|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ___________ of the original Greek gospels by various scholars enhanced the controversy around them.
2. While the scrolls were taken to the Coptic museum for safekeeping, _______ of the codices were smuggled out of the country.
3. The orthodox church became increasingly suspicious of anyone who claimed the secret ___________.
4. The twelve ____________ had the authority to pass on their power to others, according to orthodox theory.
5. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
(a) No one.
(c) The Lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ was the issue of the day for the orthodox church, according to Pagels' findings in this chapter.
2. Bishop Irenaeus wrote the book "The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-Called _____________."
3. What was the color of the earthenware jar that the Arabs in the area found to contain momentous records of early Christianity?
4. The resurrection was useful ____________, which is why it became such an important part of religious dogma.
5. The resurrection, Pagels speculates, helps to _____________ the authority of those who believed literally in the resurrection.
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)