|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What violent outburst comes from Giovanni, after he gets fired.
2. After David and Giovanni share their first sexual encounter, why does David stay?
3. What role does David take on while Giovanni is at work?
4. What begins to seem unclean to David?
5. At Giovanni's behest, who does David plan to ask for money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hella learn that David is a homosexual?
2. Why does Hella question David about his relationship with Giovanni?
3. What shocking news does David hear regarding Guillaume?
4. How does David learn the details of Giovanni's case?
5. Why is Giovanni's situation so difficult when David leaves?
6. What is Hella worried about, upon seeing David?
7. Why does David stare at the sailor on the street?
8. Why is Giovanni home when David returns from his tryst with Sue?
9. Why does Giovanni smash a cognac glass in Part Two: Chapter Three?
10. David suggests the garbage in the city goes to where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Youth is a predominate theme in Giovanni's Room. When David seems hesitant to begin a relationship with Giovanni, Jacques encourages him to live his life instead of letting it pass him by. Write an essay examining the idea of youth as a motivation for romance, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
David has a confusing relationship with Hella. Although he believes he feels love for her, he knows the relationship has no future. Analyze the various obstacles David and Hella would have to overcome in order to share an intimate, loving relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Giovanni is jealous of the relationship David shares with Hella. Write an essay discussing the various tactics Giovanni uses in an attempt to encourage David to end the relationship.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)