|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Williamson claim has been consistently number 2 on the sales board?
2. How many premium Glengarry leads does Moss estimate the office has?
3. How does Leven promise to affect the dollar volumes if he gets the premium leads?
4. What window does Moss suggest Jerry Graff would pay for each lead when he first broaches the subject?
5. Where does Levene want his two premium sits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moss need Aaronow to actually rob the office?
2. What system does Williamson use for marshaling the leads?
3. Describe some of the extravagant claims Levene makes about his past with the company.
4. Describe John Williamson.
5. How does Moss initially broach the idea of robbing the office?
6. What reassurance does Roma give Aaronow about talking to the police?
7. How does Moss explain to Aaronow that he is an accessory to the future crime?
8. Describe Roma's essential philosophy as stated in this scene.
9. What is the reality of Levene's big sale, according to Williamson?
10. Describe the initial interchange between Lingk and Roma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of Glengarry Glen Ross as social criticism. In what way is the real estate office a microcosm for a system of capitalism gone rampant? How are the salesmen figures seen as both victims and perpetrators of this system? Cite examples from the real world - perhaps in the modern derivatives market - of people who have served the same purpose in a wildly unregulated system.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the setting of the play. What is Mamet saying about the world that these men inhabit? Does he believe they can ever escape it, or does the constant grinding follow them everywhere they go? What lives do they have outside of this world? Divide the essay into two parts analyzing the significance and connection between these two locations:
Part 1) The Chinese restaurant
Part 2) The office
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Shelly Levene as that tragic hero of Glengarry Glen Ross. To what extent is Levene the puppet of unseen forces throughout the entire play? How does he try to rise above these forces, and how is his final demise the product of this rebellion? Divide the essay into three paragraphs, one for each of these prompts.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)