|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The plague had been found near the __________________.
(a) Geoff Canal.
(b) Crutchet Canal.
(c) Riverdale Canal.
(d) Rietveld Canal.
2. What was the butcher's daughter doing in Vermeer's new painting?
(a) Pouring water into a basin.
(b) Packaging meat.
(c) Cutting meat.
(d) Cleaning up blood.
3. How did Griet perceive her own vanity?
(a) She is a young lady and should take advantage of her beauty.
(b) She is not naive enough to give in to vanity and beauty.
(c) She is too young to be so vain.
(d) She is a maid and should not feel any vanity.
4. Who was the owner of Vermeer's painting of the lady at the window?
(a) Van Ruijven.
(b) Van Burne.
(c) Van Amberson.
(d) Van Andelyn.
5. Why was Griet unable to sleep on her first night in the new home?
(a) She had too much work to do.
(b) Cornelia was noisy.
(c) A crucifix painting disturbed her.
(d) She was nervous about her next day of work.
6. When Catharina gave birth after the death of Griet's sister, what did she name her new son?
7. What was the name of the grandmother in the household?
8. When Pieter the Son came to visit Griet, whom did she feel watching them?
9. In what month did Catharina send Griet to the apothecary for supplies for the sick boys?
10. What was Griet able to tell about the visitors just from the timbre of their voices?
(a) They are sympathetic to her plight.
(b) They are intelligent.
(c) They are rich.
(d) They are mean.
11. What job did Griet's father do?
(a) Tile painter.
12. What did Griet do with her wages after her first week?
(a) She buys her family dinner.
(b) She gives them to her mother.
(c) She buys a visit to the doctor for her father.
(d) She spends them on new clothing.
13. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what kind of life would she be choosing?
(a) Stable domestic life.
(b) Nomadic life.
(d) Life of vanity and beauty.
14. From what perspective is the story told?
(a) First person, present tense.
(b) First person, past tense.
(c) Third person, present tense.
(d) Third person, past tense.
15. What color did Vermeer say the clouds were when the clouds worked together?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Pieter the Son, who had fallen ill with the plague?
2. What did Catharina want Johannes to do for the family to get more money?
3. At first, Vermeer told Griet the clouds were ____________.
4. How did the pregnant woman react to her husband's attention spent on Griet?
5. Griet thinks that her own best feature is __________.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)