|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Griet believe that the backlash from Catharina was not as intense as it should be?
(a) Catharina fears Griet.
(b) Catharina wants Griet to have an affair with Vermeer.
(c) Catharina does not think Vermeer would ever have an affair.
(d) Catharina no longer cares for her marriage.
2. Whom did Griet tell about Cornelia's plotting and scheming?
3. What item did Cornelia suggest that Catharina wear?
4. What item caused Griet to understand that Vermeer did not love her?
(a) The color he uses.
(b) The jewelry box.
(c) The portrait.
(d) The hair comb.
5. What did Griet use to numb her ear?
(a) Clove oil
(b) Lavender oil.
(c) Cold meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Griet believe Vermeer would ask her to wear for the portrait?
2. What did Griet always keep hidden?
3. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
4. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
5. Who told Griet that there was something dangerous in Vermeer's paintings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
2. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
3. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
4. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
5. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
6. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
7. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
8. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
9. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
10. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)