|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the opening of the novel, what was Griet doing?
(a) Feeding farm animals.
(b) Washing laundry.
(c) Chopping vegetables.
(d) Watching after children.
2. What was the name of the grandmother in the household?
3. Who broke Griet's favorite tile?
4. When was Griet allowed to completely clean the studio?
(a) When Vermeer was on a trip.
(b) When she was ordered by Catharina to do it out of spite.
(c) When Vermeer's painting was finished.
(d) When Vermeer's paintings were sold.
5. When Griet arrived home after the plague, where did her parents sit to meet her?
(a) Near the River.
(b) On the porch.
(c) Huddled around a fire in the kitchen.
(d) In the living room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Griet perceive her own vanity?
2. Where did Frans go to start an apprenticeship?
3. From Griet's perspective, Catholicism allowed for ___________________.
4. When Catharina gave birth after the death of Griet's sister, what did she name her new son?
5. What did Griet think about the box Vermeer used when painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
2. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
3. What role does the theme of life and death play in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
4. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
5. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
6. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
7. What kind of pressure was Vermeer under?
8. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
9. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
10. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)