|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Griet do after Catharina tried to attack the painting?
(a) She hid in the attic.
(b) She considered killing herself and then hides.
(c) She locked herself in the studio.
(d) She ran away from the house.
2. In the portrait Vermeer paints of a maid for Van Ruijven, what was the woman doing?
(a) Sitting and writing.
(b) Drinking wine.
(d) Feeding animals.
3. To Griet, who was the person who has seen her most exposed?
4. Vermeer was using Griet for_____________.
5. What did Maria suggest to Vermeer that he paint to make more money?
(a) Create a painting with larger subjects.
(b) Include more people in the painting.
(c) Use more color in the painting.
(d) Create a landscape instead of a portrait.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months before Tanneke approaches Griet did she hear that Vermeer had died?
2. How did Vermeer feel about Griet posing for a picture for van Ruijven?
3. Who wrestled Catharina to the ground?
4. For what was Cornelia punished?
5. Who warned Griet not to get caught between Vermeer and van Ruijven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
2. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
3. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
4. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
5. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
6. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
7. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
8. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
9. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
10. Did Pieter understand Griet?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)