|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Giovanni's face puffy when David goes to see him?
2. Where does David meet Hella when she comes back to town?
3. What does David lie to Giovanni about?
4. How does Hella feel about Jacque?
5. What does David want out of life that he believes he cannot have if he is homosexual?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hella arrives, what does David do to Giovanni?
2. How does David learn the details of Giovanni's case?
3. Why is the life in the south of France less than idyllic for David and Hella?
4. Why is Giovanni's situation so difficult when David leaves?
5. Why does David stare at the sailor on the street?
6. David suggests the garbage in the city goes to where?
7. What shocking news does David hear regarding Guillaume?
8. What does David notice about the American men at American Express?
9. Why is Giovanni home when David returns from his tryst with Sue?
10. Why does the newspaper sensationalize Guillaume's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Giovanni's Room, dishonesty affects the lives of many people. Analyze how one of the following characters is affected by secrets.
Essay Topic 2
When Hella returns, she becomes suspicious of the relationship between David and Giovanni.
1) When does Hella first meet Giovanni?
2) Why is she suspicious of the relationship?
3) What confirms her suspicions?
Essay Topic 3
After moving to Paris, David is not opposed to having homosexual friends or visiting homosexual bars, yet he will not admit to his true sexual preference. Examine this dichotomy in David's behavior, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)