempt for a congregation of seekers that sought to avoid the firm citadel of Christan ___________.
2. Ignatius scorned the Gnostic view that Christ had not truly ____________ as this was a main tenet in orthodox beliefs.
3. There is even some suggestion in Gnostic texts that man himself creates the world of ___________, something radical even for the Gnostic beliefs.
4. In the Hypostasis of the Archons, ________ is elevated to being the spiritual mother of Adam, even though other stories contradict this.
(b) Mary Magdalene.
5. It is the mixing of the _________________ with normal humanity that engenders the interpretation of the birth of Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
2. Some Gnostic authors see Sophia as the ___________ benevolently having provided the gift of self-awareness to Adam and to Eve.
3. One argument against the orthodox is that Christians refuse to truly seek God who can only be found in the fulfillment of the _________.
4. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
5. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)