|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told Catharina that Griet had been assisting Vermeer with his paintings?
2. Who wrestled Catharina to the ground?
3. Where is Griet standing when Tanneke approaches her?
(a) Her own home.
(b) A shop at the market.
(c) Butcher stall.
(d) Catharina's home.
4. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
(a) He changes the color of her head dress.
(b) He finishes the painting.
(c) He sees her hair.
(d) He pushes the earring into her ear.
5. What was the most important thing to Vermeer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the color of the second piece of fabric for Griet's hair?
2. Griet suspected that Catharina believed which of the following about her marriage?
3. Vermeer was using Griet for_____________.
4. In what way are Catharina and Griet similar at the end of the novel?
5. Where did Griet and Peter first kiss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
2. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
3. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
4. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
5. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
6. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
7. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
8. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
9. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
10. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)