|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Griet unable to sleep on her first night in the new home?
(a) She had too much work to do.
(b) Cornelia was noisy.
(c) She was nervous about her next day of work.
(d) A crucifix painting disturbed her.
2. Who punched Griet in the stomach?
3. What is the role of a maid in Griet's world?
(a) To remain quiet and work.
(b) To remain unseen.
(c) To ensure that her employers exercise good judgment.
(d) To become friends to the employers.
4. Who broke Griet's favorite tile?
5. Who was the only one to speak kindly to Griet after her sister died?
6. How did Griet overstep her boundaries with Vermeer?
(a) She moved an important item.
(b) She asked him to paint her portrait.
(c) She looked at his paintings.
(d) She questioned him.
7. Where did Frans go to start an apprenticeship?
(a) Art studio.
(c) Tile factory.
8. What did Griet see in Vermeer's studio that allowed her to feel a deepening connection to him?
(a) His religious paintings.
(b) His painting in progress.
(c) His painting set.
(d) Paintings of his children.
9. What was the name of the head maid in Griet's new home?
10. What did Griet think about the box Vermeer used when painting?
(a) She found it amazing and beneficial.
(b) She believed it to be witchcraft and was scared.
(c) She wanted to use it herself.
(d) She pretended that it did not exist.
11. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what kind of life would she be choosing?
(b) Stable domestic life.
(c) Life of vanity and beauty.
(d) Nomadic life.
12. At the opening of the novel, what was Griet doing?
(a) Watching after children.
(b) Chopping vegetables.
(c) Washing laundry.
(d) Feeding farm animals.
13. Griet knew that ________ was going to be trouble for her.
14. From what perspective is the story told?
(a) First person, past tense.
(b) Third person, present tense.
(c) First person, present tense.
(d) Third person, past tense.
15. What color did Vermeer say the clouds were when the clouds worked together?
Short Answer Questions
1. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what would she lose?
2. On what day did Griet return home for her first day off since moving away?
3. What food did Vermeer and Griet bond over initially?
4. What did Catharina break that once belonged to van Leeuwenhoek?
5. What color did Cornelia smear on Griet's apron?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)