|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Van Ruijven impregnate?
(a) His maid.
(b) The butcher's wife.
(c) His wife's sister.
2. What did Griet's mother serve at dinner after church?
3. In what way was Pieter impatient with Griet?
4. Who secretly handed Griet the pearl earrings?
5. With what did Catharina attempt to attack the painting?
(a) Black paint.
(b) A knife.
(c) An axe.
(d) A glass of water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Pieter the Son show up uninvited, surprising Griet and her family?
2. What did Griet use to numb her ear?
3. Why did Catharina consider moving Griet from the attic room?
4. Who wrestled Catharina to the ground?
5. Whom did Griet stand in for as a model?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
2. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
3. Did Pieter understand Griet?
4. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
5. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
6. What was most important to Vermeer?
7. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
8. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
9. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
10. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)