|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Griet's sister's death symbolize?
(a) The death of vanity and art in Griet's life.
(b) The death of happiness for the Vermeers.
(c) The death of family ties for Griet.
(d) The death of love for Griet.
2. What is the name of the item that reversed the image of a painting into a mirror?
(a) Camera minusca.
(b) Camera larga.
(c) Camera miniature.
(d) Camera obscura.
3. With whom did Tanneke share a room?
(a) The children.
(c) The nurse.
4. What is the role of a maid in Griet's world?
(a) To ensure that her employers exercise good judgment.
(b) To remain quiet and work.
(c) To become friends to the employers.
(d) To remain unseen.
5. What was the name of the Vermeers' butcher?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the suggestion that he should paint Griet, how did Vermeer act toward her?
2. What did Catharina want Johannes to do for the family to get more money?
3. What job did Griet's father do?
4. From what perspective is the story told?
5. When Griet saw herself in Vermeer's mirror, what did she think of herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection did Griet and Vermeer have immediately?
2. Who was Van Ruijven?
3. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
4. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
5. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
6. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
7. Who was Tanneke?
8. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
9. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
10. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)