|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Catharina really angry about when she saw the portrait?
(a) Her husband is giving so much attention to Griet.
(b) The maid has worn her pearls.
(c) She has never been seen as beautiful.
(d) Griet is beautiful.
2. Whom did Griet tell about Cornelia's plotting and scheming?
3. Where did Griet and Peter first kiss?
4. Who created a compromise for Catharina to trust that her jewelry box is safe?
5. In what way are Catharina and Griet similar at the end of the novel?
(a) They are both rich.
(b) They are both angry.
(c) They are both victims.
(d) They are both happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who placed the pearl earring into Griet's ear?
2. Who told Griet that there was something dangerous in Vermeer's paintings?
3. What problem did Vermeer have with Griet?
4. What did Maria suggest to Vermeer that he paint to make more money?
5. What did Griet's mother serve at dinner after church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
2. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
3. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
4. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
5. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
6. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
7. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
8. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
9. What was most important to Vermeer?
10. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)