|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The _________ today, according to the Catholic Church, is the only legitimate heir to the humble vestments of Peter.
2. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
(a) The Jews.
(b) The Church.
(c) The Gnostics.
(d) The Romans.
3. Tertullian suggested the Gnostics were trying to evade death by changing the story of the _________________, which elevated Christ into a God.
4. Who is one of the followers who did not recognize Jesus when he reappeared after the resurrection?
(b) Mary Magdalene.
5. A group of _____________was given a month to reconsider its fate, but eventually and happily they went to their death, much to the confusion of the judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tertullian later spoke of joining a spiritual church for spiritual people, not a church for ___________.
2. Clement of Alexandria talks of a __________ gnosis which was promoted by the Valentianians.
3. Gnosticism, based on direction, immediate _________, in visions and on dreams, challenged the orthodox believers.
4. The author believes that the resurrection is what sets Christianity apart from other faiths as it deals with __________, not with rebirth.
5. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)