|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni warn David in regards to returning home?
2. What does Hella say Americans should never do?
3. According to her letter, Hella will visit what city prior to returning to Paris?
4. What does Guillaume call Giovanni when he fires him?
5. What did Giovanni steal from Guillaume's pockets, after murdering him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Giovanni smash a cognac glass in Part Two: Chapter Three?
2. Why does David stare at the sailor on the street?
3. Where do Hella and David find a house together?
4. Why does David take on the role of housewife while Giovanni is at the bar?
5. In what ways is Giovanni's room isolated?
6. What shocking news does David hear regarding Guillaume?
7. When Hella arrives, what does David do to Giovanni?
8. Why did David dislike it when Giovanni called him an American?
9. Why is the life in the south of France less than idyllic for David and Hella?
10. Who do Hella and David run into at a bookstore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paris serves as a vibrant backdrop in the story. Write an essay describing the city of Paris and how it adds to the story.
Essay Topic 2
As David lost his mother at an early age, his upbringing was less traditional than others. Describe David's family life as a child.
1) How does the loss of his mother affect him?
2) Who raises him?
3) What is his relationship with his father?
Essay Topic 3
Giovanni is jealous of the relationship David shares with Hella. Write an essay discussing the various tactics Giovanni uses in an attempt to encourage David to end the relationship.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)