|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion were the Vermeers?
2. What is the name of the item that reversed the image of a painting into a mirror?
(a) Camera minusca.
(b) Camera miniature.
(c) Camera larga.
(d) Camera obscura.
3. Who was the only one to speak kindly to Griet after her sister died?
4. Whom did Tanneke jump in front of when Catharina was being hit?
(a) Catharina's father.
(c) Catharina's brother.
(d) Vermeer's brother.
5. When Griet saw herself in Vermeer's mirror, what did she think of herself?
(a) She was ugly.
(b) She was too thin.
(c) She was beautiful.
(d) She was overweight.
6. How many days did it take to prepare the celebration feast for the new baby?
(a) Two days.
(b) Eight days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Five days.
7. Who caught Griet inspecting the wooden box?
8. What was the name of the grandmother in the household?
9. Who or what was on the tile that Griet's father gave her?
(a) A home.
(b) A boy and a girl.
(c) An empty field.
(d) A store.
10. At the opening of the novel, what was Griet doing?
(a) Watching after children.
(b) Chopping vegetables.
(c) Washing laundry.
(d) Feeding farm animals.
11. What was the name of the Vermeers' butcher?
12. What side story was meant to highlight the complexity of Griet's move to the Vermeer home?
(a) The plague's effects on the town.
(b) Griet's vanity.
(c) The death of Griet's sister.
(d) Griet's frequent trips to visit her brother.
13. How many butchers were there in Market Square?
14. How did Griet's family react to the death of the youngest daughter?
(a) They continue living normally out of shock.
(b) They are so divided they do not all know about her death.
(c) They never recover from the loss.
(d) They recover quickly.
15. Griet was raised as a ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the suggestion that he should paint Griet, how did Vermeer act toward her?
2. Where did Griet learn she would be sleeping in her new home?
3. According to Catharina, how did Vermeer feel about Griet's first cleaning of the studio?
4. According to Pieter the Son, who had fallen ill with the plague?
5. What was Griet able to tell about the visitors just from the timbre of their voices?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)