|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By Chapter 10, how many orphans had Gladys taken in?
2. How many children did Gladys take through the mountains to Madame Chiang's?
3. What showed Gladys that the country of her birth had lost its way spiritually?
4. Where did Gladys hide the children as they passed through Japanese-held territory?
5. How long should the journey to the orphanage have taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Mr. Lu not returned to the mule inn?
2. What did Chu En do in Yangcheng?
3. Who were Gladys' unlikely companions during her time at the prison, and how did they support her?
4. What was the purpose of the questionnaire handed out by Communist officials?
5. What difficulties did Gladys face on the journey to Madame Chiang's?
6. Did Lao Dah's life have a happy ending?
7. Why were a group of college students placing pins on a map of northwest China?
8. Did Lao Dah truly change?
9. Do you think Gladys should have acted as a spy for the Chinese general?
10. How did Gladys get a stethoscope for Chu En?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Ching used the metaphor of foot-binding to describe an experience she had. What was that experience? Was her metaphor accurate or inaccurate? Why? How can Mrs. Ching's metaphor be used to draw a comparison between two occupations that Gladys had?
Essay Topic 2
Gladys witnessed the effects of Communism several times throughout her life. Cite one example of an encounter. What was Gladys' reaction? Was it justified? How did Communism affect Gladys' life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Gladys Aylward who left England in 1932 with Ai-Weh-Deh who returned twenty years later. Discuss the changes and similarities in both her outward appearance and her personality.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)