|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days did it take to prepare the celebration feast for the new baby?
(a) Two days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Eight days.
2. What did Vermeer grind to make paint?
(c) Vegetables and fruits.
(d) Animal horns.
3. What did Griet do with her wages after her first week?
(a) She spends them on new clothing.
(b) She gives them to her mother.
(c) She buys her family dinner.
(d) She buys a visit to the doctor for her father.
4. Whom did it seem that Vermeer was competing with most when it came to Griet?
(a) Pieter the Son.
(b) Van Ruijven.
5. How did Griet's mother want Griet to respond to the butcher's son?
(a) To encourage him to marry her right away.
(b) To pretend that she does not understand his advances.
(c) To welcome his attention.
(d) To ignore his attention.
6. At Griet's family's home, what was the usual dinner?
7. What did Griet think about Pieter the Son?
(a) They will never see each other again.
(b) Their lives will become intertwined.
(c) They are going to fall in love.
(d) They are going to become enemies.
8. What was Griet able to tell about the visitors just from the timbre of their voices?
(a) They are mean.
(b) They are intelligent.
(c) They are rich.
(d) They are sympathetic to her plight.
9. What difference did Griet see in the painting in progress?
(a) An extra person has been added.
(b) An extra window has been added to a building.
(c) An extra flowers has been added to a vase.
(d) An extra pearl has been added to a necklace.
10. What aspect of Tanneke's personality moved Griet after she talked to Pieter?
11. According to Pieter the Son, who had fallen ill with the plague?
(a) Griet's father.
(b) Griet's mother.
(c) Griet's brother.
(d) Griet's sister.
12. When was Griet allowed to completely clean the studio?
(a) When Vermeer was on a trip.
(b) When she was ordered by Catharina to do it out of spite.
(c) When Vermeer's paintings were sold.
(d) When Vermeer's painting was finished.
13. What did Griet see in Vermeer's studio that allowed her to feel a deepening connection to him?
(a) His religious paintings.
(b) His painting set.
(c) His painting in progress.
(d) Paintings of his children.
14. At the opening of the novel, what was Griet doing?
(a) Watching after children.
(b) Feeding farm animals.
(c) Chopping vegetables.
(d) Washing laundry.
15. At first, Vermeer told Griet the clouds were ____________.
(a) A combination of many colors.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the suggestion that he should paint Griet, how did Vermeer act toward her?
2. What is the role of a maid in Griet's world?
3. Whom did Griet find to tell that her sister was sick?
4. What is the name of the item that reversed the image of a painting into a mirror?
5. What happened when Griet began to obsess about the plague?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)