|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Griet do after Catharina tried to attack the painting?
(a) She hid in the attic.
(b) She locked herself in the studio.
(c) She ran away from the house.
(d) She considered killing herself and then hides.
2. In what way are Catharina and Griet similar at the end of the novel?
(a) They are both rich.
(b) They are both victims.
(c) They are both happy.
(d) They are both angry.
3. What is the name of the child who recognizes Griet from the painting?
4. Who told Griet that Vermeer only saw the world as he wanted it to be?
(a) Van Leeuwenhoek.
5. What problem did Vermeer have with Griet?
(a) He can't find the right lighting for her face.
(b) He can't find a good hairstyle for her.
(c) He can't find the right pose for her.
(d) He can't find the right color for her clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of paintings did Griet's family say Vermeer paints?
2. Where did Pieter the Son show up uninvited, surprising Griet and her family?
3. What did Vermeer say about the role of religion in his paintings?
4. How did Vermeer feel about Griet posing for a picture for van Ruijven?
5. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
2. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
3. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
4. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
5. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
6. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
7. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
8. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
9. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
10. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)