|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Pieter the Son, who had fallen ill with the plague?
(a) Griet's mother.
(b) Griet's brother.
(c) Griet's sister.
(d) Griet's father.
2. According to Catharina, how did Vermeer feel about Griet's first cleaning of the studio?
(a) He is extremely angry.
(b) He does not even notice it is clean.
(c) He is disappointed.
(d) He is pleased.
3. What was Griet's first chore at her new home?
4. Who or what was on the tile that Griet's father gave her?
(a) A boy and a girl.
(b) A home.
(c) A store.
(d) An empty field.
5. What was the butcher's daughter doing in Vermeer's new painting?
(a) Pouring water into a basin.
(b) Packaging meat.
(c) Cleaning up blood.
(d) Cutting meat.
6. What aspect of Tanneke's personality moved Griet after she talked to Pieter?
7. Who was the only one to speak kindly to Griet after her sister died?
8. What color did Vermeer say the clouds were when the clouds worked together?
9. What was the name of the girl who followed Griet to the canal to fetch water?
10. How many days did it take to prepare the celebration feast for the new baby?
(a) Five days.
(b) Eight days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Two days.
11. What was the main reason Griet's mother wanted Griet to marry Pieter?
(a) She thought Griet would be happy with him.
(b) She wanted money.
(c) She wanted food.
(d) She wanted to see Griet unahppy.
12. When Griet arrived home after the plague, where did her parents sit to meet her?
(a) Huddled around a fire in the kitchen.
(b) On the porch.
(c) In the living room.
(d) Near the River.
13. Who watched Griet with a smirk as she almost touched the pearls sitting out in the studio?
14. How many butchers were there in Market Square?
15. What drink was served for dinner at Griet's new home?
(d) Apple juice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Griet learn she would be sleeping in her new home?
2. What was the only piece in the studio that Griet did not clean?
3. Who was the main secret keeper for Griet helping Vermeer?
4. What was Griet doing when Vermeer walked in to the studio and seemed inexplicably taken with her?
5. What was Griet able to tell about the visitors just from the timbre of their voices?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)