|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Giovanni refuse to pick up mail with David?
2. David believes that newspapers exist for a purpose other than what?
3. What bothers David about Giovanni's room?
4. What begins to seem unclean to David?
5. Giovanni claims all Americans are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is Giovanni's room isolated?
2. Why does David stare at the sailor on the street?
3. David suggests the garbage in the city goes to where?
4. Why does David take on the role of housewife while Giovanni is at the bar?
5. Where do Hella and David find a house together?
6. Why does Giovanni smash a cognac glass in Part Two: Chapter Three?
7. What is Hella worried about, upon seeing David?
8. Even though David promises to move to another country with Giovanni, he secretly believes he will still do what?
9. How does David learn the details of Giovanni's case?
10. When Hella arrives, what does David do to Giovanni?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After moving to Paris, David is not opposed to having homosexual friends or visiting homosexual bars, yet he will not admit to his true sexual preference. Examine this dichotomy in David's behavior, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
When Hella returns, she becomes suspicious of the relationship between David and Giovanni.
1) When does Hella first meet Giovanni?
2) Why is she suspicious of the relationship?
3) What confirms her suspicions?
Essay Topic 3
As David lost his mother at an early age, his upbringing was less traditional than others. Describe David's family life as a child.
1) How does the loss of his mother affect him?
2) Who raises him?
3) What is his relationship with his father?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)