|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could Gladys not sleeping during the first night at the lamasery?
2. Gladys went to northwest China with whom?
3. Where was Madame Chiang's orphanage located?
4. How long did Lao Dah stay with Gladys after his return?
5. What did Gladys do to Mr. Shan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Communists blame Christianity for the anti-government feelings among the students?
2. Who were Gladys' unlikely companions during her time at the prison, and how did they support her?
3. Why did Lao Dah interrogate Gladys?
4. What difficulty did Gladys face in leaving China for England?
5. Were the lamas surprised by the visit of Gladys and Dr. Huang?
6. Why did Gladys write to Madame Chiang in Chapter 10?
7. Why were Dr. Huang and Gladys singing in Chapter 13?
8. What was the purpose of the questionnaire handed out by Communist officials?
9. Did Lao Dah's life have a happy ending?
10. How was Gladys' journey with the children across the mountains similar to her earlier journey to China?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gladys used various connections and positions to further her message. One example would be her connection with the police inspector in Belfast, whom she contacted in order to release Wong Kwai from the asylum. Choose a different example and address the following questions:
1) Describe the example and its context.
2.) How did Gladys use a person or situation to spread the gospel?
3) In the context of this example, was Gladys exploiting the person or situation, or merely making the most of it?
Essay Topic 2
Gladys witnessed the effects of Communism several times throughout her life. Cite one example of an encounter. What was Gladys' reaction? Was it justified? How did Communism affect Gladys' life?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Ching used the metaphor of foot-binding to describe an experience she had. What was that experience? Was her metaphor accurate or inaccurate? Why? How can Mrs. Ching's metaphor be used to draw a comparison between two occupations that Gladys had?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)