|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what did Gladys buy her first child?
2. In which country was Gladys' train attacked?
3. Who took Gladys' passport from her in Vladivostok?
4. When Gladys awoke one night during the convention, what did she suspect was happening?
5. How did Gladys free herself from the Russian soldiers who captured her on the gangway?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how did Gladys discover that her train was being attacked?
2. What step finalized Gladys' immersion into China?
3. What comforted Gladys while she was being kept in Chita?
4. Was Gladys'convention ruined by the guest speaker failing to arrive?
5. Did Gladys want to buy Ninepence at first?
6. In Chapters 5 and 6, how did Gladys use the opportunities that came her way to spread her message?
7. Did Gladys have a reason to be afraid when awakened one night during the convention?
8. Why did Mrs. Ching not cooperate with Gladys when they first met?
9. Do you think Gladys was right in being nervous about the interpreter in Vladivostok?
10. How did Gladys respond to the mandarin's request that she be a foot inspector?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In her lifetime, Gladys was a citizen of first England and then China. Compare and contrast Gladys' descriptions of these two countries. Include a comparison of the people and Gladys' work within each country.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conversation between the mandarin and Gladys concerning missionary work in China. Defend one side of the argument, using examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Gladys had several encounters with men who were strongly opposed to her message but eventually were converted to Christianity. Cite one example. What was Gladys' method for reaching the man? How long did it take for him to change? What was the result of his change?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)