|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who caught Griet inspecting the wooden box?
2. When Pieter the Son came to visit Griet, whom did she feel watching them?
3. What job did Griet's father do?
(d) Tile painter.
4. What did Catharina break that once belonged to van Leeuwenhoek?
(a) A telescope.
(b) A camera.
(c) A cup.
(d) A box.
5. How old was Griet's younger sister when Griet left?
6. How old was Griet when she moved in with the Vermeers?
7. What was Griet able to tell about the visitors just from the timbre of their voices?
(a) They are intelligent.
(b) They are mean.
(c) They are rich.
(d) They are sympathetic to her plight.
8. How many butchers were there in Market Square?
9. With whom did Tanneke share a room?
(b) The nurse.
(c) The children.
10. What religion were the Vermeers?
11. Who or what was on the tile that Griet's father gave her?
(a) A boy and a girl.
(b) A home.
(c) A store.
(d) An empty field.
12. What did Griet see in Vermeer's studio that allowed her to feel a deepening connection to him?
(a) His religious paintings.
(b) His painting set.
(c) His painting in progress.
(d) Paintings of his children.
13. Whom did it seem that Vermeer was competing with most when it came to Griet?
(a) Van Ruijven.
(d) Pieter the Son.
14. Griet's attic room was above __________.
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The children's room.
(c) The study.
(d) The studio.
15. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what would she lose?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the head maid in Griet's new home?
2. Griet knew that ________ was going to be trouble for her.
3. What was the name of the Vermeers' butcher?
4. What was Griet doing when Vermeer walked in to the studio and seemed inexplicably taken with her?
5. Why was Griet unable to sleep on her first night in the new home?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)