|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gladys do to Mr. Shan?
(a) Washed his feet.
(b) Touched him on the shoulder.
(c) Took his hand.
(d) Touched his head.
2. Why were Gladys and the children forced to get off the train and walk through the mountains?
(a) They did not have enough money.
(b) The train did not run because of danger from the Japanese.
(c) There were no passenger trains in China.
(d) The Japanese were using it for soldiers.
3. When Gladys saw Lao Dah two years after their first meeting, what was he?
(a) A bandit.
(b) A mandarin.
(c) A beggar.
(d) A general.
4. Why could Gladys not sleeping during the first night at the lamasery?
(a) She was too nervous to fall asleep.
(b) She was fasting and praying.
(c) The noise of the lamas praying was too distracting.
(d) Lamas came to her door asking to talk with her.
5. Gladys went to northwest China with whom?
(a) Madame Chiang.
(b) Dr. Huang.
(c) Lu En.
(d) Mr. Shan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had placed restrictions on immigration, making it difficult for Gladys to leave?
2. What did Mr. Shan do after Gladys touched him?
3. Who broke up meetings of Christian Chinese students?
4. Who was a murderer and the toughest inmate in the prison?
5. One of Gladys' children reminded her about Moses parting which body of water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gladys end up in a hospital in Chapter 11?
2. Were the lamas surprised by the visit of Gladys and Dr. Huang?
3. What happened to the Methodist church where Gladys took a position after the war?
4. What prompted Gladys to return to England?
5. Did Gladys have immediate success at the prison?
6. Should Gladys have touched Mr. Shan on the shoulder?
7. Why did the Communists blame Christianity for the anti-government feelings among the students?
8. What difficulties did Gladys face on the journey to Madame Chiang's?
9. What difficulty did Gladys face in leaving China for England?
10. Why had Mr. Lu not returned to the mule inn?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)