|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the news of Guillaume's murder breaks, what happens to Giovanni?
2. When Giovanni is mad at David, what insult does he use to hurt him?
3. What is Guillaume wearing when he fires Giovanni?
4. What tragedy has Giovanni recently endured?
5. When David pictures Giovanni's in jail, what brings him to tears?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hella learn that David is a homosexual?
2. When Hella arrives, what does David do to Giovanni?
3. What does Giovanni's room make David think of?
4. Why does Giovanni smash a cognac glass in Part Two: Chapter Three?
5. Why does Giovanni make fun of the idea of David "hurting his feelings"?
6. Why is the life in the south of France less than idyllic for David and Hella?
7. What shocking news does David hear regarding Guillaume?
8. Why does David contemplate suicide?
9. Why does the newspaper sensationalize Guillaume's murder?
10. Why does David take on the role of housewife while Giovanni is at the bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After moving to Paris, David is not opposed to having homosexual friends or visiting homosexual bars, yet he will not admit to his true sexual preference. Examine this dichotomy in David's behavior, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Giovanni is an enigmatic character who meets an unfortunate end. Write a brief essay analyzing how Giovanni helped change David.
Essay Topic 3
When Hella returns, she becomes suspicious of the relationship between David and Giovanni.
1) When does Hella first meet Giovanni?
2) Why is she suspicious of the relationship?
3) What confirms her suspicions?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)