|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why wasn't Griet allowed to visit her family?
(a) She might not return.
(b) She might die from the plague.
(c) She might not work as well.
(d) She might bring the plague back with her.
2. According to Pieter the Son, who had fallen ill with the plague?
(a) Griet's mother.
(b) Griet's sister.
(c) Griet's father.
(d) Griet's brother.
3. How did Griet's family react to the death of the youngest daughter?
(a) They continue living normally out of shock.
(b) They recover quickly.
(c) They are so divided they do not all know about her death.
(d) They never recover from the loss.
4. Whom did Griet find to tell that her sister was sick?
(b) Pieter the Son.
5. What did Griet see in Vermeer's studio that allowed her to feel a deepening connection to him?
(a) His painting in progress.
(b) Paintings of his children.
(c) His religious paintings.
(d) His painting set.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Griet's first chore at her new home?
2. Where did Frans go to start an apprenticeship?
3. What difference did Griet see in the painting in progress?
4. Who was the only one to speak kindly to Griet after her sister died?
5. What was the name of the girl who followed Griet to the canal to fetch water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
2. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
3. What kind of pressure was Vermeer under?
4. What aspect of Tanneke's personality was Griet moved by?
5. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
6. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
7. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
8. What role did Griet serve as a servant?
9. What connection did Griet and Vermeer have immediately?
10. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)