|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
(a) The Gnostics.
(b) The Church.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Jews.
2. To Iranaeus, the monotheism of the Valentianians was a kind of ________, a hoax that would allow them to participate in the orthodox church.
3. How many leather bound papyri were in the jar when Muhammed finally broke it open with his knife?
4. Where did members of the Egyptian government eventually spot the papyri that Muhammed had given away?
(a) The library.
(b) Coptic museum.
(c) Black market.
5. The Gnostics, some said, interpreted the resurrection to be something like an apparition that appears in a ________ state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Muhammad and his brothers embark on in order to avenge the death of their father?
2. What kind of teacher was Raghib, the man who told Muhammed that the scrolls might be worth some money?
3. The finding of the earthenware jar became known as the Naj or the Nag ________________ find.
4. The difference between Plato's doctrine of the soul's ______________ and the resurrection was that resurrection was real flesh reborn.
5. A __________ tourist in 1769 bought a Coptic codex near Thebes, which helped to explain more about the time period of the gospels.
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)