|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told Griet that there was something dangerous in Vermeer's paintings?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
2. Catharina was willing to sell out the fidelity in her marriage for ___________.
3. Where did Griet and Peter first kiss?
4. What problem did Vermeer have with Griet?
(a) He can't find the right lighting for her face.
(b) He can't find the right color for her clothing.
(c) He can't find a good hairstyle for her.
(d) He can't find the right pose for her.
5. What does Griet vow to do with the final coins from selling the earrings?
(a) To save them for her children.
(b) To never spend them.
(c) To give them to Catharina.
(d) To spend them right away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vermeer was using Griet for_____________.
2. What did Pieter say that he thought would make Griet happy?
3. What did Catharina's attack on the painting ultimately lead to?
4. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
5. Who beat Cornelia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
2. What was most important to Vermeer?
3. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
4. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
5. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
6. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
7. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
8. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
9. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
10. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)