|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Griet's mother want Griet to respond to the butcher's son?
(a) To ignore his attention.
(b) To pretend that she does not understand his advances.
(c) To encourage him to marry her right away.
(d) To welcome his attention.
2. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what would she lose?
3. How many days did it take to prepare the celebration feast for the new baby?
(a) Five days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Eight days.
4. What was the name of the Vermeers' butcher?
5. Griet knew that ________ was going to be trouble for her.
6. What did Vermeer grind to make paint?
(a) Animal horns.
(b) Vegetables and fruits.
7. How old was Griet's younger sister when Griet left?
8. Griet's attic room was above __________.
(a) The studio.
(b) The study.
(c) The children's room.
(d) The kitchen.
9. What was the name of the head maid in Griet's new home?
10. After the suggestion that he should paint Griet, how did Vermeer act toward her?
11. Who told Vermeer that he should paint Griet?
(a) Van Ruijven.
12. Why wasn't Griet allowed to visit her family?
(a) She might not return.
(b) She might die from the plague.
(c) She might bring the plague back with her.
(d) She might not work as well.
13. From Griet's perspective, Catholicism allowed for ___________________.
(a) Sexual deviancy.
(b) Less conservative behavior.
(c) No belief in God.
(d) More conservative behavior.
14. What did Griet see in Vermeer's studio that allowed her to feel a deepening connection to him?
(a) Paintings of his children.
(b) His religious paintings.
(c) His painting set.
(d) His painting in progress.
15. How did the pregnant woman react to her husband's attention spent on Griet?
(a) She is annoyed.
(b) She does not seem to notice.
(c) She seems relieved.
(d) She notices but ignores it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the girl who followed Griet to the canal to fetch water?
2. According to Catharina, how did Vermeer feel about Griet's first cleaning of the studio?
3. When Pieter the Son came to visit Griet, whom did she feel watching them?
4. Whom did it seem that Vermeer was competing with most when it came to Griet?
5. What was the butcher's daughter doing in Vermeer's new painting?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)