|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Catharina gave birth after the death of Griet's sister, what did she name her new son?
2. What does the "camera" symbolize?
(a) The way Vermeer sees the world.
(b) The way Griet views Vermeer.
(c) The way Vermeer represents immorality.
(d) The way Vermeer idealizes technology.
3. Griet thinks that her own best feature is __________.
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her cheeks.
(c) Her nose.
(d) Her eyes.
4. What did Griet do with her wages after her first week?
(a) She gives them to her mother.
(b) She buys her family dinner.
(c) She buys a visit to the doctor for her father.
(d) She spends them on new clothing.
5. What did Catharina break that once belonged to van Leeuwenhoek?
(a) A camera.
(b) A box.
(c) A cup.
(d) A telescope.
6. How did Griet's mother want Griet to respond to the butcher's son?
(a) To pretend that she does not understand his advances.
(b) To welcome his attention.
(c) To encourage him to marry her right away.
(d) To ignore his attention.
7. When Pieter the Son came to visit Griet, whom did she feel watching them?
8. What chore did Griet look forward to most?
(a) Repairing clothing.
(c) Washing laundry at the river.
(d) Cleaning the studio.
9. How many days did it take to prepare the celebration feast for the new baby?
(a) Two days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Ten days.
10. What was the only piece in the studio that Griet did not clean?
(a) A window sill.
(b) A canister of paints.
(c) A blue ball of fabric.
(d) A door knob.
11. Whom did Griet bond with most before beginning work at her new home?
12. Who watched Griet with a smirk as she almost touched the pearls sitting out in the studio?
13. According to Catharina, how did Vermeer feel about Griet's first cleaning of the studio?
(a) He is pleased.
(b) He does not even notice it is clean.
(c) He is disappointed.
(d) He is extremely angry.
14. What room was Griet to be in charge of cleaning without appearing to have moved anything?
(a) Vermeer's studio.
(d) Children's room.
15. On what day did Griet return home for her first day off since moving away?
Short Answer Questions
1. Griet knew that ________ was going to be trouble for her.
2. What did Griet think about the box Vermeer used when painting?
3. Where did Griet feel most at peace?
4. What did Catharina want Johannes to do for the family to get more money?
5. What was the name of the head maid in Griet's new home?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)