|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the years Levene claims to have been at the top of the board?
2. What is Williamson's counteroffer to Levene regarding his cut of his commission?
3. What happens on the thirtieth besides the end of the contest?
4. What have the salesmen been offered if they win the sales contest?
5. About what does Moss admit he lied?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave Moss.
2. How does Williamson blow Roma's big sale?
3. How does Moss initially broach the idea of robbing the office?
4. How does Roma claim that he deals with the uncertainties of life?
5. What point is Roma making discussing his best sexual experience?
6. What is Shelly Levene's first offer to Williamson for the good leads?
7. What is the status of the salesmen at the end of Act 1?
8. What is the reality of Levene's big sale, according to Williamson?
9. What happened to the last deal Levene closed?
10. What does Moss have to say about Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Dave Moss is often described as having a big mouth, but for all his pontificating on the ways of the world his exact motivation is unclear. Do you think he is an angry man driven to desperation and crime, or is he conniving, greedy man who takes advantage of a desperate situation? Write an essay stating your opinion and citing specifics from the text as evidence.
Essay Topic 2
David Mamet's work is nearly always concerned with the idea of the scam. His characters are always scheming against other for their own gain, setting up systems that are rigged in their favor. Write an essay about the scams of this play:
Part 1) How is the business of selling this land a lie? Is the business these men engage in connected in any way to the dreams they promise their customers? Cite the interchange between Lingk, Roma, and Levene in Act 2 as evidence.
Part 2) To what extent is the company scamming the salesmen? Is there any way that these men can win in a system like the sales contest?
Part 3) How does Dave Moss scam both the company and his fellow salesmen over the course of the play? How does he keep himself free of risk, and how does his plan work in the end?
Essay Topic 3
John Williamson is the focal point of rage in the play. He is the company man, the outsider whose neck is not on the line. Examine three instances in the play in which salesmen lash out at him. Why are they angry at him? Is he truly at fault for their failure? How does he respond?
Part 1) Aaronow's outburst during his interrogation
Part 2) Roma's tirade after Williamson blow his sale
Part 3) Levene's lecture after Roma's outburst
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)