|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Chike's mother?
2. Which of Marcus's stalwarts does he ask to vote for him first?
3. What is the name of the deity who causes terror on the town?
4. Where does Nnaemeka's father like to read his bible?
5. What does Nwibe think it would have been easier for his wife to do than hit the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will Akueke's life change now she is livng with her grandfather?
2. What are Julius's duties as clerk?
3. How does Nnameka's father's attitude change at the end of the story?
4. Why did Marcus Ibe become a politician?
5. Why does Nnaemeka's father think Ugoye is the perfect match for his son?
6. What does Chike love about school?
7. How do Nene and Nnaemeka win people over?
8. Why is Ibe such a popular politician?
9. How does the author compare the new religion to palm wine?
10. What does Nnaemeke's remember about Ugoye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Vera's upbringing effect her decisions in the novel? How will Vera's upbringing effect her in the future? How can she change her situation?
Essay Topic 3
What does the author suggests stops Nigeria from becoming the modern day country they seem capable of becoming? Why are so many people against Nigeria moving with the times?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)