|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point did Griet know that Vermeer only saw her as being of artistic value?
(a) When she hears him talking to his wife.
(b) When she hears van Leeuwenhoek's advice.
(c) When she sees the finished portrait.
(d) When she uses the camera obscura.
2. Who told Catharina that Griet had been assisting Vermeer with his paintings?
3. Who secretly handed Griet the pearl earrings?
4. Where is Griet standing when Tanneke approaches her?
(a) Her own home.
(b) A shop at the market.
(c) Catharina's home.
(d) Butcher stall.
5. With what did Catharina attempt to attack the painting?
(a) Black paint.
(b) An axe.
(c) A glass of water.
(d) A knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of one of Griet's sons?
2. Vermeer was using Griet for_____________.
3. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
4. How much do the Vermeers owe Pieter?
5. For what was Cornelia punished?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
2. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
3. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
4. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
5. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
6. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
7. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
8. What was most important to Vermeer?
9. Does Griet love Pieter?
10. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)