|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David criticize about Giovanni?
2. When David pictures Giovanni's in jail, what brings him to tears?
3. David compares the house he lives in with Hella to what?
4. Who did Giovanni have a happy relationship with, prior to David?
5. Jacques suggests that he, Giovanni, David, and Hella do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Giovanni make fun of the idea of David "hurting his feelings"?
2. Why does Giovanni smash a cognac glass in Part Two: Chapter Three?
3. What is Hella worried about, upon seeing David?
4. What shocking news does David hear regarding Guillaume?
5. What does Giovanni's room make David think of?
6. How does David learn the details of Giovanni's case?
7. What does David notice about the American men at American Express?
8. Why does David stare at the sailor on the street?
9. When Hella arrives, what does David do to Giovanni?
10. How does Hella learn that David is a homosexual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Youth is a predominate theme in Giovanni's Room. When David seems hesitant to begin a relationship with Giovanni, Jacques encourages him to live his life instead of letting it pass him by. Write an essay examining the idea of youth as a motivation for romance, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
David chooses to live in Europe, after a brief stint in the army.
1) Where does David choose to live?
2) Describe the environment?
3) What aspects of this environment suit his personality?
Essay Topic 3
David has a confusing relationship with Hella. Although he believes he feels love for her, he knows the relationship has no future. Analyze the various obstacles David and Hella would have to overcome in order to share an intimate, loving relationship.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)