|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the role of a maid in Griet's world?
(a) To ensure that her employers exercise good judgment.
(b) To remain unseen.
(c) To remain quiet and work.
(d) To become friends to the employers.
2. What did Griet think about the box Vermeer used when painting?
(a) She pretended that it did not exist.
(b) She found it amazing and beneficial.
(c) She wanted to use it herself.
(d) She believed it to be witchcraft and was scared.
3. What color did Cornelia smear on Griet's apron?
4. Griet's attic room was above __________.
(a) The study.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The children's room.
(d) The studio.
5. How many butchers were there in Market Square?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "camera" symbolize?
2. What was Griet doing when Vermeer walked in to the studio and seemed inexplicably taken with her?
3. How did the pregnant woman react to her husband's attention spent on Griet?
4. Who was Griet's younger sister?
5. What was Griet's first chore at her new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
2. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
3. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
4. What role did competition play in Griet's time at the Vermeer home?
5. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
6. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
7. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
8. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
9. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
10. Does Griet love Pieter?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)