|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Griet believe that the backlash from Catharina was not as intense as it should be?
(a) Catharina fears Griet.
(b) Catharina wants Griet to have an affair with Vermeer.
(c) Catharina no longer cares for her marriage.
(d) Catharina does not think Vermeer would ever have an affair.
2. According to Griet's mother, what did Vermeer's paintings represent?
3. Whom did Vermeer seem to want to protect Griet from the most?
(a) Van Ruijven.
4. When Vermeer worked on Griet's portrait, how many others was he also working on?
5. For what was Cornelia punished?
(a) Talking back to her mother.
(c) Hitting Griet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
2. Which item was symbolic of Griet's fear of sexuality?
3. What kind of paintings did Griet's family say Vermeer paints?
4. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
5. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
2. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
3. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
4. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
5. What was most important to Vermeer?
6. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
7. How do the pearls show that Vermeer did not care about Griet?
8. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
9. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
10. Does Griet love Pieter?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)