|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a person Roma says he will contact to get Williamson fired after he blows the deal?
2. Which of the following is not a hypothetical way a person could learn about owning property that Roma lists in Scene 3?
3. What is the cue Roma asks Levene to give him when Lingk arrives at the office?
4. What ability does Lingk say he does not have?
5. Who does Baylen call into his office while Lingk is in the office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of George Aaronow. How does he fit into the framework of the real estate office? What is the first impression that the audience has of this character? Does he betray anyone in the play, and does this make him a better person? Does that fact that he has not been fired or arrested by the end of the play signify a sort of ironic justice?
Essay Topic 2
Mamet's world is clearly a world of layered deception, and the web of lies created by the men that live there are perilously fragile. Write an essay about three of these deceptions. What is the objective of each? Why is a lie required to facilitate success, and how do the fragile constructs fall apart?
Part 1) Roma's Lingk sale
Part 2) Levene's big sale
Part 3) Moss's robbery
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the character of James Lingk. He does not speak much, but when he does his words express a deep-seeded fear of life and desire to be loved. Why does he buy into Roma's pitch so readily, and why does he remain as loyal to the man as to his own wife? Does the author imply a deeper emotional bond from Lingk's point of view? What does Lingk ultimately represent in the frame of the play?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)