Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will take care of re-closing the contracts that were stolen in the robbery?
2. Who reenters the office in the last moment of the play?
3. What does Aaronow ask for when he steps out of his interrogation?
4. Which two salesmen are still working for the Company at the end of the play?
5. According to Roma, what are the chances that any of the catastrophes he names will befall a person?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the setting of the play. What is Mamet saying about the world that these men inhabit? Does he believe they can ever escape it, or does the constant grinding follow them everywhere they go? What lives do they have outside of this world? Divide the essay into two parts analyzing the significance and connection between these two locations:
Part 1) The Chinese restaurant
Part 2) The office
Essay Topic 2
The framing device of the first act only gives us brief glimpses of the characters, and it never puts all of them in the same room. Moreover, it gives us information about the contest in small portions. How does this affect the way the view experiences the play? What speculations does it create? How is the audience prepared for the second act?
Essay Topic 3
Mamet's play is essentially about what is hidden in our speech. Every character in the play wants something, but he conceals his desires behind small-talk, jargon, platitudes, and vulgarity. Choose one character from the play and analyze in an essay how he conceals his objectives. What does he want? How is his personality an act to distract people from his ultimate design? Does he succeed or fail?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)