|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gladys tell the woman who was holding a child?
2. What did Gladys receive as gifts from her family and friends before leaving?
3. Gladys' occupation as listed on her passport was changed from "missionary" to what?
4. Gladys saw the soldiers go where?
5. When did Mrs. Lawson die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dr. and Mrs. Fisher influence Gladys?
2. How did Gladys show courage in her journey through Russia on the way to China in Chapter 2?
3. Do you think Gladys was right in being nervous about the interpreter in Vladivostok?
4. How was Gladys able to use the inn to share her faith?
5. Did Gladys have a reason to be afraid when awakened one night during the convention?
6. Did Gladys receive strong encouragement to become a missionary in China? Explain.
7. Describe the difficulties that Gladys faced on her journey through Russia, in Chapter 2.
8. How was Gladys received by Mrs. Lawson?
9. In Chapter 3, why did Gladys decide to trust the young woman in Vladivostok and follow the old man?
10. How did Mrs. Lawson's death leave Gladys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Ching used the metaphor of foot-binding to describe an experience she had. What was that experience? Was her metaphor accurate or inaccurate? Why? How can Mrs. Ching's metaphor be used to draw a comparison between two occupations that Gladys had?
Essay Topic 2
Gladys led an extraordinary life and exceeded the expectations others had for her. Does she appear proud of her accomplishments in her autobiography? Support your answers with three examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of Gladys' book. Is "The Little Woman" an accurate description for her? What did she accomplish despite being a little woman? Was her small stature beneficial?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)