|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invalidated the last lead Levene closed?
2. Who does Aaronow claim to be concerned about as he and Moss complain about the sales contest?
3. Why is Moss asking Aaronow for his help?
4. When does Levene offer to pay Williamson the money for the leads?
5. What type of car did MItch buy with the profits from Glen Ross Farms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Levene explain his current poor performance?
2. What is Moss's alibi for the police?
3. What competitive sales situation has Williamson created in the office?
4. How does Levene characterize the leads he is given?
5. How do Williamson and Levene stand at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
6. Describe Ricky Roma.
7. Describe John Williamson.
8. How does Moss initially broach the idea of robbing the office?
9. How does Roma introduce real estate to the conversation?
10. What reassurance does Roma give Aaronow about talking to the police?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Shelly Levene as that tragic hero of Glengarry Glen Ross. To what extent is Levene the puppet of unseen forces throughout the entire play? How does he try to rise above these forces, and how is his final demise the product of this rebellion? Divide the essay into three paragraphs, one for each of these prompts.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the setting of the play. What is Mamet saying about the world that these men inhabit? Does he believe they can ever escape it, or does the constant grinding follow them everywhere they go? What lives do they have outside of this world? Divide the essay into two parts analyzing the significance and connection between these two locations:
Part 1) The Chinese restaurant
Part 2) The office
Essay Topic 3
John Williamson is the focal point of rage in the play. He is the company man, the outsider whose neck is not on the line. Examine three instances in the play in which salesmen lash out at him. Why are they angry at him? Is he truly at fault for their failure? How does he respond?
Part 1) Aaronow's outburst during his interrogation
Part 2) Roma's tirade after Williamson blow his sale
Part 3) Levene's lecture after Roma's outburst
This section contains 2,444 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)