|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the owner of Vermeer's painting of the lady at the window?
(a) Van Burne.
(b) Van Ruijven.
(c) Van Andelyn.
(d) Van Amberson.
2. What was the main reason Griet's mother wanted Griet to marry Pieter?
(a) She wanted food.
(b) She thought Griet would be happy with him.
(c) She wanted to see Griet unahppy.
(d) She wanted money.
3. At the opening of the novel, what was Griet doing?
(a) Washing laundry.
(b) Watching after children.
(c) Feeding farm animals.
(d) Chopping vegetables.
4. Who or what was on the tile that Griet's father gave her?
(a) A home.
(b) An empty field.
(c) A boy and a girl.
(d) A store.
5. What job did Griet's father do?
(d) Tile painter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watched Griet with a smirk as she almost touched the pearls sitting out in the studio?
2. What is the name of the item that reversed the image of a painting into a mirror?
3. What does the "camera" symbolize?
4. How did Griet perceive her own vanity?
5. What was the only piece in the studio that Griet did not clean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
2. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
3. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
4. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
5. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
6. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
7. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
8. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
9. Who was Tanneke?
10. What did the splitting of the tile symbolize?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)