|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gladys and the children need to cross in order to get to Free China?
(a) The Red Sea.
(b) The Po River.
(c) The Yellow River.
(d) The Yangtze River.
2. How did Gladys travel to a larger hospital during her illness?
(a) In a boat.
(b) On a helicopter.
(c) On foot.
(d) In a cow cart.
3. As Gladys considered whether or not to flee, what verse did she read?
(a) "Follow me."
(b) "Stand firm."
(c) "Flee, flee into the mountains."
(d) "He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully."
4. What were the college students sticking pins into?
(a) A voodoo doll.
(c) A paper donkey.
(d) A map of northwest China.
5. Who said, "Christians do not retreat"?
(a) Mr. Lu.
(c) Lao Dah.
(d) Madame Chiang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object did Chu En want?
2. In what position was Gladys able to travel to villages during the war?
3. What did Gladys do to Mr. Shan?
4. What was blamed for anti-government sentiment?
5. Approximately how many lamas were in the lamasery that Gladys visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. Should Gladys have touched Mr. Shan on the shoulder?
2. What difficulties did Gladys face on the journey to Madame Chiang's?
3. Do you think Gladys should have acted as a spy for the Chinese general?
4. Were the lamas surprised by the visit of Gladys and Dr. Huang?
5. What did Chu En do in Yangcheng?
6. What prompted Gladys to return to England?
7. Did Lao Dah's life have a happy ending?
8. Did Gladys have immediate success at the prison?
9. Were the Christian Chinese students who were gathered into a town square courageous?
10. Why did the Communists blame Christianity for the anti-government feelings among the students?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)