|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color did Griet lay out for Vermeer to use on the butcher's daughter's skirt?
(d) A combination of many colors.
2. Why wasn't Griet allowed to visit her family?
(a) She might not return.
(b) She might bring the plague back with her.
(c) She might not work as well.
(d) She might die from the plague.
3. What was the name of the grandmother in the household?
4. According to Catharina, how did Vermeer feel about Griet's first cleaning of the studio?
(a) He is pleased.
(b) He is extremely angry.
(c) He is disappointed.
(d) He does not even notice it is clean.
5. What job did Griet's father do?
(b) Tile painter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main reason Griet's mother wanted Griet to marry Pieter?
2. According to Pieter the Son, who had fallen ill with the plague?
3. Who was the owner of Vermeer's painting of the lady at the window?
4. How many days did it take to prepare the celebration feast for the new baby?
5. Who caught Griet inspecting the wooden box?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
2. Who was Tanneke?
3. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
4. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
5. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
6. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
7. What did the splitting of the tile symbolize?
8. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
9. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
10. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)