|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Vermeer feel about Griet posing for a picture for van Ruijven?
(a) He does not like the idea but agrees to do it.
(b) He likes the idea but does not agree to do it.
(c) He likes the idea and agrees to do it.
(d) He does not like the idea and refuses to do it.
2. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
(a) A portrait.
(b) A paint brush.
(c) A ring.
(d) A hair comb.
3. Who beat Cornelia?
4. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
5. Why couldn't Griet confide her fears in Frans?
(a) He has moved away.
(b) He has run off to the sea.
(c) He has taken an apprenticeship far away.
(d) He is no longer speaking to Griet.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the portrait Vermeer paints of a maid for Van Ruijven, what was the woman doing?
2. How did Griet feel about Vermeer's possession of her?
3. Which character set herself up to be disappointed by Vermeer?
4. What was the color of one of the pieces of fabric Vermeer gave Griet to cover her hair in?
5. According to Griet's mother, what did Vermeer's paintings represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
2. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
3. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
4. Did Pieter understand Griet?
5. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
6. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
7. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
8. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
9. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
10. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)