|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By Chapter 10, how many orphans had Gladys taken in?
2. Who ordered a boat for Gladys and the children?
3. Where did Gladys move after she recovered from her illness?
4. The questionnaires given to the university students evaluated what?
5. Why could Gladys not sleeping during the first night at the lamasery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lao Dah interrogate Gladys?
2. How was Gladys' journey with the children across the mountains similar to her earlier journey to China?
3. What prompted Gladys to return to England?
4. Do you think Gladys should have acted as a spy for the Chinese general?
5. Why were a group of college students placing pins on a map of northwest China?
6. Why were Dr. Huang and Gladys singing in Chapter 13?
7. What did Chu En do in Yangcheng?
8. Why did Gladys write to Madame Chiang in Chapter 10?
9. What was the purpose of the questionnaire handed out by Communist officials?
10. Should Gladys have touched Mr. Shan on the shoulder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gladys acted courageously at many times during her life. Was Gladys truly courageous, or did she have no choice under the circumstances? Defend your answer with three specific situations from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conversation between the mandarin and Gladys concerning missionary work in China. Defend one side of the argument, using examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladys entitles her first chapter "China's Millions," referring to the millions of Chinese who had never heard about Jesus Christ. How was her life an answer to this challenge? By the end of the book, had she done something about those millions? Cite three specific examples.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)