|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Griet learn about the Vermeer family as she began her second week at work?
(a) They are short on money.
(b) Catherina and Johannes do not love each other.
(c) They are not very smart.
(d) They are living off of Catherina's mother's money.
2. Who told Vermeer that he should paint Griet?
(b) Van Ruijven.
3. When was Griet allowed to completely clean the studio?
(a) When Vermeer's painting was finished.
(b) When Vermeer's paintings were sold.
(c) When Vermeer was on a trip.
(d) When she was ordered by Catharina to do it out of spite.
4. What is the name of the item that reversed the image of a painting into a mirror?
(a) Camera larga.
(b) Camera minusca.
(c) Camera miniature.
(d) Camera obscura.
5. How did the pregnant woman react to her husband's attention spent on Griet?
(a) She does not seem to notice.
(b) She is annoyed.
(c) She seems relieved.
(d) She notices but ignores it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room was Griet to be in charge of cleaning without appearing to have moved anything?
2. According to Catharina, how did Vermeer feel about Griet's first cleaning of the studio?
3. Why was Griet unable to sleep on her first night in the new home?
4. How old was Griet when she moved in with the Vermeers?
5. What did Catharina keep in the studio that needed to be locked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
2. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
3. Why did Griet need to keep her involvement with Vermeer's paintings a secret?
4. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
5. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
6. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
7. Who was Pieter the Son?
8. What role did competition play in Griet's time at the Vermeer home?
9. What aspect of Tanneke's personality was Griet moved by?
10. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)