|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Catharina's reaction to seeing the finished painting?
(a) She is embarrassed.
(b) She is sad.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is enraged.
2. Who would be in the portrait with Griet for van Ruijven?
(d) Van Ruijven's wife.
3. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
(a) He sees her hair.
(b) He finishes the painting.
(c) He pushes the earring into her ear.
(d) He changes the color of her head dress.
4. According to Griet's mother, what did Vermeer's paintings represent?
5. Whom did Vermeer seem to want to protect Griet from the most?
(d) Van Ruijven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Griet suspected that Catharina believed which of the following about her marriage?
2. Who beat Cornelia?
3. How much do the Vermeers owe Pieter?
4. What does Griet vow to do with the final coins from selling the earrings?
5. How did Griet feel about Vermeer's possession of her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
2. Did Pieter understand Griet?
3. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
4. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
5. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
6. How do the pearls show that Vermeer did not care about Griet?
7. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
8. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
9. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
10. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)