|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Valentine did distinguish between the creator, architect of the World, also known as the ______________, and the actual foundational spirit of the universe.
2. While the scrolls were taken to the Coptic museum for safekeeping, _______ of the codices were smuggled out of the country.
3. After the death of Judas, the only real candidate for succession was ____________ who had also walked with Christ.
4. Pagels recounts how in the story of _________ that Jesus tells his disciples to reach out and touch him to show he is flesh and bones.
5. What was the color of the earthenware jar that the Arabs in the area found to contain momentous records of early Christianity?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Professor Giles Quispel persuade to try to buy the codices in order to study them further?
2. Paul's statements in his letters seem to indicate that there is a ______________ which he will go to.
3. The Gnostic teachers tell the story of the ___________ differently from their orthodox brethren, according to Pagels.
4. Pagels points out that it was __________ that ultimately expelled the Valentinians who strove to maintain their membership.
5. The Gnostics called the orthodox view the faith of ___________, according to the text presented in the chapter.
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)