|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Griet arrived home after the plague, where did her parents sit to meet her?
(a) Near the River.
(b) On the porch.
(c) Huddled around a fire in the kitchen.
(d) In the living room.
2. What side story was meant to highlight the complexity of Griet's move to the Vermeer home?
(a) Griet's vanity.
(b) The plague's effects on the town.
(c) The death of Griet's sister.
(d) Griet's frequent trips to visit her brother.
3. Griet knew that ________ was going to be trouble for her.
4. What happened when Griet began to obsess about the plague?
(a) She was forced to stay in her room.
(b) She was almost fired.
(c) Her work began to suffer.
(d) She was allowed to visit her family.
5. Who broke Griet's favorite tile?
6. Griet's attic room was above __________.
(a) The children's room.
(b) The study.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The studio.
7. What was the name of the head maid in Griet's new home?
8. After the suggestion that he should paint Griet, how did Vermeer act toward her?
9. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what kind of life would she be choosing?
(a) Nomadic life.
(b) Life of vanity and beauty.
(c) Stable domestic life.
10. In what month did Catharina send Griet to the apothecary for supplies for the sick boys?
11. How did Griet perceive her own vanity?
(a) She is not naive enough to give in to vanity and beauty.
(b) She is too young to be so vain.
(c) She is a young lady and should take advantage of her beauty.
(d) She is a maid and should not feel any vanity.
12. What was the only piece in the studio that Griet did not clean?
(a) A canister of paints.
(b) A door knob.
(c) A window sill.
(d) A blue ball of fabric.
13. Whom did Tanneke jump in front of when Catharina was being hit?
(a) Vermeer's brother.
(c) Catharina's father.
(d) Catharina's brother.
14. Whom did Cornelia most resemble?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
15. Why wasn't Griet allowed to visit her family?
(a) She might not return.
(b) She might bring the plague back with her.
(c) She might die from the plague.
(d) She might not work as well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of Tanneke's personality moved Griet after she talked to Pieter?
2. What did Catharina break that once belonged to van Leeuwenhoek?
3. What is the role of a maid in Griet's world?
4. What color did Griet lay out for Vermeer to use on the butcher's daughter's skirt?
5. From what perspective is the story told?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)