|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Tanneke share a room?
(a) The children.
(d) The nurse.
2. Why wasn't Griet allowed to visit her family?
(a) She might not return.
(b) She might die from the plague.
(c) She might bring the plague back with her.
(d) She might not work as well.
3. What did Griet see in Vermeer's studio that allowed her to feel a deepening connection to him?
(a) His religious paintings.
(b) His painting set.
(c) Paintings of his children.
(d) His painting in progress.
4. From what perspective is the story told?
(a) First person, present tense.
(b) First person, past tense.
(c) Third person, present tense.
(d) Third person, past tense.
5. From Griet's perspective, Catholicism allowed for ___________________.
(a) Sexual deviancy.
(b) Less conservative behavior.
(c) No belief in God.
(d) More conservative behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Griet's younger sister when Griet left?
2. What does the "camera" symbolize?
3. At first, Vermeer told Griet the clouds were ____________.
4. What was the cause of death for Griet's sister?
5. Who was the owner of Vermeer's painting of the lady at the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
2. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
3. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
4. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
5. What connection did Griet and Vermeer have immediately?
6. Who was Van Ruijven?
7. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
8. How did Griet feel caught between two men?
9. Who was Cornelia Vermeer?
10. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)