|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Pieter act toward Griet after they have sex?
(a) He became angry at her.
(b) He wanted to marry her.
(c) He ignored her.
(d) He pretended it never happened and continued courting her.
2. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
(a) Five years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) One year.
3. Which item was symbolic of Griet's fear of sexuality?
(a) Vermeer's paintings.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her skirts.
4. What was Catharina really angry about when she saw the portrait?
(a) The maid has worn her pearls.
(b) She has never been seen as beautiful.
(c) Griet is beautiful.
(d) Her husband is giving so much attention to Griet.
5. Who told Griet that there was something dangerous in Vermeer's paintings?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did the Vermeers have at the time Johannes died?
2. What did Vermeer say about the role of religion in his paintings?
3. What did Griet always keep hidden?
4. How many months before Tanneke approaches Griet did she hear that Vermeer had died?
5. Griet realized Catharina's hidden items were___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
2. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
3. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
4. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
5. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
6. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
7. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
8. How do the pearls show that Vermeer did not care about Griet?
9. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
10. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)