|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a time Levene lists for his premium sits?
2. Which of the following is another office that Levene in which mentions having worked?
3. Which of the following is not one of the years Levene claims to have been at the top of the board?
4. What term does Levene use to describe Moss in the first scene?
5. Jerry Graff buys a list of names of people in what profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the company gone wrong in recent years, according to Moss?
2. How does Jerry Graff get started in business on his own?
3. What does Levene say to Williamson when he first comes to the office?
4. What caveat does Levene try to add to his arrangement with Williamson, and how does Williamson respond?
5. How does the deal between Levene and Williamson fall apart?
6. How does Moss explain to Aaronow that he is an accessory to the future crime?
7. What big news does Levene have when he enters in Act 2?
8. According to Moss, what must a man do to go out on his own?
9. What offer has Jerry Graff made to Dave Moss?
10. What is Shelley Levene's objective in having lunch with Williamson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mamet's play essentially pits men against each other who are being constantly compared by forces far above them. Write an essay about this inherent comparison of talent and success:
Part 1) Levene speaks at length about his past glory. How does his fabled past compare with his present? How does his outlook on life change along with his fortunes over the course of the play?
Part 2) How does Dave Moss respond to being pitted against his fellow salesmen? How does his final argument with Roma reflect a deep insecurity regarding his own abilities.
Part 3) To what extent is Aaronow defeated by the system? Cite his interactions with Moss and Roma to determine what his chances of survival are. Is he the type of product intended by this competition?
Essay Topic 2
Mamet's world is clearly a world of layered deception, and the web of lies created by the men that live there are perilously fragile. Write an essay about three of these deceptions. What is the objective of each? Why is a lie required to facilitate success, and how do the fragile constructs fall apart?
Part 1) Roma's Lingk sale
Part 2) Levene's big sale
Part 3) Moss's robbery
Essay Topic 3
In the world of Glengarry Glen Ross, there is no coherent sense of right and wrong. The system is so corrupt that even actions in which people intend good are carried out by perfidious means. Write an essay about the moral ambiguity of the play. How is the company system one in which goodness is punished? How are Roma, who serves the system; Moss, who battles against it; and Levene, who is victimized by it, all essentially equal in their moral framework? Does anyone rise about the miasma of the company?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)