|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the opening of the novel, what was Griet doing?
(a) Chopping vegetables.
(b) Watching after children.
(c) Feeding farm animals.
(d) Washing laundry.
2. What did Vermeer grind to make paint?
(c) Animal horns.
(d) Vegetables and fruits.
3. What was the name of the grandmother in the household?
4. What did Griet do with her wages after her first week?
(a) She buys her family dinner.
(b) She gives them to her mother.
(c) She spends them on new clothing.
(d) She buys a visit to the doctor for her father.
5. What was the name of the Vermeers' butcher?
6. Who or what was on the tile that Griet's father gave her?
(a) A home.
(b) A store.
(c) An empty field.
(d) A boy and a girl.
7. What did Griet think about the box Vermeer used when painting?
(a) She found it amazing and beneficial.
(b) She believed it to be witchcraft and was scared.
(c) She wanted to use it herself.
(d) She pretended that it did not exist.
8. The plague had been found near the __________________.
(a) Riverdale Canal.
(b) Rietveld Canal.
(c) Crutchet Canal.
(d) Geoff Canal.
9. What color did Griet lay out for Vermeer to use on the butcher's daughter's skirt?
(d) A combination of many colors.
10. When Griet saw herself in Vermeer's mirror, what did she think of herself?
(a) She was too thin.
(b) She was beautiful.
(c) She was overweight.
(d) She was ugly.
11. How did Griet's family react to the death of the youngest daughter?
(a) They are so divided they do not all know about her death.
(b) They continue living normally out of shock.
(c) They never recover from the loss.
(d) They recover quickly.
12. According to Pieter the Son, who had fallen ill with the plague?
(a) Griet's brother.
(b) Griet's father.
(c) Griet's mother.
(d) Griet's sister.
13. Who broke Griet's favorite tile?
14. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what would she lose?
15. What did Pieter the Son give Griet to take to her family?
(a) Some money.
(b) A package of meat.
(c) A bag of vegetables.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Frans go to start an apprenticeship?
2. According to Catharina, how did Vermeer feel about Griet's first cleaning of the studio?
3. How many butchers were there in Market Square?
4. In what month did Catharina send Griet to the apothecary for supplies for the sick boys?
5. Why wasn't Griet allowed to visit her family?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)