|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month did Catharina send Griet to the apothecary for supplies for the sick boys?
2. What happened when Griet began to obsess about the plague?
(a) She was allowed to visit her family.
(b) Her work began to suffer.
(c) She was almost fired.
(d) She was forced to stay in her room.
3. How old was Griet when she moved in with the Vermeers?
4. What was the name of the grandmother in the household?
5. How did Griet perceive her own vanity?
(a) She is not naive enough to give in to vanity and beauty.
(b) She is a young lady and should take advantage of her beauty.
(c) She is too young to be so vain.
(d) She is a maid and should not feel any vanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What difference did Griet see in the painting in progress?
2. What religion were the Vermeers?
3. What was Griet doing when Vermeer walked in to the studio and seemed inexplicably taken with her?
4. When Catharina gave birth after the death of Griet's sister, what did she name her new son?
5. Griet's attic room was above __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
2. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
3. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
4. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
5. What role did Griet serve as a servant?
6. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
7. What aspect of Tanneke's personality was Griet moved by?
8. Why did Griet need to keep her involvement with Vermeer's paintings a secret?
9. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
10. Who was Tanneke?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)