|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Griet believe that the backlash from Catharina was not as intense as it should be?
(a) Catharina wants Griet to have an affair with Vermeer.
(b) Catharina no longer cares for her marriage.
(c) Catharina fears Griet.
(d) Catharina does not think Vermeer would ever have an affair.
2. What color is the mantle that Catharina wears?
3. When did Vermeer convert to his current religion?
(a) When he got married.
(b) When his mother died.
(c) When he was a child.
(d) When he had children.
4. To Griet, who was the person who has seen her most exposed?
5. In the portrait Vermeer paints of a maid for Van Ruijven, what was the woman doing?
(a) Sitting and writing.
(b) Feeding animals.
(c) Drinking wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Vermeer seem to want to protect Griet from the most?
2. What did Griet do after Catharina tried to attack the painting?
3. What did Griet's mother serve at dinner after church?
4. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
5. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
2. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
3. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
4. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
5. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
6. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
7. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
8. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
9. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
10. What was most important to Vermeer?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)