|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Griet unable to sleep on her first night in the new home?
(a) A crucifix painting disturbed her.
(b) She was nervous about her next day of work.
(c) She had too much work to do.
(d) Cornelia was noisy.
2. What was the name of the grandmother in the household?
3. Who caught Griet inspecting the wooden box?
4. What color did Griet lay out for Vermeer to use on the butcher's daughter's skirt?
(c) A combination of many colors.
5. Whom did Tanneke jump in front of when Catharina was being hit?
(a) Catharina's brother.
(c) Vermeer's brother.
(d) Catharina's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Griet allowed to completely clean the studio?
2. What was the name of the head maid in Griet's new home?
3. What did Griet learn about the Vermeer family as she began her second week at work?
4. What is the role of a maid in Griet's world?
5. What happened when Griet began to obsess about the plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
2. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
3. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
4. What did the splitting of the tile symbolize?
5. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
6. Who was Van Ruijven?
7. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
8. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
9. What aspect of Tanneke's personality was Griet moved by?
10. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)