|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company is providing that premium leads?
2. What are the two men doing at the beginning of the scene?
3. What type of car did MItch buy with the profits from Glen Ross Farms?
4. What piece of information does Aaronow try to glean from Moss in many different ways as they discuss robbing the bank?
5. Who does Williamson claim has been consistently number 2 on the sales board?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the status of the salesmen at the end of Act 1?
2. Describe Moss's exit from the play.
3. What betrayal does Ricky Roma pull at the end of the play?
4. What is Shelly Levene's first offer to Williamson for the good leads?
5. Describe Dave Moss.
6. Describe Levene's big sale story.
7. How does Williamson figure out that Levene robbed the office?
8. What offer has Jerry Graff made to Dave Moss?
9. What is the status of Moss and Aaronow's discussion at the end of the scene?
10. What is the reality of Levene's big sale, according to Williamson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of Glengarry Glen Ross as social criticism. In what way is the real estate office a microcosm for a system of capitalism gone rampant? How are the salesmen figures seen as both victims and perpetrators of this system? Cite examples from the real world - perhaps in the modern derivatives market - of people who have served the same purpose in a wildly unregulated system.
Essay Topic 2
David Mamet's work is nearly always concerned with the idea of the scam. His characters are always scheming against other for their own gain, setting up systems that are rigged in their favor. Write an essay about the scams of this play:
Part 1) How is the business of selling this land a lie? Is the business these men engage in connected in any way to the dreams they promise their customers? Cite the interchange between Lingk, Roma, and Levene in Act 2 as evidence.
Part 2) To what extent is the company scamming the salesmen? Is there any way that these men can win in a system like the sales contest?
Part 3) How does Dave Moss scam both the company and his fellow salesmen over the course of the play? How does he keep himself free of risk, and how does his plan work in the end?
Essay Topic 3
In accordance with his interest in misdirection and scheming, Mamet's work is know for its critique of the English language. Primarily, the playwright argues that the language is misleading and imprecise. Write an essay on Mamet's ambiguous language, focusing on Moss's interchange with Aaronow regarding the robbery. How does Moss parse the words "talking" and "speaking?" How does this allow him to entrap Aaronow?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)