|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way are Catharina and Griet similar at the end of the novel?
(a) They are both happy.
(b) They are both rich.
(c) They are both angry.
(d) They are both victims.
2. When Vermeer worked on Griet's portrait, how many others was he also working on?
3. Whose clothes did Vermeer want Griet to wear for the portrait?
(b) Griet's mother's.
4. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
5. Who warned Griet not to get caught between Vermeer and van Ruijven?
(b) Van Leeuwenhoek.
(c) Griet's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
2. What is the name of the child who recognizes Griet from the painting?
3. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
4. In the portrait Vermeer paints of a maid for Van Ruijven, what was the woman doing?
5. What did Vermeer leave to Griet in his will?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
2. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
3. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
4. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
5. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
6. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
7. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
8. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
9. Did Pieter understand Griet?
10. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)