|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does David meet Hella when she comes back to town?
2. When the relationship between Hella and David deteriorates, what do they do too often?
3. Guillaume accuses Giovanni of what?
4. Where does Hella ask many questions about Giovanni?
5. Giovanni claims all Americans are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hella question David about his relationship with Giovanni?
2. How does Hella learn that David is a homosexual?
3. Even though David promises to move to another country with Giovanni, he secretly believes he will still do what?
4. What shocking news does David hear regarding Guillaume?
5. Why does David complain about Giovanni's room?
6. Why does Giovanni smash a cognac glass in Part Two: Chapter Three?
7. Why does David contemplate suicide?
8. Why does the newspaper sensationalize Guillaume's murder?
9. How does David learn the details of Giovanni's case?
10. Why did David dislike it when Giovanni called him an American?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David tries to pretend his first sexual encounter with a man was with Giovanni. In truth, David had a homosexual experience at a young age. Describe David's first homosexual encounter.
1) When and where did the encounter take place?
2) Who was involved?
3) How did this experience affect David?
Essay Topic 2
David chooses to live in Europe, after a brief stint in the army.
1) Where does David choose to live?
2) Describe the environment?
3) What aspects of this environment suit his personality?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his childhood, David struggled to gain control over his masculinity.
1) When does David first begin to struggle with his masculinity?
2) What actions does he take in an effort to be more masculine?
3) Do these efforts pay off? Why or why not?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)