|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Griet bond with most before beginning work at her new home?
2. How old was Griet when she moved in with the Vermeers?
3. Griet's attic room was above __________.
(a) The children's room.
(b) The studio.
(c) The study.
(d) The kitchen.
4. What did Griet's sister's death symbolize?
(a) The death of happiness for the Vermeers.
(b) The death of love for Griet.
(c) The death of family ties for Griet.
(d) The death of vanity and art in Griet's life.
5. Who caught Griet inspecting the wooden box?
6. When Griet arrived home after the plague, where did her parents sit to meet her?
(a) In the living room.
(b) On the porch.
(c) Near the River.
(d) Huddled around a fire in the kitchen.
7. How many days did it take to prepare the celebration feast for the new baby?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Two days.
8. When was Griet allowed to completely clean the studio?
(a) When Vermeer was on a trip.
(b) When Vermeer's paintings were sold.
(c) When she was ordered by Catharina to do it out of spite.
(d) When Vermeer's painting was finished.
9. With whom did Tanneke share a room?
(a) The children.
(c) The nurse.
10. What is the name of the item that reversed the image of a painting into a mirror?
(a) Camera minusca.
(b) Camera miniature.
(c) Camera obscura.
(d) Camera larga.
11. What was the cause of death for Griet's sister?
(d) Black Plague.
12. Griet thinks that her own best feature is __________.
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her nose.
(c) Her cheeks.
(d) Her eyes.
13. How did Griet overstep her boundaries with Vermeer?
(a) She asked him to paint her portrait.
(b) She questioned him.
(c) She moved an important item.
(d) She looked at his paintings.
14. Who was the owner of Vermeer's painting of the lady at the window?
(a) Van Ruijven.
(b) Van Andelyn.
(c) Van Burne.
(d) Van Amberson.
15. When Pieter the Son came to visit Griet, whom did she feel watching them?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what was on the tile that Griet's father gave her?
2. Why wasn't Griet allowed to visit her family?
3. What was Griet able to tell about the visitors just from the timbre of their voices?
4. What was the butcher's daughter doing in Vermeer's new painting?
5. Why was Griet unable to sleep on her first night in the new home?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)