|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Tanneke jump in front of when Catharina was being hit?
(a) Catharina's brother.
(b) Catharina's father.
(d) Vermeer's brother.
2. How did Griet's mother want Griet to respond to the butcher's son?
(a) To encourage him to marry her right away.
(b) To pretend that she does not understand his advances.
(c) To welcome his attention.
(d) To ignore his attention.
3. Why wasn't Griet allowed to visit her family?
(a) She might die from the plague.
(b) She might not work as well.
(c) She might bring the plague back with her.
(d) She might not return.
4. What side story was meant to highlight the complexity of Griet's move to the Vermeer home?
(a) Griet's vanity.
(b) Griet's frequent trips to visit her brother.
(c) The plague's effects on the town.
(d) The death of Griet's sister.
5. What is the name of the item that reversed the image of a painting into a mirror?
(a) Camera larga.
(b) Camera obscura.
(c) Camera miniature.
(d) Camera minusca.
6. Whom did Cornelia most resemble?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her grandmother.
7. What drink was served for dinner at Griet's new home?
(b) Apple juice.
8. Who was Griet's younger sister?
9. With whom did Tanneke share a room?
(a) The children.
(d) The nurse.
10. Who watched Griet with a smirk as she almost touched the pearls sitting out in the studio?
11. What did Griet see in Vermeer's studio that allowed her to feel a deepening connection to him?
(a) His painting set.
(b) Paintings of his children.
(c) His painting in progress.
(d) His religious paintings.
12. What was the main reason Griet's mother wanted Griet to marry Pieter?
(a) She thought Griet would be happy with him.
(b) She wanted food.
(c) She wanted to see Griet unahppy.
(d) She wanted money.
13. How old was Griet's younger sister when Griet left?
14. What was the name of the girl who followed Griet to the canal to fetch water?
15. How many days did it take to prepare the celebration feast for the new baby?
(a) Five days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Ten days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the pregnant woman react to her husband's attention spent on Griet?
2. What aspect of Tanneke's personality moved Griet after she talked to Pieter?
3. What did Griet's sister's death symbolize?
4. At Griet's family's home, what was the usual dinner?
5. In what month did Catharina send Griet to the apothecary for supplies for the sick boys?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)