|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Roma, what are the chances that any of the catastrophes he names will befall a person?
2. What information does Levene reveal he knows about Williamson after Roma goes to his interview?
3. What type of coffee does the woman bring Roma the morning after the best sex he ever had?
4. What order does Williamson frantically give the desperate Aaronow after his interrogation?
5. Which of the following is not something Roma lists as something he remembers from the best sex of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the character of James Lingk. He does not speak much, but when he does his words express a deep-seeded fear of life and desire to be loved. Why does he buy into Roma's pitch so readily, and why does he remain as loyal to the man as to his own wife? Does the author imply a deeper emotional bond from Lingk's point of view? What does Lingk ultimately represent in the frame of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the topic of Glengarry Glen Ross as social criticism. In what way is the real estate office a microcosm for a system of capitalism gone rampant? How are the salesmen figures seen as both victims and perpetrators of this system? Cite examples from the real world - perhaps in the modern derivatives market - of people who have served the same purpose in a wildly unregulated system.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Shelly Levene as that tragic hero of Glengarry Glen Ross. To what extent is Levene the puppet of unseen forces throughout the entire play? How does he try to rise above these forces, and how is his final demise the product of this rebellion? Divide the essay into three paragraphs, one for each of these prompts.
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)