|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was blamed for anti-government sentiment?
2. At a prayer meeting, Gladys heard a young man declare that which country needed salvation?
3. Who begged Gladys to flee with the Chinese army?
4. The questionnaires given to the university students evaluated what?
5. What did Gladys do to prepare for the Lord blessing her church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lao Dah interrogate Gladys?
2. Did Lao Dah truly change?
3. What happened to the Methodist church where Gladys took a position after the war?
4. Do you think Gladys should have acted as a spy for the Chinese general?
5. How did Gladys get a stethoscope for Chu En?
6. Was Gladys wise to flee with the Chinese army in Chapter 10?
7. Why were a group of college students placing pins on a map of northwest China?
8. Why did the Communists blame Christianity for the anti-government feelings among the students?
9. Why were Dr. Huang and Gladys singing in Chapter 13?
10. What prompted Gladys to return to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the conversation between the mandarin and Gladys concerning missionary work in China. Defend one side of the argument, using examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write about one of Gladys' children. If applicable, address the following:
1) How did Gladys find him or her?
2) How did Gladys and this child influence each other?
3) What was the significance of this child in the context of the book as a whole?
4) What did the child go on to do?
Essay Topic 3
Gladys had four significant arrivals during her life: her first arrival in China, her return to England, her arrival in Hong Kong, and her visit to America. Compare and contrast these four arrivals. How were they similar? How were they different? How did each country treat Gladys? How did Gladys feel about each country?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)