|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Griet overstep her boundaries with Vermeer?
(a) She moved an important item.
(b) She asked him to paint her portrait.
(c) She questioned him.
(d) She looked at his paintings.
2. What did Vermeer grind to make paint?
(a) Vegetables and fruits.
(b) Animal horns.
3. What is the role of a maid in Griet's world?
(a) To ensure that her employers exercise good judgment.
(b) To remain unseen.
(c) To remain quiet and work.
(d) To become friends to the employers.
4. Who told Vermeer that he should paint Griet?
(a) Van Ruijven.
5. What did Griet do with her wages after her first week?
(a) She spends them on new clothing.
(b) She buys a visit to the doctor for her father.
(c) She gives them to her mother.
(d) She buys her family dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cause of death for Griet's sister?
2. What was the main reason Griet's mother wanted Griet to marry Pieter?
3. After the suggestion that he should paint Griet, how did Vermeer act toward her?
4. What difference did Griet see in the painting in progress?
5. How did Griet perceive her own vanity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Griet feel caught between two men?
2. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
3. Who was Van Ruijven?
4. What aspect of Tanneke's personality was Griet moved by?
5. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
6. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
7. Who was Pieter the Son?
8. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
9. Why did Griet need to keep her involvement with Vermeer's paintings a secret?
10. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)