|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vermeer grind to make paint?
(a) Vegetables and fruits.
(b) Animal horns.
2. What was Griet doing when Vermeer walked in to the studio and seemed inexplicably taken with her?
(a) Washing windows.
(c) Arranging furniture.
(d) Sweeping the floor.
3. At the opening of the novel, what was Griet doing?
(a) Chopping vegetables.
(b) Watching after children.
(c) Washing laundry.
(d) Feeding farm animals.
4. What color did Griet lay out for Vermeer to use on the butcher's daughter's skirt?
(c) A combination of many colors.
5. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what would she lose?
6. What did Griet learn about the Vermeer family as she began her second week at work?
(a) Catherina and Johannes do not love each other.
(b) They are living off of Catherina's mother's money.
(c) They are not very smart.
(d) They are short on money.
7. Who was Griet's younger sister?
8. What food did Vermeer and Griet bond over initially?
(b) Fruit slices.
(c) Salad vegetables.
(d) Stew vegetables.
9. Who was the only one to speak kindly to Griet after her sister died?
10. Why was Griet unable to sleep on her first night in the new home?
(a) She was nervous about her next day of work.
(b) She had too much work to do.
(c) Cornelia was noisy.
(d) A crucifix painting disturbed her.
11. What religion were the Vermeers?
12. At first, Vermeer told Griet the clouds were ____________.
(d) A combination of many colors.
13. What was the main reason Griet's mother wanted Griet to marry Pieter?
(a) She wanted food.
(b) She wanted money.
(c) She thought Griet would be happy with him.
(d) She wanted to see Griet unahppy.
14. What was the only piece in the studio that Griet did not clean?
(a) A door knob.
(b) A canister of paints.
(c) A blue ball of fabric.
(d) A window sill.
15. What did Catharina want Johannes to do for the family to get more money?
(a) Work at the butcher shop.
(b) Sell portraits on the streets.
(c) Paint faster.
(d) Get a job in tile painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color did Vermeer say the clouds were when the clouds worked together?
2. After the suggestion that he should paint Griet, how did Vermeer act toward her?
3. Why wasn't Griet allowed to visit her family?
4. From what perspective is the story told?
5. How did Griet's family react to the death of the youngest daughter?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)