|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Hella returns, what news does David send his father?
2. What begins to seem unclean to David?
3. At Giovanni's behest, who does David plan to ask for money?
4. Giovanni believes he can tell Guillaume is in a bad mood when he does what?
5. Why is Giovanni's face puffy when David goes to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David learn the details of Giovanni's case?
2. Why does David complain about Giovanni's room?
3. Where do Hella and David find a house together?
4. Who do Hella and David run into at a bookstore?
5. Why does David take on the role of housewife while Giovanni is at the bar?
6. Why does Giovanni smash a cognac glass in Part Two: Chapter Three?
7. Why did David dislike it when Giovanni called him an American?
8. What does David believe about the murder?
9. Why does Hella question David about his relationship with Giovanni?
10. Why does Giovanni make fun of the idea of David "hurting his feelings"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the beginning, Jacques serves as a catalyst for the relationship with Giovanni. Instead of being grateful, David continues to treat Jacques terribly. Examine the relationship between Jacques and David.
Essay Topic 2
Giovanni is an enigmatic character who meets an unfortunate end. Write a brief essay analyzing how Giovanni helped change David.
Essay Topic 3
Youth is a predominate theme in Giovanni's Room. When David seems hesitant to begin a relationship with Giovanni, Jacques encourages him to live his life instead of letting it pass him by. Write an essay examining the idea of youth as a motivation for romance, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)