|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way was Pieter impatient with Griet?
2. According to Griet's mother, what did Vermeer's paintings represent?
3. What did Griet smell like when her parents become suspicious?
(c) Linseed oil.
4. What did Griet use to numb her ear?
(a) Clove oil
(c) Lavender oil.
(d) Cold meat.
5. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
(a) To show the death of a symbol.
(b) To tie up story lines.â€ƒ
(c) To show that Griet is happy Catharina is poor.
(d) To show how much Vermeer loved Griet.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Vermeer worked on Griet's portrait, how many others was he also working on?
2. What problem did Vermeer have with Griet?
3. What did Griet always keep hidden?
4. What is the name of one of Griet's sons?
5. Griet realized Catharina's hidden items were___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
2. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
3. How do the pearls show that Vermeer did not care about Griet?
4. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
5. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
6. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
7. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
8. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
9. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
10. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)