|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem did Vermeer have with Griet?
(a) He can't find a good hairstyle for her.
(b) He can't find the right color for her clothing.
(c) He can't find the right pose for her.
(d) He can't find the right lighting for her face.
2. How did Pieter act toward Griet after they have sex?
(a) He became angry at her.
(b) He ignored her.
(c) He pretended it never happened and continued courting her.
(d) He wanted to marry her.
3. What did Vermeer leave to Griet in his will?
(a) Catharina's pearl earrings.
(b) The Vermeer home.
(c) His painting studio.
(d) Her portrait.
4. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
(a) Ten years.
(b) One year.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Five years.
5. When Vermeer worked on Griet's portrait, how many others was he also working on?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the executor of Vermeer's will?
2. Who began to distrust Griet with the jewelry box?
3. Griet realized Catharina's hidden items were___________.
4. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
5. Vermeer was using Griet for_____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
2. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
3. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
4. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
5. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
6. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
7. Does Griet love Pieter?
8. How do the pearls show that Vermeer did not care about Griet?
9. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
10. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)