|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Griet was raised as a ____________.
2. What did Griet think about the box Vermeer used when painting?
(a) She found it amazing and beneficial.
(b) She wanted to use it herself.
(c) She pretended that it did not exist.
(d) She believed it to be witchcraft and was scared.
3. What job did Griet's father do?
(c) Tile painter.
4. What did Catharina want Johannes to do for the family to get more money?
(a) Paint faster.
(b) Work at the butcher shop.
(c) Sell portraits on the streets.
(d) Get a job in tile painting.
5. Why wasn't Griet allowed to visit her family?
(a) She might not return.
(b) She might not work as well.
(c) She might die from the plague.
(d) She might bring the plague back with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did it seem that Vermeer was competing with most when it came to Griet?
2. How many butchers were there in Market Square?
3. What did Vermeer grind to make paint?
4. Who or what was on the tile that Griet's father gave her?
5. What did Griet see in Vermeer's studio that allowed her to feel a deepening connection to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
2. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
3. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
4. What kind of pressure was Vermeer under?
5. Who was Tanneke?
6. What role did competition play in Griet's time at the Vermeer home?
7. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
8. Who was Cornelia Vermeer?
9. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
10. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)