|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 6, how many children had Gladys accumulated?
2. Where did Mrs. Ching expect Gladys was taking her?
3. When Gladys awoke one night during the convention, what did she suspect was happening?
4. What did Gladys' Chinese name mean?
5. After questioning Gladys, what did the officials in Chita do with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Gladys show compassion for Mrs. Ching and the children living with her?
2. In Chapter 2, how did Gladys discover that her train was being attacked?
3. Did Gladys have a reason to be afraid when awakened one night during the convention?
4. How does Gladys describe one of her foot-inspecting visits to a village?
5. How did Mrs. Lawson's death leave Gladys?
6. How did Dr. and Mrs. Fisher influence Gladys?
7. Was the British consulate official in Japan right in scolding Gladys?
8. How was Gladys able to use the inn to share her faith?
9. Was Gladys'convention ruined by the guest speaker failing to arrive?
10. Describe Gladys' mission work in England, before she left for China.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War affected Gladys several times during her life time. Cite one example when Gladys was in the midst of war. Describe her actions and reactions to the event. Discuss whether or not you consider her actions commendable.
Essay Topic 2
Gladys used various connections and positions to further her message. One example would be her connection with the police inspector in Belfast, whom she contacted in order to release Wong Kwai from the asylum. Choose a different example and address the following questions:
1) Describe the example and its context.
2.) How did Gladys use a person or situation to spread the gospel?
3) In the context of this example, was Gladys exploiting the person or situation, or merely making the most of it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the conversation between the mandarin and Gladys concerning missionary work in China. Defend one side of the argument, using examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)